The big cat is purring again

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Having never seen Jack play, I'm fully in the Woods camp. I don't say that lightly, as I've seen plw ty of footage, but statisticallt Woods appears to me to be ahead. That said, as much as I want Woods to beat his record, I don't think he will. Which will make the argument rage.

I'd love to see the counter if Woods did beat it though. All of a sudden, being nice and not spitting would count for being the greatest when 18 has been used for so long.....

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Having never seen Jack play, I'm fully in the Woods camp. I don't say that lightly, as I've seen plw ty of footage, but statisticallt Woods appears to me to be ahead. That said, as much as I want Woods to beat his record, I don't think he will. Which will make the argument rage.

I'd love to see the counter if Woods did beat it though. All of a sudden, being nice and not spitting would count for being the greatest when 18 has been used for so long.....

They would switch to 2nd places in the majors. Jack has loads more than Tiger.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site

"Golf is a gentlemans game. You can't be a great golfer without being a good man first..."

Or something similar

🤮

User20204

Visit site
Nice guys finish last.

Anyway, Jack is the best major player ever, not in dispute and I am old enough to have seen him play and personally witness him winning a major but no one has ever played the game to standard Woods has, I can't see how that could ever be disputed either.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Still Jack for me based on majors alone. Totally appreciate the Woods achievement especially winning another major and tour events and coming back from injury but for my tuppence worth, it's based on majors first and foremost

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Was hearing today about some of SS victories. Three were with a field of 6 and one had a field of 4 😂😂

On top of that some wins were over 36 holes with one just 18 holes. While still others were pairs/team events!

But at the end of the day they are what they are and the pga are happy to recognise Snead's record as 82 Just like the old 'grand slam' isn't the same comps it is now but comparisons are still made
All legendary players... but Tiger's top of the tree

User20204

Visit site
Yep, the sooner he gets to 83 then SS will be quickly consigned to the same as Jack's runner ups in majors, why do people always reference his runner ups, nobody cares who comes second.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
So do major wins always decide who the greatest player is rather than tour wins?
If that’s the case then Angel Cabrera is obviously greater than Westwood,Monty & Sergio🤷‍♂️

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
So do major wins always decide who the greatest player is rather than tour wins?
If that’s the case then Angel Cabrera is obviously greater than Westwood,Monty & Sergio🤷‍♂️
I you were to use a football analogy surely how many CL or PL titles you win has to outweigh an FA or League Cup win. In my own opinion, majors are what golfers would like to be measured on, and while tour wins, especially the number Woods has amassed is superb but until he gets to 18 majors Nicklaus remains the GOAT in my mind

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I you were to use a football analogy surely how many CL or PL titles you win has to outweigh an FA or League Cup win. In my own opinion, majors are what golfers would like to be measured on, and while tour wins, especially the number Woods has amassed is superb but until he gets to 18 majors Nicklaus remains the GOAT in my mind
That's not even comparable. Any cup team including the CL can be won by a team on a run, just like a major. The best team in a country is the league winner.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
So You’d rank Cabrera above Westwood,Monty & García?

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
So You’d rank Cabrera above Westwood,Monty & García?
Cabrera definitely more naturally talented than Westwood, similar type of golfer to Monty but a longer hitter and head and shoulders above Garcia from a mental point of view. Monty should have won majors but as the years went on nerves probably got the better of him and also the longer he went without winning a major he felt alot of pressure to win one. Cabrera always almost looked like he couldn't care whether he won or lost, he was a very talented golfer, much more than he gets credit for

Pin-seeker

Visit site
In terms of winning the top prizes then yes. What criteria do you measure the greatest on?
Personally I don’t think who ever as won the most majors necessarily makes them the better golfer. so someone wins 30 times but no majors.
Someone wins 1 major but that’s it.
Who’s had the better career?

Pin-seeker

Visit site
When you’ve got one on 18 & one on 15 that played in different eras I really don’t think comes into it.
You’ll get Tiger haters or Jack fan boys using it,& Tiger fans disagreeing with it.
If Tiger got to 18 I’m sure we’d be hearing how the competition aren’t as good as when Jack played.