The Distance problem

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
For people that don’t want the pro’s to play different equipment, they essentially are already.
TaylorMade had about 9 different conforming balls on the list last year yet you could only buy 2 of them. All the Chromesoft guys were playing a different ball than you can’t buy in the shop, one that goes further btw.

A few of them play new wedges every week, ones that have been ground down to their exact specs for that week depending on conditions.

I don’t see a problem with them playing different equipment compared to amateurs.
Nah they are not play new wedges every week.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
It's not a matter of playing different equipment as much as a matter of the equipment being different by rule. Amateurs--recreational players, not elite amateur competitors-- can purchase a manufacturing facility and a team of engineers if the intent was to have different equipment regulated by the same rules.

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
This thread prompts a thought which may be slightly relevant,( enormous distance) but which you may wish to comment on.(or not ?)
I have not yet seen comment (on TV )about what I think is an enormous advantage the Tour Pros have in their competitions, in terms of their scores.
Often I see on tv that a player has hit ,say, 6 out of 11 fairways, or some such.
That means that several of their 300 yd drives have landed in rough etc.
If they were playing in that manner without tv coverage, without spectators being about, without "spotters", that would be a lot of lost balls would it not??
If they were playing like you and I play, I.e just the two of us on the tee and no one else watching where the ball might go, the prospect of either of the two knowing where the ball has landed 280-300yds away and finding it, is pretty remote.
So. How many more shots would be added to their round?
This is just a thought. I am not suggesting that there is a problem to be solved, because you cannot have Pro's golf tournaments in any other situation than obtains at present, TV, spectators etc can you.?

Agree wholeheartedly. I often say the same to my PPs when we are walking around in the rough looking for a ball that doesn’t want to be found. Not an issue for the pros ... however, a few instances of “shot and distance” would damage their cards and they might soon feel the need to throttle back on the booming distance and play more for accuracy.

Swango1980

Visit site
I agree with everything you say. I think we are discussing apples and oranges!
I'm not saying that Pros have it easier than us, but that they have an assistance we don't have. So they have it easier playing the Tournament courses than if they played it "on an ordinary day, just two of them having a day's golf"
Let me put it this way. If Rory and Gary Lineker and me arrived at Carnoustie unannounced and played a round together off the tournament tees, then (obviously) Rory would win, Lineker would be a poor second and I would be an abysmal last.?
But I'd wager that if RORY played his best shots for the Course( rather than course manage just to beat us ), his total would be more than when he played in , say, the Open.
Merely because when he went off the fairway on Drives, he wouldn't always find the ball. At his driving distances I'd say he would mostly lose his ball when going "off piste"
Only if he is wayward, and happens to lose a ball. You need to remember, his driving is very accurate, especially if he is on form.

I average 280 in summer, and I woll often get round without losing a ball. Of course, I'll have my bad days. If McIlroy averages 330 and is definitely more accurate than me, I'm sure there would be a reasonable chance for him not to lose a ball.

One further thing, when the pressure is off, they are deadly accurate. McIlroy would train at my home course in Bangor. On the practice hole he was hitting 5 iron to a green about 230, trying draws and fades. Out of about 15 balls, the furthest was about 15 foot from pin. I played with another guy who did ccollege golf in Florida with +3 handicap. By far the biggest, most accurate hitter I've seen in my life (in February in golf trip for example drove it on to 370 yard par 4 green, no wind). I asked him why he never made it. He said, the difference is, when inside about 130 yards, the ones that make it get up and down virtually every single time if there is no pressure.

D

Deleted member 16999

Technology in ALL sports has moved on massively over the last 20 years, every other sport seems to embrace this except Golf.

Why not look to the future and how to develop the game rather looking backwards and trying to stop these advances.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Technology in ALL sports has moved on massively over the last 20 years, every other sport seems to embrace this except Golf.

Why not look to the future and how to develop the game rather looking backwards and trying to stop these advances.
If the likes of TM etc had there way, they would go the opposite direction and max out everything so we are all hitting monster drives.