The Caversham (Formerly Caversham Heath)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Very excited to have been picked to play The Caversham in the club match at the weekend. Haven't been there since 2018 or 2019 - definitely before Covid and the Reading GC takeover. Hoping to see some familiar faces (and they haven't left since the merger) as they were always a really good set of boys both on and off the course

Has anyone played it, ideally recently, since the changes have been made. I know several holes have been changed and I understand the first no longer goes right to left up and over the brow of the hill to a green down the hill. Where does the first go? Is the second the one across the dip and up the top of the hill? What is the condition like. I know they had done a bunker renovation programme.

I always seem to play half decently there and have been in good form so hoping that carries forward. Would be nice to win the away leg for a change rather than having to battle to make up a deficit in the return and win (keep) the trophy

Cake

Club Champion
Visit site
I know several holes have been changed and I understand the first no longer goes right to left up and over the brow of the hill to a green down the hill. Where does the first go? Is the second the one across the dip and up the top of the hill? What is the condition like. I know they had done a bunker renovation programme.

I’m also keen to hear more about the course, planning to play with a mate that lives in reading later this summer.

1st now runs up the hill you used to walk up to get to the old 1st tee… starts down to the right below the clubhouse, so you effectively play across the old 1st fairway; green is up towards the practise ground.

2nd is a par three that plays down the hill, to the old 1st’s green.

Old 2nd (the one across the dip and up the top of the hill) is now the 3rd… etc

a couple of holes have switched been around to improve the flow (old 7th is now 16th; old 17th is now 8th)

9th has an entirely new green

Old 13th (par 3) has been removed (now a spare hole/short game practice area).

18th has a new green cut into the hill by the clubhouse - much more interesting finish than the old course I think.

Pretty sure every hole has new bunkers on it, which means if you play off appropriate tees for your distance then they are in play or at least make you think about them.

Condition is very good, especially considering the amount of heavy machinery that has been moving around for the past year (and still is in a couple of places. Greens may not be up to Royal Ascot’s vaunted standards, but good enough.

4LEX

Visit site
The changes are for the better, although the original layout was pretty good IMO.

Drive the ball well and the yardage is nothing. It's all about putting your wedges close and putting well.