The 2014 Ryder Cup!

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Didn't she used to present golf on Sky? She's married to Nick Dougherty and she has a golf hcp lower than a lot of posters on here

Yes she did, she was moved on for Sarah Stirk. As you say, a female who is very good a presenting and can play golf. Give me that over a lot of anonymous blazers any day of the week.

bozza

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
From what I've heard from media reports on Twitter Tom Watson and Mickleson won't be sending eachother Christmas cards.

Sly digs at eachother and getting very awkward from the reports.

Andy808

Tour Winner
Visit site
From what I've heard from media reports on Twitter Tom Watson and Mickleson won't be sending eachother Christmas cards.

Sly digs at eachother and getting very awkward from the reports.

If true then that's pretty pathetic from Mickelson.
The captain has to make a decision and ALL the players should respect and support that decision.

bozza

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If true then that's pretty pathetic from Mickelson.
The captain has to make a decision and ALL the players should respect and support that decision.

Sounds like Watson lost the team pretty early on with his decision to not play Speith/Reed in the foursomes on Friday and not playing Mickleson at all on the Saturday.

Sounds like Phil is blaming the captain and Watson is blaming the players.

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
Overall, I think that might just the best Ryder Cup ever.

Stunning venue - (still kicking myself for not playing golf when we stayed at Gleneagles years ago)
Great result- naturally!
Great crowds and atmosphere. I'm not a fan of the excessively partisan chanting and heckling, and I thought the galleries were really fair and applauded good shots from whoever

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
...and thankyou to Sky for their coverage.

Over the three days I'd been watching closely players address positions - especially when driving as I twigged I might not be doing something quite right. So 5pm this evening I went out for 10 holes to try out my observations. Played two balls as course empty (something on TV I think) and on the 6 holes I used my driver I hit 3 'best ever' tee shots; two 'up there with the best' and one maybe 10yds back from best. Well, well.

And it worked for my irons as well. So on our 535yd Par5 14th I hit my best ever tee shot on that hole (by maybe 20yds) and miraculously followed it with my best ever 5iron - reaching the green though I wasn't actually playing for it. No - I didn't pitch it - but it got there with a couple of bounces and rolling up and on :) I missed my 12fter eagle putt - but hey. Have I discovered the key for me...? Who knows - but it was fun. Until the next time and it all goes hoirribly wrong...

And so dear Sky - as much as I found some of your coverage a bit wanting - you may have provided me with the key and so ALL is forgiven :)

Last edited:

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
...and thankyou to Sky for their coverage.

Over the three days I'd been watching closely players address positions
- especially when driving as I twigged I might not be doing something quite right. So 5pm this evening I went out for 10 holes to try out my observations. Played two balls as course empty (something on TV I think) and on the 6 holes I used my driver I hit 3 'best ever' tee shots; two 'up there with the best' and one maybe 10yds back from best. Well, well.

And it worked for my irons as well. So on our 535yd Par5 14th I hit my best ever tee shot on that hole (by maybe 20yds) and miraculously followed it with my best ever 5iron - reaching the green though I wasn't actually playing for it. No - I didn't pitch it - but it got there with a couple of bounces and rolling up and on :) I missed my 12fter eagle putt - but hey. Have I discovered the key for me...? Who knows - but it was fun. Until the next time and it all goes hoirribly wrong...

And so dear Sky - as much as I found some of your coverage a bit wanting - you may have provided me with the key and so ALL is forgiven :)

I thought this was going to be about HSNP !

But what's the secret?

I too think i found my "secret" yesterday but am not giving details as it is either a) blatantly obvious or b) totally wrong

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I thought this was going to be about HSNP !

But what's the secret?

I too think i found my "secret" yesterday but am not giving details as it is either a) blatantly obvious or b) totally wrong

Blatantly obvious I'm afraid. Not 'historical' but certainly 'natural' and 'standing position'. It was ball and hands position (not grip). My address was fine for my 'old' backswing take-away (well it worked). But for what I am working on at the moment my old address wasn't at all right for driver. Revise address and combine with 'new' backswing take-away - bingo! If I concentrate I can get a nice swing tempo and not uncouple body and arms as I have been doing at top of my backswing. Feels solid and together - lovely. And great results.

