The 59 club

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hadn't heard of this until last week. My friend is now a member. Don't ask how you get in. I don't know. It's a benchmarking service provided to the hotel and leisure industry and he's in that business anyway so got asked to join by a colleague.

http://www.59clubmembers.co.uk/

The upshot is that my pal now gets to "test" golf courses for free, invite up to 3 friends along to do likewise and the payback is a VERY detailed review of the course, hotel, facilities, quality of service/food etc....even down to the quality of the loo paper in the toilets. The DeVere, Marriott and Macdonald Hotel groups etc. are effectively paying for him (and us) to play their courses and eat their food as a secret shopper and report back to them so that they can make improvements.

So later today 3 of us are off to Cardrona in Peebles for a round. (Looking out the window I don't think there are enough waterproofs in the world). And later this month we're booked up for the Carrick at Loch Lomond .... and there are more to come. Spey Valley later in the year etc.

Free golf and food on new courses. Kaching!

(Review of Cardona under water to follow)

:D

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
You can start loving me again, mate. It's cancelled today. Apparently it's pissing down with snow in Peebles so we've postponed! FFS. Oh well. Just have to play it in the blazing sunshine instead.

:p :p

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Cheers Andy.

Apparently there's a bus stuck in snow at Gilmerton! And there are blue skies (albeit windy) here in Leith. WTF.

Anyhoo. Off to North Berwick for a hit instead. Canny waste a day when I was all hyped up.

T

thecraw

Jon,

I write the report for you.

CARDRONA,

Crap, very wet slog, piss poor condition and a waste of petrol to get there.

THE CARRICK

Over hyped bog. Very poor condition with dire drainage and thread bare greens. A couple of beautiful looking holes but would not rush back.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Cheers Crawford. I'll no bother then!

Sounds like they both need a good independent "review" by some fair minded golfers then. Played neither. Will be interesting.

I had heard bad things about Cardrona for being wet so might as well see for myself at their expense rather than mine.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Would it be rude simply to write "Your course is pish" on the questionnaire?

I think this is the whole point of the 59 club. The facility wants to improve. Good managers listen to criticism (and act upon it). It sounds like the questionnaire is extremely detailed. Such things as "What did you think of the condition of the bunker at the 4th?" etc.

No point in holding anything back.

T

thecraw

Yep, blimmen lovely down here.

Why is it so pish in Gods country?

Well he gave us the best golf courses, the best drink, best scenery, I guess we just have to make the best of the weather he gave us!

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why do we do it, eh?

After getting bombed out at Cardrona through bad weather we ventured down to Glen GC in North Berwick for a hit. Err, there was a wee breeze (ok....it blew a hooly all day!)

To be honest I was knackered by the 6th just trying to stand upright. I can't remember the last time I've had to hit so many 3 woods off the deck...although they were pretty good today, even if I say so myself.

Here's the signature hole, the 13th. A wee, 130 yard par 3. Downhill. Usually a wedge. Today I creamed a 4 iron as low as I can hit it, lovely flight.... and it just made the back edge. So that'll be a 6 club wind, then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpEWsaEdYVg

3 of my pals are now members down there so I'll probably end up playing more there than my home course. Why wouldn't I when it's a tenner to get signed on and it's £12 to play my own course? And views to die for, even in a gale.

Oh, and just for you Essex chappies. Membership... £430 a year. No joining fee!

What's that? Is that boaking and gnashing of teeth I hear?

Oh, and I'm liking this wee pocket camcorder of mine. So much so that I bought a 2nd one off eBay the other day (for those artistic shots & forum meets)

:eek: :eek:

benhobden

Club Champion
Visit site
I suppose the big issue here is shelling out a load of cash and not being certain that you will ever see it again. Has anyone actually incurred an expense and received their money back??