That there London

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Overly hoppy but also tasteless? How do you perceive the presence of hops if not by taste? :D

Was just checking you're awake :D

Tasteless might be the wrong word...let me try and explain..

It's a bit like when you sometimes order a really hot curry and all you can taste is heat - there's literally none of the other flavours present because you can just "taste" heat.

Same goes for Brewdog...they don't seem to be able to brew beer that has a variety of flavours on the palette (or choose not to because they're lazy, I'm not sure), so just pack them all full of hops so they're just really bitter and tangy and pass it off as "refreshing".

They're not the only culprits, but they're one of the worst offenders.

And don't get me started on their ridiculous "share scheme"

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site

It's a bit like when you sometimes order a really hot curry and all you can taste is heat - there's literally none of the other flavours present because you can just "taste" heat.

Same goes for Brewdog...they don't seem to be able to brew beer that has a variety of flavours on the palette (or choose not to because they're lazy, I'm not sure), so just pack them all full of hops so they're just really bitter and tangy and pass it off as "refreshing".

I’ll play nice for a change, rather than do my usual FULL ON OFFENSIVE thing but I don’t think you’re right at all and I think you’re getting your flavours mixed up.

Brewdog’s pales are their worst style because they use hop bitterness but not hop aroma enough. They don’t dry hop heavily enough by far.

For me they’re entry level pales, made for people who are looking for an alternative to lager or pale cask ale.

They excel at big stouts though - and obviously hop flavour is absolutely minimal in stouts. Their barrel ageing is great and their use of adjuncts is balanced yet really imparts complementary flavours.

Their Overworks wild fermentation stuff is in its early days but some of those are fantastic. The recent kiwi effort was banging and their sour stout, Hocus Pocus, is great.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Coming down this weekend for a gig at Wembley, staying near Shoreditch and thought of having a few drinks in the afternoon before going to the gig. Never been to Shoreditch before so thought we'd check it out. Any recommendations for a few places to drink and grab a bite to eat mid afternoon-ish? Cheers

You're not that far from brick lane if you like india n food, can take your own in most as well.
P ride of spitalfield is a decent pub too if you just want a beer.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’ll play nice for a change, rather than do my usual FULL ON OFFENSIVE thing but I don’t think you’re right at all and I think you’re getting your flavours mixed up.

Brewdog’s pales are their worst style because they use hop bitterness but not hop aroma enough. They don’t dry hop heavily enough by far.

For me they’re entry level pales, made for people who are looking for an alternative to lager or pale cask ale.

They excel at big stouts though - and obviously hop flavour is absolutely minimal in stouts. Their barrel ageing is great and their use of adjuncts is balanced yet really imparts complementary flavours.

Their Overworks wild fermentation stuff is in its early days but some of those are fantastic. The recent kiwi effort was banging and their sour stout, Hocus Pocus, is great.

I've yet to try their stouts, so will take you on your recommendation and add them to the list. And what you've said (in bold), is what I was trying to get at.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate hops but when they're not used right, it ruins the beer and as I say, to me, it's just lazy brewing, but maybe it's completely purposeful, to target the market of those who are used to drinking lager but want something different (but not so different that it's "ale-y". Just something that doesn't sit right we me and have never really understood their hype, I suppose. Especially when there are (literally) hundreds of breweries who are doing similar things, but doing a better job.

We have a trendy Wild Beer Co. place in Cheltenham who bring in loads of guest crafts - some of them are an absolute abomination but others are wacky but blend their flavours perfectly to give an enjoyable tipple (can highly recommend it if you're ever in the area)

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
I've yet to try their stouts, so will take you on your recommendation and add them to the list. And what you've said (in bold), is what I was trying to get at.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate hops but when they're not used right, it ruins the beer and as I say, to me, it's just lazy brewing, but maybe it's completely purposeful, to target the market of those who are used to drinking lager but want something different (but not so different that it's "ale-y". Just something that doesn't sit right we me and have never really understood their hype, I suppose. Especially when there are (literally) hundreds of breweries who are doing similar things, but doing a better job.

We have a trendy Wild Beer Co. place in Cheltenham who bring in loads of guest crafts - some of them are an absolute abomination but others are wacky but blend their flavours perfectly to give an enjoyable tipple (can highly recommend it if you're ever in the area)

I love Wild Beer. Literally have their t-shirt. “Sour” beers are right up my street and they bring something different to the equation compared to most UK brewers.

Who do you think are the good Hop users then? Let’s see if our tastes overlap...

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I love Wild Beer. Literally have their t-shirt. “Sour” beers are right up my street and they bring something different to the equation compared to most UK brewers.

Who do you think are the good Hop users then? Let’s see if our tastes overlap...

Yes Wild Beer Co do some great beers.

The only thing I'm not liking at the moment is all the citrus/mango/milkshake flavours that Breweries are releasing now. Northern Monk, Black Sheep etc are in on it now too and there rank. Used to subscribe to the Beer52 every month but cancelled it because of all the ridiculous flavours.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site

Yea, the emergence of sour beers has been great. I didn't get on with them at first but really enjoy them now.

Christ, I'd have to have a think about some of my favourite "hoppy" beers - I've barely had a drink since Christmas due to my Triathlon training. I generally just point at the black boards in Wild Beer that have been drawn the best :ROFLMAO:;)

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Yes Wild Beer Co do some great beers.

The only thing I'm not liking at the moment is all the citrus/mango/milkshake flavours that Breweries are releasing now. Northern Monk, Black Sheep etc are in on it now too and there rank. Used to subscribe to the Beer52 every month but cancelled it because of all the ridiculous flavours.

Beer52 are awful. Fund terrible companies and send out late dated beer.

And it’s weird to see Northern Monk (excellent) and Black Sheep (low quality) in the same sentence.

Wolf

Visit site
I quite like the Nelson Brewery, in Chatham Dockyard:)
I just love everything about Chatham dockyard in general. Cool place to visit, good brewery and a good day out. Plus if you know where to find the drunken sailor pub, generally get student priced beer and food 😉

user2010

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Yea, the emergence of sour beers has been great. I didn't get on with them at first but really enjoy them now.

Christ, I'd have to have a think about some of my favourite "hoppy" beers - I've barely had a drink since Christmas due to my Triathlon training. I generally just point at the black boards in Wild Beer that have been drawn the best :ROFLMAO:;)

And it’s weird to see Northern Monk (excellent) and Black Sheep (low quality) in the same sentence.

Oi, can you two Real Ale Twats, piss off back to the pages of VIZ please.;):D:LOL:(y)

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

It was more a comment about milkshake flavoured ales!!

Love a pint of Black Sheep, especially the closer you get to Masham.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not any kind of expert but I do like Goose Island as a hoppy beer. When visiting my son in Chicago there are some micro breweries that make some Nitro beers that are quite hoppy.

Ill get me coat.