Texas Scramble Allowances

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Not criticising, just making corrections when earlier comments have been misquoted/misremembered or embellished with falsehoods.
Nah not really now is it? You're trying to contradict people who've seen multiple instances where the outcome repeats as predicted and expected, with your two internal events from fixed draws that are not representative of the issue.

So again, how many teams and what were the scores?

Last edited:

wjemather

Visit site
Nah not really now is it? You're trying to contradict people who've seen multiple instances where the outcome repeats as predicted and expected, with your two internal events from fixed draws that are not representative of the issue.

So again, how many teams and what were the scores?
Again with the falsehoods. I know I haven't said this, because we don't do that.

And not "trying to contradict", just highlighting that cherry-picked examples, from which only basic analysis of the top positions has been done, is not proof the new allowances are worse than the old ones; and if there is an issue, it's with scrambles themselves, which are inherently unpredictable and impossible to reliably handicap.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Is there an order of play for a team's chosen ball when on the green ? . Does the player who hit it nearest, have to putt 1st :unsure::D
Any such requirements are entirely the responsibility of the organizers to create, and to communicate to the participants!
My guidance to organizers would be to keep it very simple so as to increase the probability of every group following the requirements - playing by the same "rules".

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Any such requirements are entirely the responsibility of the organizers to create, and to communicate to the participants!
My guidance to organizers would be to keep it very simple so as to increase the probability of every group following the requirements - playing by the same "rules".

That's the way we've always played as there are situations whereby the player who put the ball where it is cannot always lift it or clean it etc, so it makes sense to continue the pattern of the chosen ball is played first, even where the player would have the right to lift their ball eg when putting

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is there an order of play for a team's chosen ball when on the green ? . Does the player who hit it nearest, have to putt 1st :unsure::D

As suggested, keep it simple and consistent and the simplest and most consistent is that the player whose ball is selected always plays first. (The selected ball for a putt is not always going to be the nearest to hole, by the way.)

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
That's the way we've always played as there are situations whereby the player who put the ball where it is cannot always lift it or clean it etc, so it makes sense to continue the pattern of the chosen ball is played first, even where the player would have the right to lift their ball eg when putting
As suggested, keep it simple and consistent and the simplest and most consistent is that the player whose ball is selected always plays first. (The selected ball for a putt is not always going to be the nearest to hole, by the way.)
Although the thread is titled Texas Scramble what about the order in a Florida Scramble? ;)

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
In our 3 man scrambles each player must have 5 drives , 1 must be at a par 3 [ we only have 3 par 3s ]
At the last par 3, only 1 ball should be played from the tee
This year we could mark the selected ball on the green then putt in any order leaving the best putter to last .
First time I've ever heard of it .

Last edited:

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
At ours, the player whose ball is chosen does not play it - except on the green when everyone putts (if needs be that is). Can play shots in any order - including putts.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Been a bit remiss in keeping up to date with this as like I've said we're not playing any this year (tho have decided to next week), but local club yesterday, Handicaps 8.5, 15.1, 19.8 & 25.1, net 21.5 under par (don't ask my why they've used the new percentages but then not rounded the PH)

All four prizewinners more than 18 under net.

Swango1980

Visit site
Been a bit remiss in keeping up to date with this as like I've said we're not playing any this year (tho have decided to next week), but local club yesterday, Handicaps 8.5, 15.1, 19.8 & 25.1, net 21.5 under par (don't ask my why they've used the new percentages but then not rounded the PH)

All four prizewinners more than 18 under net.
Scratch players, especially if 4 are going to play in the same team, are just going to have to improve their game. At minimum nothing worse than birdie, and make sure they can get 3-5 eagles as well.

Seems fair.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Scratch players, especially if 4 are going to play in the same team, are just going to have to improve their game. At minimum nothing worse than birdie, and make sure they can get 3-5 eagles as well.

Seems fair.
The scratch winners (good to see a scratch prize) were off +2.2, +2, +0.9 and 5.6, they shot 17 under and wouldn't have dented the handicap prizes.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We had our first one last weekend,. Very notable that the winners had a person HI 35.9 and one with 22.8.

On the other hand it was also noticeable that the runners up with the same nett score were 4 who are often very highly places in these events.

Swango1980

Visit site
Going on Captains Weekend this week. On the Friday, he has decided to play Texas Scramble, teams of 4. There is one lady in the event. The captain says that the Team Handicap Allowance is 11, as per Appendix C in WHS. However, he then further adjusts this by increasing it to 12 due to WHS Rule 6.2 (although this does not specifically state Scramble format, and it makes no sense to increase the team handicap by 1 because ONE player is playing off a different set of tees).

I'm assuming that, for Scramble, you simply work out the course handicap for each player based on whatever tees they are using, and then apply the allowance in Appendix C? In other words, there is no mixed tee adjustment to either the team, or the individual player it applies to before working out the team allowance?

wjemather

Visit site
Going on Captains Weekend this week. On the Friday, he has decided to play Texas Scramble, teams of 4. There is one lady in the event. The captain says that the Team Handicap Allowance is 11, as per Appendix C in WHS. However, he then further adjusts this by increasing it to 12 due to WHS Rule 6.2 (although this does not specifically state Scramble format, and it makes no sense to increase the team handicap by 1 because ONE player is playing off a different set of tees).

I'm assuming that, for Scramble, you simply work out the course handicap for each player based on whatever tees they are using, and then apply the allowance in Appendix C? In other words, there is no mixed tee adjustment to either the team, or the individual player it applies to before working out the team allowance?
In scrambles, mixed tee adjustments are still required.

For 4-person scrambles, the adjustment is equal to a quarter of the difference in Course Ratings and added for each person playing from the higher rated tees. Important: rounding of the team Playing Handicap is only done after summing all the individual unrounded allowances and adjustments.

May I suggest avoiding the arithmetic and using CONGU's mixed tee calculator.