The Best Balls

MikeTimbers

Medal Winner
Visit site
I use Pro V1x and on a good day don't lose any so it's worth it. The feel around the greens is worth the extra cost and does save me shots.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Pro V1's for me too, I have tried and tested precepts, maxflis, titleist harder compounds, Warbirds etc and none of them stop as abruptly for me when I want them to as the pro v1's. The callaway Hx Tour 56's are every bit as good for feel and distance but seem to be painted with tippex, it just falls off within 2-3 holes, I now know why I have never seen any original lake ball hxtour 56's.

Lloydy84

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Im currently using hx 56s, agree the paint flakes after about a few holes, the longest ive had one is 4 rounds, surprisingly it wasn't much worse off than after 9 holes.

i use these instead of provs because they were on offer in our pro shop, and i like the hexagonal dimples.

it's amazing the difference in spin from a hx56 and warbird, i,d been playing with my hx all day, 60yard pw pitches were stopping dead. on the last i changed to a warbird ( driving over a river 240 carry) got over to about 60 yds to green, sme pw shot, bounced by the flag, b***rd off 15 feet past!

Craigy_Mac

Medal Winner
Visit site
You will only notice a real difference and get the beneffits when you become 1 of the low single figure h/c. ie, 4 and less.
Anyway who cares what ball you use as long as your on the course enjoying it.

The23rdman

Challenge Tour Pro
www.soulfulphotograpy.co.uk
You will only notice a real difference and get the beneffits when you become 1 of the low single figure h/c. ie, 4 and less.
Anyway who cares what ball you use as long as your on the course enjoying it.

with all due respect I think that's nonsense. The difference between a rock and a 3 piece ball is obvious. The short game played with a decent ball is a pleasure. With a rock the ball fizzes off the clubface and is very tough to control. You don't need to be a pro to appreciate that.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
As a rookie I used Top Flite, Tour Edition and anything I could get change from £10 a dozen but once I was brought into the light and started using Balata and softer balls my handicap came down significantly. Golfers of all levels can benifit from stopping the ball on the greens.

StuartD

Tour Rookie
Visit site
As a rookie I used Top Flite, Tour Edition and anything I could get change from £10 a dozen but once I was brought into the light and started using Balata and softer balls my handicap came down significantly. Golfers of all levels can benifit from stopping the ball on the greens.

Handicap has come down significantly!!! Not enough yet though.

100% agree with what you say. I certainly noticed the difference between a TP Red and the Burner TP that I used at Blairgowrie. I certainly did not get the ball to stop as quickly around the greens.

Oh and the TP Burner does not fly straight. It kept going 50 yards left off every tee!!!!
:eek: :eek:

Toad

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I started out using Top Flight Balata balls also but now only use Titleist NXT Tour balls, they feel soft and I can get them to stop quickly on the green, the ones that are on target anyway :p

The23rdman

Challenge Tour Pro
www.soulfulphotograpy.co.uk
I agree. The feel of a 3 piece especially off a putter face is significantly softer than one/two piece balls. It is easier to feel the putt.

Funnily enough the difference between a very good two piece ball and a three piece is harder to notice. I play Nike PowerSoft most of the time and this ball has held up against some of the most expensive balls in all areas.