The 2014 Ryder Cup!

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
So what was DD doing fronting the Ryder Cup opening and closing ceremonies if it wasn't for her being a rather nice 'bit of skirt'. And for me that's the truth of it no matter how much the organisers put up her 'golfing capability' or 'golf tv presenter' history.

What brazen misogyny. So there's no way a female can do that role purely based on her ability?

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
What brazen misogyny. So there's no way a female can do that role purely based on her ability?

Not according to some in the world of golf. And they wonder why the ratio of female to male members of golf clubs in the UK is the lowest in Europe. Sad thing is a bet a few are quite proud of that fact.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Was she the one at the opening ceremony when the first day matches were announced?

Sounded like she thought she was in a panto!

"Do you want to know who's playing?"

"I can't hear you... do you want to know who's playing?"

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think its always tough for a losing US captain. There still seems to be an air of expectancy that it's a given they'll win despite Medinah and the European domination at home. I think he maybe got a couple of decisions wrong (I'd have perhaps played Leftie on Saturday) but there again once you've made the decision it's down to the players to perform.

I agree that Di Dougherty was definitely milking the opening ceremony and seemed a little out of her depth at the closing one and very unsure what was going on but someone has to do it and it's nice that at least there is a female participation in some way

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

I was clear and deliberate about putting the words bit of skirt in quotes - making it clear that they are not my words as I am fully aware that they can be taken as being derogatory. That was actually just my point. Loads of folks out there who were better qualified and with more ability than DD to do the job.

D

Deleted member 15344

Di Doughty also presented the opening and closing ceremony for the 2010 Ryder Cup

Very knowledgeable golf presenter who decided to scale back her telly work due to starting a family

Lovely person and thought she did very well

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was clear and deliberate about putting the words bit of skirt in quotes - making it clear that they are not my words as I am fully aware that they can be taken as being derogatory. That was actually just my point. Loads of folks out there who were better qualified and with more ability than DD to do the job.

It's not the quoted phrase that's derogatory, rather the entire premise of your post.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Di Doughty also presented the opening and closing ceremony for the 2010 Ryder Cup

Very knowledgeable golf presenter who decided to scale back her telly work due to starting a family

Lovely person and thought she did very well

I was at a pro-am at Wenty a couple of years ago and she gave a kid a look of thunder and flatly refused an autograph. Not so lovely that day. :(

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
It's not the quoted phrase that's derogatory, rather the entire premise of your post.

The premise of my post is simply that having an attractive young lady doing this sort of thing when many could do it may not send out the correct message about golf being an inclusive sport.

Rather I suggest it might tend to indicate to those who dislike golf for being misogynistic, that when ladies are allowed in golf the lads like their ladies to be highly attractive (to blokes) - so we are playing right into their hands. We wouldn't expect any bloke doing the job to look like David Gandy so why do we expect our female presenters to be drop dead gorgeous.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
The premise of my post is simply that having an attractive young lady doing this sort of thing when many could do it may not send out the correct message about golf being an inclusive sport.

Rather I suggest it might tend to indicate to those who dislike golf for being misogynistic, that when ladies are allowed in golf the lads like their ladies to be highly attractive (to blokes) - so we are playing right into their hands. We wouldn't expect any bloke doing the job to look like David Gandy so why do we expect our female presenters to be drop dead gorgeous.

In that case, you are partly correct but it is a double edged sword. You don't get unattractive female presenters which is one form of sexism you rightly identify. However, it is equally wrong to slate an attractive female presenter for only getting the job based on her looks.

David who? :confused:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
In that case, you are partly correct but it is a double edged sword. You don't get unattractive female presenters which is one form of sexism you rightly identify. However, it is equally wrong to slate an attractive female presenter for only getting the job based on her looks.

David who? :confused:

Nothing against her and why wouldn't she accept. It's the organisers considerations and motivations on who they should have doing the opening and closing ceremonies that I would question.

I am reliably informed that David Gandy (a model) is world's most sexy guy.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Nothing against her and why wouldn't she accept. It's the organisers considerations and motivations on who they should have doing the opening and closing ceremonies that I would question.

I am reliably informed that David Gandy (a model) is world's most sexy guy.

I thought he was shot?