The 2014 Ryder Cup!

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm going to sound like an old Fart, but what are all those people doing on the green?
PLAYERS, caddies, maybe cameraman on green.
Others, wives non players physiotherapists... Stay off

Last edited:

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Lets hope its not a "miracle At Gleneagles"

Great play from the team today especially Rose & Dubuisson

Reckon Mr McGinley is a very happy man right now

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Great result for Europe today. Pressure is properly on the USA now.

What made it so special to be there?

1. It's the Ryder Cup, on home soil. Enough said?
2. The crowd is amazing, I saw no nasty partisanship, just everyone loving the competition and thoroughly enjoying the spirit of it all. I've been confused by the comments from people saying it's lacking noise/atmosphere. It's dripping in atmosphere around the place and there's plenty of cheering, but it's all in good spirit and no nasty heckling and very little idiotic exclamations. The crowd is also spread around a large area so it's not as concentrated as it could be at other venues. I think that's a good thing though and brings me onto...
3. Gleneagles as a venue is superb. There is a LOT of space around the course, so the crowds are naturally spread out and many of the holes have a natural auditorium surrounding them thanks to the hillocks, mounds and sculpture of the place.
4. The radio coverage, big screens, scoreboards, wifi, Apps etc. accessible within the venue all meant I had about 5 or 6 different ways of knowing what was happening at all times. I was able to hop between matches and holes and always knew where the games were at. I felt like I was part of it and knew what was happening at all times. You hear cheers in the distance and you know what's happened because you know who's playing what match and on what hole. You only get that by being there, walking around and being on, in and around the course.
5. And lastly, where else do you get to cheer alongside so many people from so many different countries under the universal language of golf? I don't feel that I'm a European above being British, but I found it a really great feeling to be amongst so many different nationalities all cheering together. Sport is the only thing that could do that and I think that in itself is a special feeling.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site

2. The crowd is amazing, I saw no nasty partisanship, just everyone loving the competition and thoroughly enjoying the spirit of it all. I've been confused by the comments from people saying it's lacking noise/atmosphere. It's dripping in atmosphere around the place and there's plenty of cheering, but it's all in good spirit and no nasty heckling and very little idiotic exclamations. The crowd is also spread around a large area so it's not as concentrated as it could be at other venues. I think that's a good thing though and brings me onto...
3. Gleneagles as a venue is superb. There is a LOT of space around the course, so the crowds are naturally spread out and many of the holes have a natural auditorium surrounding them thanks to the hillocks, mounds and sculpture of the place.
4. The radio coverage, big screens, scoreboards, wifi, Apps etc. accessible within the venue all meant I had about 5 or 6 different ways of knowing what was happening at all times. I was able to hop between matches and holes and always knew where the games were at. I felt like I was part of it and knew what was happening at all times. You hear cheers in the distance and you know what's happened because you know who's playing what match and on what hole. You only get that by being there, walking around and being on, in and around the course.
5. And lastly, where else do you get to cheer alongside so many people from so many different countries under the universal language of golf? I don't feel that I'm a European above being British, but I found it a really great feeling to be amongst so many different nationalities all cheering together. Sport is the only thing that could do that and I think that in itself is a special feeling.

Cheers for that, sounds a great experience!.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Aß one of the commentators said..it doesn't make tomorrow easy, just easier!
I would hope we can scramble 4 1\2 points from 12 matches.....

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site

Well said

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm going to sound like an old Fart, but what are all those people doing on the green?
PLAYERS, caddies, maybe cameraman on green.
Others, wives non players physiotherapists... Stay off

Following on from writing about why I think it was so special being there. It's fair to say that this was the ONLY negative for me, I found it excessive because it caused a few problems for both players and spectators rather than keeping things running smoothly. I also found the driving behaviour of a certain few of them in buggies to be unacceptable considering it's difficult to hear them speeding up behind you and there's not a lot of room to move out of the way quickly.

Shout out to the volunteers at the Ryder Cup by the way. The Marhsalls have been doing a great job. :thup:

D

Deleted member 15344

Been lucky to go to three now and nothing will ever beat K Club

Celtic Manor on the Monday was close but that friday in Ireland was immense - the wife was in floods of tears

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
Following on from writing about why I think it was so special being there. It's fair to say that this was the ONLY negative for me, I found it excessive because it caused a few problems for both players and spectators rather than keeping things running smoothly. I also found the driving behaviour of a certain few of them in buggies to be unacceptable considering it's difficult to hear them speeding up behind you and there's not a lot of room to move out of the way quickly.

Shout out to the volunteers at the Ryder Cup by the way. The Marhsalls have been doing a great job. :thup:

Monty (I think) was quite scathing about the sheer numbers of people inside the ropes - referred to as "hangers-on" - and pointed out that they get in the way of those who have actually paid to watch the golf, ie folk like you.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Right then, 10-6 just as it was for the US two years ago. No Gigantic at Gleneagles headline for the US team tomorrow please lads. I have some worries about the form of some of our players (Gallagher for one) and hope the US don't get off to a fast start

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Right then, 10-6 just as it was for the US two years ago. No Gigantic at Gleneagles headline for the US team tomorrow please lads. I have some worries about the form of some of our players (Gallagher for one) and hope the US don't get off to a fast start
Gallagher ?, Stephen Gallacher only played in one match and Poulter played a lot worse than he did, before that his form was excellent , miles better than others.

Gallacher should have been paired with the likes of Kaymer, Stenson or even Donaldson who is steady and would have kept him calmer [kaymer ] .
The last thing he needed was a hyper nutter like Poults as a partner .:whistle:

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Graeme McDowell vs. Jordan Spieth
Henrik Stenson vs. Patrick Reed
Rory McIlroy vs. Rickie Fowler
Justin Rose vs. Hunter Mahan
Stephen Gallacher vs. Phil Mickelson
Martin Kaymer vs. Bubba Watson
Thomas Bjorn vs. Matt Kuchar
Sergio Garcia vs. Jim Furyk
Ian Poulter vs. Webb Simpson
Jamie Donaldson vs. Keegan Bradley
Lee Westwood vs. Jimmy Walker
Victor Dubuisson vs. Zach Johnson

Some good matches there. This could be StevieG's make or break moment, Mickleson is in very mixed form and could make a great scalp for StevieG to own in redemption but equally, if he loses to Mickleson it would feel a crushing blow for his cup debut. Personally I think StevieG thoroughly deserved his place in the team and I hope he plays well to avoid the naysayers wrath.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Strong first four games. Poults couldn't have got a better draw. Set up for him to hole the putt to win the Ryder Cup. Fancy our chances of getting 4 1/2 points out of that draw.