And btw - the HNSP will always be.

Last edited:

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Yes she did, she was moved on for Sarah Stirk. As you say, a female who is very good a presenting and can play golf. Give me that over a lot of anonymous blazers any day of the week.
I can't think why Sky replaced her (Di Dougherty) with Sarah Stirk, as the latter is not particularly attractive, has a boring voice and can only talk in journalistic cliches! :rolleyes:

U

User62651

Why were US players Billy Horschel and Chris Kirk not in the US team, clearly players on form going by the money list, too late for the selection process I suspect but in that case should the selection be held off until closer to the RC?

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Why were US players Billy Horschel and Chris Kirk not in the US team, clearly players on form going by the money list, too late for the selection process I suspect but in that case should the selection be held off until closer to the RC?
I understand that the above players hit form too late to be considered for selection, as the US selection system stands. It stops after the US Open!

Pin-seeker

Visit site
It's easy to blame Tom Watson now,but maybe if players like Bubba hadbothered to turn up &
Produced rather than just milking the attention on the tee,they'd have had half a chance.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think TW did a decent enough job. Never going to please all the people.

His biggest mistake was probably dropping Phil for Saturday, although possibly picking Webb Simposon wasn't a great idea either, but Paul McGinley chose Stephen Gallacher and dropped a couple of players on Sunday that maybe shoulda played but got away with them.

TW''s biggest problem, though, was that the US players (with certain exceptions) just don't get it. They think they are playing for the country, the flag, the constitution, all that rubbish. The European team are playing for themselves, their teammates, captain and fans.

OldMate

Head Pro
Visit site
I went up to Gleneagles for the Sunday. The atmosphere was amazing and the home support was overwhelming. Due to the crowds, I parked myself in a few spots (the par 3 10th tee being the best) and stayed at them all day rather than trying to follow groups which I usually do at big events. Having the enter crowd condensed to 12 groups would have made following a group very difficult from what I could tell. A great day out and it was interesting to see the different frames of mind of the players coming through - most of the Europeans looked focussed by relaxed whereas a couple of the Americans looked extremely stressed later in the round (Keegan Bradley in particular). The highlight golf wise, was seeing Sergio's approach and eagle putt on 16 against Furyk. It's a great event and atmosphere, although I definitely preferred attending The Open where it is a lot easier to pick and choose what golf I see.

OldMate

Head Pro
Visit site
I went up to Gleneagles for the Sunday. The atmosphere was amazing and the home support was overwhelming. Due to the crowds, I parked myself in a few spots (the par 3 10th tee being the best) and stayed at them all day rather than trying to follow groups which I usually do at big events. Having the enter crowd condensed to 12 groups would have made following a group very difficult from what I could tell. A great day out and it was interesting to see the different frames of mind of the players coming through - most of the Europeans looked focussed by relaxed whereas a couple of the Americans looked extremely stressed later in the round (Keegan Bradley in particular). The highlight golf wise, was seeing Sergio's approach and eagle putt on 16 against Furyk. It's a great event and atmosphere, although I definitely preferred attending The Open where it is a lot easier to pick and choose what golf I see.

I should add that the other highlight for me was seeing the elation of the European team on the 18th green after Dubuisson's match finished up.

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I can't think why Sky replaced her (Di Dougherty) with Sarah Stirk, as the latter is not particularly attractive, has a boring voice and can only talk in journalistic cliches! :rolleyes:
What has attractiveness got to do with it? No wonder golf has a reputation for being sexist!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
What has attractiveness got to do with it? No wonder golf has a reputation for being sexist!

So what was DD doing fronting the Ryder Cup opening and closing ceremonies if it wasn't for her being a rather nice 'bit of skirt'. And for me that's the truth of it no matter how much the organisers put up her 'golfing capability' or 'golf tv presenter' history.

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yes there's definitely something in that but still, it's not right to say someone is a bad choice for a TV presenting job because she's "not particularly attractive".