The 2014 Ryder Cup!

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Rose is fast becoming my favourite player. Has great passion and desire with such a calm exterior and a lovely smooth swing.

How are the singles decided? Does each captain choose their own running order and it's just pot luck who they face?

C

c1973

I think the US have missed a trick by not front loading the singles.

Speith, Reed and Fowler have arguably been their best players and they're out front. They might be young and not experienced (in the RC) but those three will give anybody a good test. I'd have stuck Furyk in after them as well, instead of sticking him in the middle. Looks like Watson has put the form players out first, followed by the 'names'. That might be a clever tactic if the first 3 deliver.

Can't understand why Dubuisson has been kept out of the mix for us, although you could argue the anchor man role might be vital. I feel he's been playing well enough to get an early point on the board. I'd have pushed him up the board and put Bjorn closer to the back.

There's quite a few decent games on paper for tomorrow and I still think this could be a close one, but wouldn't mind being proven wrong.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
How are the singles decided? Does each captain choose their own running order and it's just pot luck who they face?
They do know, but back in the mid 70's when they played two singles in the day, Jack Nicklaus insisted he played against Brian Barnes again, beacause Barnes beat him in the moring. Barnes beat him again in the afternoon, and Nicklaus was none to happy. Supposedly the only time the draw was fixed.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Found myself cheering the Americans today. Wish the score line had been a bit closer. Europe should close it out easy enough. I'd rather see a close final day rather than Europe talking about record winning margins.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Found myself cheering the Americans today. Wish the score line had been a bit closer. Europe should close it out easy enough. I'd rather see a close final day rather than Europe talking about record winning margins.

Not quite same for me, was cheering hard in the final session, but once it was done did feel maybe would have preferred it to be closer going into final day, for the spectacle.

Will expect some early red on the board though just to have us feeling a doubt or two.

D

Deleted member 15344

I would love to see lots of blue on the board early and for us to smash them and put up a record score

Smash them proper

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
I expected this thread to be full of excitement with loads of fms discussing the golf. Instead it's been tumbleweed interspersed with arguments.
I'll watch the final day with friends at my club and give the forum a miss.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It's only a comment on a golf forum, you almost sound as if you're trying to stir it up.

Mine was only a comment on a Golf Forum. I just don't like to hear that type of comment regarding Americans, I have an American Son and Grandsons and as much as I still want Europe to win I don't agree with that type of comment.

I guess its the type of thing that is normal in sports like Football these days so understandable.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

Mine was only a comment on a Golf Forum. I just don't like to hear that type of comment regarding Americans, I have an American Son and Grandsons and as much as I still want Europe to win I don't agree with that type of comment.

You decided to bring "race" into it when its a sports contest where i want the team i support to smash the team they are playing

To even suggest or try and bring race into it says more about the level you are willing to drop to to stir things up - think thats quite disgraceful.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site

It's a Team, not a Race.. The Euros won't actually be "Smashing" America.. You do realize this don't you?

D

Deleted member 15344

Yes, I do. I just get a bit annoyed by some of the anti American posts here sometimes. Best to leave it at that.

My post wasnt "anti american"

The difference is quite clear - apart from it appears to you

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes, I do. I just get a bit annoyed by some of the anti American posts here sometimes. Best to leave it at that.

But it wasn't Anti-American.. It was Pro-European.. I want the Euros to Smash them tomorrow. Then I want them to all shake hands and agree that it was a great contest between 2 Sporting Superpowers.. It's Sport, not Life...:thup:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
But it wasn't Anti-American.. It was Pro-European.. I want the Euros to Smash them tomorrow. Then I want them to all shake hands and agree that it was a great contest between 2 Sporting Superpowers.. It's Sport, not Life...:thup:

OK, I see your point.