Tendonitis

needmoreclub

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Any of you guys suffered with this? I've got it real bad in my right arm, pain from my elbow down my forearm, doc says rest is the only remedy but he's talking months. Even laying off the golf doesn't make much difference, anyone got any remedies or advice?:confused:

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Any of you guys suffered with this? I've got it real bad in my right arm, pain from my elbow down my forearm, doc says rest is the only remedy but he's talking months. Even laying off the golf doesn't make much difference, anyone got any remedies or advice?:confused:

Inside of elbow (golfers elbow) or outside of elbow (tennis elbow)? Either way I've had both and a very hard, almost unbearable sports massage from an osteopath finally got rid of it.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I'm quit cynical when it comes to the medical professional. Seems he's treating the symptom rather than the cause - and it might not be golf either.

Pain can also be considered as a way for your body to 'tell' you that you are doing something wrong. You need to find the fundamental cause and correct that. Meantime take the anti-inflams and rest as per doctor's 'solution'.

Worth considering the things that have 'changed' that may be affecting you. Have you changed your desk or keyboard set-up? Different side of the bed? Been doing DIY? It's amazing what sort of things can prompt that sort of thing. And, unfortunately, there's golf!

Good Luck

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm quit cynical when it comes to the medical professional. Seems he's treating the symptom rather than the cause - and it might not be golf either.

Pain can also be considered as a way for your body to 'tell' you that you are doing something wrong. You need to find the fundamental cause and correct that. Meantime take the anti-inflams and rest as per doctor's 'solution'.

Worth considering the things that have 'changed' that may be affecting you. Have you changed your desk or keyboard set-up? Different side of the bed? Been doing DIY? It's amazing what sort of things can prompt that sort of thing. And, unfortunately, there's golf!

Good Luck

No, he's treating the cause, which is overuse. Hence the remedy is less, or ideally no, use. Anti-inflammatories, which should be taken, support natural recovery during rest.

Osteopathy (if practiced by a purist) is not going to help, as it is based on spinal manipulation, which has got sod all to do with tendonitis. An old fashion physio treatment is fine, but that is also only treating the symptoms.

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ive suffered with Both elbows in the Past
It got to the stage where I was playing once per week
Then worsened to 1 game -- 10-14 days off -- then too painful playing

My Solution
I Bit The Bullet
Had my Irons reshafted with good quality graphites ( Grafalloy Blue ) at that time, and Ive NEVER looked back since
I can Play 3 times per week now, Pain Free ( from the Golf ) :thup:

I then changed my irons, as H/Cap went down to a smaller headed Iron, but bought GRAPHITES in the new irons too.

I wont ever Play Steel Shafts again, as I Know I will end up back where I was.......and I Don't want that

needmoreclub

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
FH, think i've identified the culprit, my workload has increased and i'm never off the keyboard at work now and this flared up about the same time, i've asked the 'Ergonomics' people to visit and make suggestions/improvements and i'm attempting to alter seating and hand position when i'm at the computer, suppose i'm just looking for a 'quick fix'.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ive suffered with Both elbows in the Past
It got to the stage where I was playing once per week
Then worsened to 1 game -- 10-14 days off -- then too painful playing

My Solution
I Bit The Bullet
Had my Irons reshafted with good quality graphites ( Grafalloy Blue ) at that time, and Ive NEVER looked back since
I can Play 3 times per week now, Pain Free ( from the Golf ) :thup:

I then changed my irons, as H/Cap went down to a smaller headed Iron, but bought GRAPHITES in the new irons too.

I wont ever Play Steel Shafts again, as I Know I will end up back where I was.......and I Don't want that

This is a common reason for Senior Tour players to use graphite - less impact, less exacerbation of the problem.

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Checkout mytpi or maybe golfmed.net I'm sure I came across something like 5 or 7 sins and mouse / keyboard use was on it. Carrying a weight / bag on 1 side only was another. For seating they one recomendation was to draw 1 foot back as it puts your pelvis and spine in a 'better' position.

I've posted this link before I think it shows you some exercises and stretches that a physio suggested to me (the exercises and stretches were recommended by the physio not the website I just googled for to find that).when I happened to mention I suffered from it.

http://www.uptodate.com/contents/patient-information-elbow-tendinopathy-tennis-and-golf-elbow

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
FH, think i've identified the culprit, my workload has increased and i'm never off the keyboard at work now and this flared up about the same time, i've asked the 'Ergonomics' people to visit and make suggestions/improvements and i'm attempting to alter seating and hand position when i'm at the computer, suppose i'm just looking for a 'quick fix'.

My wife suffered at the end of 2011 with the same Problem, caused by same, working at computer keyboard all day
She recieved Physio through work, for about 8 weeks, no real improvement
Then the Occupational Work physio, wrote to her GP, and because she had tried everything else 1st, with Physio, the GP then gave her the Injection in her elbow
2 weeks after, she has seen huge Improvement

needmoreclub

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Cheers SGC,
Checkout mytpi or maybe golfmed.net I'm sure I came across something like 5 or 7 sins and mouse / keyboard use was on it. Carrying a weight / bag on 1 side only was another. For seating they one recomendation was to draw 1 foot back as it puts your pelvis and spine in a 'better' position.

I've posted this link before I think it shows you some exercises and stretches that a physio suggested to me (the exercises and stretches were recommended by the physio not the website I just googled for to find that).when I happened to mention I suffered from it.

http://www.uptodate.com/contents/patient-information-elbow-tendinopathy-tennis-and-golf-elbow

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
This is a common reason for Senior Tour players to use graphite - less impact, less exacerbation of the problem.

I made the 'Change' about 5-6 years ago, and Haven't looked Back since, and I'm 43, by the way, not an OAP.....lol ;)
I had previously tried Pings with CUSHIN inserts, but even that Didn't Help.
Graphite just dampens/cushions the shock/vibration often felt when hitting a ball

I'd Highly Recommend the switch to anybody suffering these same symptoms :thup:

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I used to have graphite irons when I had severe tennis elbow. Last time I had it, it lasted three years.:( Didn't help that I carried on playing tennis though. No pain in my elbow for at least a year now, but managed to pick up a rotator cuff problem which has so far lasted six months. The joys of getting older, nothing ever seems to heal.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Mate ,
I know that its a little different but tendinitis was the issue.
The only advice i can give you is rest it, rest it and rest it some more....
3 yrs ago while still playing football i had this in my Achilles tendon.....

I ignored it and played away..Over a period of 8 months it was happening until one day there was a snap and that was that..I had a full rupture of the Achilles Tendon..It had me out of work for 4 1/2 months and i cant play ball anymore competitively(not for the want of trying) thats why i took up golf.

Just heed the warning signs and listen to the Doc.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I used to have graphite irons when I had severe tennis elbow. Last time I had it, it lasted three years.:( Didn't help that I carried on playing tennis though. No pain in my elbow for at least a year now, but managed to pick up a rotator cuff problem which has so far lasted six months. The joys of getting older, nothing ever seems to heal.

It might help if you stopped taking divots 8" deep.