The Best Balls

Sam

Head Pro
Visit site
OK seen to thread on Lake balls and a lot of sensible comment about deterioration and inconsistency - makes sense. Why, however, do the top balls have such a following?
1. Yardage. At amateur level, the difference cannot make a stroke in a single hole. Putting aside mis-hits, I might have to take a less lofted club but in distance terms I can always get to the green in regulation with my cheaper balls (new ones)
2. Putting. Can't see how it makes a difference once you are used to your ball of choice.
3. Back-spin. Maybe some day!

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
some of the top balls like pro v's are soft and ya cheaper ones are harder (i.e pinnacles). So getting to the GIR with a cheaper ball might be because its a harder one and will probably travel further than a softer one with the equivelent strike. If that makes sense.

It all depends what you want from ya ball, I think its broken down into either Distance or Control pretty much. I prefere a softer ball because it feels better to strike and i think you get more of a feel on chip shot and putting etc.

Hope this helps, although i probably just waffled aload of nonsense you already knew.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Agreed. I want a ball that I feel even my crappy swing can control when chipping and putting and not feel like a small pebble and with similar attributes.

From a distance perspective I am a relatively short hitter anyway so I am use to taking one or two clubs more than my partners. I'd rather play tw from the middle of the fairway than deep rough (sadly the 2nd option is happening anyway).

Its all about choice and what you want. If you want a long distance ball then the Pinnacles of this world will suffice. If you want to be able to drive reasonably long distances but with maximum spin and feel the premium end of the market is probably the best place to start.

If however you want as much distance as possible and only want to sacrifice a small amount of control then you are in NXT, AD333 territory. Designed for the golfer who wants the best of both worlds.

Well thats my opinion and I'm sure fellow forum members will disagree

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
i gotta agree with that last, i am testing ad 333's and find them to be long and controlable, a good happy medium. Excellent ball's. May even use them full time! Cheap too.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Even if I wanted to hit Pro Vs the cost would put me off. I would have to get seriously good to justify the price. I have found a couple of balls in the £15.00 per dozen mark that suit me (Wilson staff DX2 Soft and Inesis TD Tours) so try to stick to them.

WHat worries me is that the mid price ball seems to be another victim of the new model and price increase every year. So far I have seen this happen to AD333s, Titleist NXT, Callaway HX Hot and Titleist PTS Solos already this year and I am sure more will follow.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
DX2 softs are good , i used Srixon ZURC's last summer and like them a lot. They are just as good as pro v1's and a few quid cheaper.

I think you need a decent ball in summer to stop the ball on hard greens.

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
I bought a dozen ProV's from the pro at my new club on thursday. Basically was a chance to introduce myself & spend a couple of quid with him.

I must admit that I enjoyed playing my round with them and they really bite on the short shorts when chipping & pitching. As I only lost 1 ball I may even stick with them as although expensive they seem to wear well and if I aint losing loads the cost isn't a factor.

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Picked up the new Wilson Staff PX3 yesterday, they are much like the DX2 but are suppose to travel further. Will be playing with them next week so will report back.

Srixon also have a cheap soft ball, its in a green box, cant remember the name but they are suppose to be a decent ball.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
I got little miss maddy one of those DISCO balls (the ones that have a built in light that changes colour when struck) and am keeping it for those twilight finishes we all have early on in the season.

Sorry honey but I will get you something else.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
I got a homer simpson one for xmas in a novelty set. Its not even round but it sure lights up well in the dark. Think it will break if i hit it with a driver! Mate also got me a crazy remote ball that is meant to snake like mad on the putting green, instructions tell you too swap it with your partners ball, hah yeah right how???

minty18

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The callaway warbirds are superb balls, i seem to be able to hit them long and get a great feel around the green. I'll be using these balls for the forseeable future.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Had a go with the new Taylormade Burner balls today. Great distance and reasonable feel and very straight off the driver. They are probably a bit overpriced but if they caem down to the £15.00 a dozen price point then I would certainly use them more often.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
£18.00 a dozen but I prefer them to the Warbirds. You may laugh but if you like Warbirds, give Topflite Freaks a try. I reviewed them for the readers panel and they have a similar feel but are even longer.

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I got little miss maddy one of those DISCO balls (the ones that have a built in light that changes colour when struck) and am keeping it for those twilight finishes we all have early on in the season.

Sorry honey but I will get you something else.

I was given the gift of a special golf ball at christmas. You go to strike it and it breaks out in peals of laughter and wobbles all over the place.

A more appropriate golf gift for me I couldn't imagine :D

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I seem to have something similar. Several times I have hit the ball so badly off the tee that everyone around bursts into peals of laughter.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I use any old thing in my bag....and tend just to buy a brand-name ball. As for "how do you mark your Titleist?", well I don't, I go with whatever's around at the time that isn't either high spin/soft or out and out "distance" rock hard. So I've got Nike/Callaway/Titleist/Srixon in the boot of my car and just pull out a fresh sleave for the round.

Backspin....who gives a >>>>>, not relevant for me, sometimes I come up short, sometimes I race it by, until I'm pitching like a 0-5 player, can't see the point.

General spin rate (off drivers/irons), yes, maybe, I wouldn't buy a sleeve that says high spin off driver!!!!!

StuartD

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have tried the Burner TP balls, but cant say I am a fan.

The AD333 or Trispeed are a softer ball. I previously used the TP Red but am currently looking for a cheaper alternative to the pro V1 and TP Red.