The 150th Open

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Exciting last day & a great finish. I'm sure globally Smith is a very popular winner and best putter by a stretch over the 4 days, top job that man
I didn't think Young would be hanging around the top all through the weekend

I'm not unhappy Rory didn't win, but if he 'bottled' it, so did 154 other players (although I wonder if he kept his room booking overlooking the 18th last night, not sure I'd want to look out the window and see the 'Well Done' message to Cameron staring back at me all night :giggle:

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Maybe Rory felt to a degree, he just had to beat Hovland, and he was making decisions based on that?
I only listened on the radio so can't be sure if that's a fair assesment, but as they approached the turn, he would not have foreseen Smith going on such a strong run.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Would have loved to see a Brit’s name going on the trophy this year but not many players have played to Cam Smith’s levels over the last 6 months or so, deserved winner!

Rory tried “boring golf” on day 4 and lost because of it, such a shame! Thought it was his time again! And so the long wait continues

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Maybe Rory felt to a degree, he just had to beat Hovland, and he was making decisions based on that?
I only listened on the radio so can't be sure if that's a fair assesment, but as they approached the turn, he would not have foreseen Smith going on such a strong run.

On 18th tee he surely knew he needed an Eagle though?

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Looked amazing on TV. Got me more excited to plan my trip in few years

Enjoy a well earned rest
I was watching it thinking that property prices in St Andrews have probably jumped 5-10% in the last week. Good weather, good golf, and just very good vibes about the place. No one had anything but positive things to say about the place.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was watching it thinking that property prices in St Andrews have probably jumped 5-10% in the last week. Good weather, good golf, and just very good vibes about the place. No one had anything but positive things to say about the place.

With WFH being more of a thing now aswell imagine living there and doing your work there. Beautiful place

sunshine

Visit site
I totally agree. But the R&A along with TCCB, Formula 1,Rugby league and the Premier league chose the highest bidder and market forces spoke.
But rest assured most if not all of this money was being used "to grow the game at a grassroots level". And if you believe that, I've got a bridge to sell you!

This always comes up every major. The bbc isn’t interested in showing live golf or live test cricket. It’s not really about the money, it just doesn’t fit with their priorities / agenda. Sky do a much more professional job because they are committed to the sport.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I have genuinely considered it over the last few years but 2 things put me off - the weather is often a bit rubbish, and it isn't that close to a major airport. I'm used to having Gatwick on my doorstep, so an hour plus to Edinburgh Airport is a bit of a drawback for me.

Other than that, it is a fantastic place and I am envious of those who live there.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Visitors only see the romantic upsides. There are a lot of practical downsides to St Andrews. It's an ideal place to live if you have more money than sense and don't mind the university and its snotty, largely American, students getting in the way of your life nearly every day. The quality and price of housing within the town really isn't good compared to what you could get within a 5-10 mile radius. It's poorly connected for both travel and groceries and the idea of rolling up to play golf every day at 9am is pure fantasy.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Visitors only see the romantic upsides. There are a lot of practical downsides to St Andrews. It's an ideal place to live if you have more money than sense and don't mind the university and its snotty, largely American, students getting in the way of your life nearly every day. The quality and price of housing within the town really isn't good compared to what you could get within a 5-10 mile radius. It's poorly connected for both travel and groceries and the idea of rolling up to play golf every day at 9am is pure fantasy.
But apart from that, should I buy there :LOL:

Would it be a good place to argue the benefits of moorland golf over links golf?

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Would it be a good place to argue the benefits of moorland golf over links golf?

That's effectively The Dukes and they are constantly offering deals and looking for members. In my opinion a very underrated course that if you placed it anywhere else in the country would get a lot more play and praise.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Smith won it with a sensational round, great effort by Young. Tactically I would say, whilst McIlroy had a cushion at least, being patient and having pars weren't hurting him especially as Hovland stumbled. He just wasn't able to turn the aggression up - the winning shot was Smith's up and down on 17.

Smith is a fantastic winner, well deserved - but he's not the winner 'Golf' wanted, especially highlighted by his post round comment / answer.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Smith won it with a sensational round, great effort by Young. Tactically I would say, whilst McIlroy had a cushion at least, being patient and having pars weren't hurting him especially as Hovland stumbled. He just wasn't able to turn the aggression up - the winning shot was Smith's up and down on 17.

Smith is a fantastic winner, well deserved - but he's not the winner 'Golf' wanted, especially highlighted by his post round comment / answer.

Not so sure about 'golf' but certainly UK broadcasters (Sky and BBC, looking at you) who glossed over the fact that McIlroy finished 3rd. They banged on about him just missing out... Yes, on second. It's this sort of cheerleader nonsense that puts many people off McIlroy through absolutely no fault of his own when he is a world class golfer as seems likeable enough in personality (I can even forgive his almost GMAC like twang that's started...)

I haven't really seen what US broadcasters have made of it but many European snippets I have seen are fairly ambivalent about the whole thing TBH.

Jason.H

Visit site
Every time Mc Ginley drones on about how good Mc Ilroy is it seems to be the kiss of death. The best man won and was pushed all the way by Cameron Young who eagled the last.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Will it go down as the Cam - Mac shoot out I wonder?
Or could it have been the 2 Cams shoot out?

No good for the game when Smith might join the LIV.
They might as well scrap the Majors now.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
100%. Seemed to be playing very conservatively, just plodding along and not making bogeys. By the time he noticed the Smith charge it was too late to react.