The dreaded shanks

gopher99

Visit site
It was almost a false dawn with the lesson, because we started off with 3 tees lined up and I was told hit the one on the far left of the three tees lined up. I constantly hit the left tee during the lesson, Next time i went to the driving range and was constantly shanking my short irons, I looked in the mirror when I was swinging and realised that I still was swinging in to out. The following day I went to the range, I held the short irons more upright and also closer to my body. My swing with the short irons is now more vertical, and I didn’t shank one ball at all. The proof will be tomorrow when I go play on the course.

gopher99

Visit site
The good news for me is I played today and didn’t hit one shank on the course. The bad news is, because I hit a natural draw holding the short irons almost upright caused me to miss everything left of the pin. Where i was a few days ago, I will take this all day long though? I might have to get the wedges bent to a flatter lie to compensate for holding the club more upright.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The good news for me is I played today and didn’t hit one shank on the course. The bad news is, because I hit a natural draw holding the short irons almost upright caused me to miss everything left of the pin. Where i was a few days ago, I will take this all day long though? I might have to get the wedges bent to a flatter lie to compensate for holding the club more upright.

Well played. I agree with Bob though and give it a few rounds before making any changes. Might be worth seeing a fitter to see how flat you need to make them. Bear in mind a cast club can't be bent too far without a risk of breaking it

gopher99

Visit site
Just a quick update, because I know a few of you have been worried about this and may have had some sleepless nights?. I have played 3 rounds with new playing style holding the wedges upright and not one shank. I have used the cobra forged tec one length gap wedge bent to 2 degrees flat for the last 2 rounds and this has worked perfectly. I am actually thinking about going the whole bag one length forged tec.