The best thing about...

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
For me, golf is probably 50% hitting balls and holing putts, and 50% getting out in the fresh air, bit of exercise, taking in the wildlife etc

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Range work is great for honing technique but there is only one way to learn how to play golf and that is on the course. Nothing replicates different lies, course management and the pressure you feel when you're having a good round, especially in a competition and look to close it out for a handicap cut and hopefully a win

Sully

Visit site
How long was it before hitting balls on a range before you went on a course?
I’m still practicing on a range, am going to start lessons in the next fortnight .

Have to say I find the idea of slowing people down quite intimidating hence reluctant to get on a range till I can hit a ball half decent.

RangeMonkey

Visit site
I’m still practicing on a range, am going to start lessons in the next fortnight .

Have to say I find the idea of slowing people down quite intimidating hence reluctant to get on a range till I can hit a ball half decent.

I started in August, so about 4 months.

I’ve had about 8 lessons in that time, and hit over 5000 balls on the range.

I went out on my own, on a par 3 course for the very reason you mentioned: not wanting to slow people down. There was nobody behind me on both days, but I’d have asked them to play through if there had been.

Also, I was quite nervous. I’ve not had any involvement with golf before, and I don’t know anybody who plays, so I had no “way in” to get on a course, other than by rocking up and asking to play a round.

After looking at local courses web sites, I found one that looked amenable to beginners, and popped in for a chat. The guy reassured me it would be no trouble. I figured it would be quiet over the holidays, so that’s when I plucked up the courage to give it a go.

I’m really glad I did, and frankly wish I’d done it sooner. Much sooner.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

We all started somewhere. Do you have anyone else who is either learning the game or ideally already plays you can hook up with to play? The simple advice is go out, enjoy it and simply let those coming up behind through. It may make it a long round but you won't feel so rushed and others can enjoy their game as well. Have a couple of lessons and speak to the teaching pro who I am sure can give you some solid advice about playing and when he thinks it's best to go out etc

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
After looking at local courses web sites, I found one that looked amenable to beginners, and popped in for a chat. The guy reassured me it would be no trouble. I figured it would be quiet over the holidays, so that’s when I plucked up the courage to give it a go.

Whereabouts in the country are you?

Sully

Visit site

I went out on my own, on a par 3 course for the very reason you mentioned: not wanting to slow people down. There was nobody behind me on both days, but I’d have asked them to play through if there had been.

Also, I was quite nervous. I’ve not had any involvement with golf before, and I don’t know anybody who plays, so I had no “way in” to get on a course, other than by rocking up and asking to play a round.

Thanks , Have to say reading your experience makes me feel better.

Seeing how well everyone at the range hits the balls just intimidates me more from going on a course. It’s only been about 6 weeks since I started going to the range on a regular basis . But I am improving and I am really enjoying it .

I will do what you did when I’m ready and go during the week on a par 3 .

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
I very definitely believe in practice. It's an irrefutable truth that the more one practices, the luckier bounces one gets.

Practice is hard for seniors, however. One shot after another without a calming cart ride in between shots is difficult on the "mature" (read fat and decrepit) body.
When we feel well enough to practice, that's when we play.

Sully

Visit site
We all started somewhere. Do you have anyone else who is either learning the game or ideally already plays you can hook up with to play? The simple advice is go out, enjoy it and simply let those coming up behind through. It may make it a long round but you won't feel so rushed and others can enjoy their game as well. Have a couple of lessons and speak to the teaching pro who I am sure can give you some solid advice about playing and when he thinks it's best to go out etc

Thankfully I have a friend who is on a similar level to me and is equally keen to learn . Strength in numbers and all that!
We’re starting lessons together too

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Great to hear. Enjoy (y)

HarrogateHacker

Visit site

I wouldn’t worry too much, get on a course, pick a quieter time to play, let people through if you’re holding them up, we’ve all had to learn. Or find a Par 3 course, I played Ramsdale Par 3 a good few times, which for me was a better way of prepping for a full course than the range.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site

There’s no substitute to getting on the course and trust me when I say there are tons of hackers out there.

Tips
Find a beginner friendly course or a municipal to start with.

As said above, if you lose the group in front let the group behind through but try and play up as much of the whole while they are walking up to you to keep your pace going.

The biggest irritant is slow play and it’s easy to avoid if your always ready to play, Mark your scorecard on the next tee and always make sure your bag is at a decent exit point to the next hole.

Above all have fun. We all hit bad shots and if you get a chance to look around the course as you play you are bound to see some really bad shots to prove it.