The big cat is purring again

D

Deleted member 15344

GOAT is back seems to be the general consensus. I've not seen one bit of the golf either, maybe worth trying to view some highlights.
Didn’t think he went anywhere ?

But do expect him to play a more “tailored” schedule this year to preserve his fitness and back/knee to ensure he is fit for the majors or big PGA events.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of my bosses raised a point after he won the masters , he could be back to the best he ever was but can we tell because the field has stepped itself up so much his distance always set him apart and now he is not really a long hitter

Hats off if he wins again and equals the record

Really want him to smash all the records

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
One of my bosses raised a point after he won the masters , he could be back to the best he ever was but can we tell because the field has stepped itself up so much his distance always set him apart and now he is not really a long hitter

Hats off if he wins again and equals the record

Really want him to smash all the records

Having grown up watching him, his driving was imo the least relevant of his attributes imo. He hit it far off the tee, but I’d wager every year his short game stats outweighed his driving. Not to mention his iron play is still as good as anyone’s.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Having grown up watching him, his driving was imo the least relevant of his attributes imo. He hit it far off the tee, but I’d wager every year his short game stats outweighed his driving. Not to mention his iron play is still as good as anyone’s.

That's the point tho, his iron play is the best

Tiger understood shots gained before it was a thing

He knew distance would give him an edge and he just pushed his body to the limit to get that distance all time

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
That's the point tho, his iron play is the best

Tiger understood shots gained before it was a thing

He knew distance would give him an edge and he just pushed his body to the limit to get that distance all time
https://www.pgatour.com/players/player.08793.tiger-woods.html

According to the pga website, since they started showing stats gained for both driving and putting. His driving was never better than the rest of his game. No matter how far he tried to smash it, the other facets of his game got it done.

I’m not saying the distance he got didn’t help, but for me, saying the distance was the main difference maker is wrong.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
https://www.pgatour.com/players/player.08793.tiger-woods.html

According to the pga website, since they started showing stats gained for both driving and putting. His driving was never better than the rest of his game. No matter how far he tried to smash it, the other facets of his game got it done.

I’m not saying the distance he got didn’t help, but for me, saying the distance was the main difference maker is wrong.

That's the point of strokes gained tho isn't it

Driving distance is king now for pros

He got say 30 yards on the field meaning he could take a 9 where someone else was going in with a 7, more control

Par 5s in 2 more eagle chances

Down to distance

The whole tiger proofing courses was adding length was it not?

He's length now is max it can be and he's behind the others however his irons are great and will win him tournaments yes but say give him DJs length on top of all the rest he got and he would win even more

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
That's the point of strokes gained tho isn't it

Driving distance is king now for pros

He got say 30 yards on the field meaning he could take a 9 where someone else was going in with a 7, more control

Par 5s in 2 more eagle chances

Down to distance

The whole tiger proofing courses was adding length was it not?

He's length now is max it can be and he's behind the others however his irons are great and will win him tournaments yes but say give him DJs length on top of all the rest he got and he would win even more

I agree his length helped, but for me the whole tiger proofing was pointless. Making it longer simply made it longer for everyone. Then his irons be that a 7 or a 5 just made more of a difference.

I just think it's too simplistic to say the length he hit it was the main reason for his success.

Nowadays the longest hitters win more, but its still usually that 3 or 4 of them drive well each week and then one of them has a good week with the short irons and putter and that gets em the win. In his pomp tigers shirt game was on more often that anyone else's.

Edit

Just had a look. The top 40 golfers were all within 20 yards of him in 1997, by 2003 it was the top 170.

Last edited:

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can't watch any more of it.
Woods is just superb, and good on him, but the commentators have turned it into a Tiger Woods love in, in fact it's almost a documentary.
It just turns me cold ...................... others are playing, apparently.

Last edited:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I can't watch any more of it.
Woods is just superb, and good on him, but the commentators have turned it into a Tiger Woods love in, in fact it's almost a documentary.
It just turns me cold ...................... others are playing apparently.

you just Hideki making birdie ;)