Tending Flag

Dellboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hi,

Was playing yesterday morning when my friend who was just off the green, asked for the flag to be tended, he then thinned his chip.

Before it reached the hole / flag he shouted "leave it in", so I did, ball ended up off the green on the other side not hitting the flag or any part of the green :rolleyes:

But the third player in our group said " I should have not left the flag in as he asked for it to be tended so when the balls gets near I should have removed it "

Was I right to do as asked by the player or once the ball was on its way should I have removed it all together ??

Cheers

Del

DavidO

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm no expert, so I'll be watching for an answer on this, however, my tuppence worth is that you did nothing wrong.

You are only tending the flag, ready to remove it if the ball comes close??:confused:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Player 3 is talking out of a particular hole that doesn't necessarily have a flag in it that needs tending.

If the person attending the flag failed to remove it during the movement of the ball and the ball hit the flagstick then the player would incur a 2 shot penalty in stoke play and loss of the hole in match play.

It does make me wonder where people get these crazy ideas from?

Chris

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If player A is off the green I dont think he can request the flag to be tended. He either has it in or out. I expect I am wrong but thats where my sixpence would go

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If player A is off the green I dont think he can request the flag to be tended. He either has it in or out. I expect I am wrong but thats where my sixpence would go

You can have the flag attended wherever you are on the hole, not just on the green

For example:

[video=youtube;aqKweki8Sxc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqKweki8Sxc&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PLE51707D316E62B62[/video]

Oh, and Chris is correct.

SyR

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

As I understand, you can have the flag tended from the tee if you so wish. If the ball hits the flag after this request is made then a penalty is incurred.

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Cheers guys for the correction. Always amazes me that people will play a sport including me and not know the rules. But there again what chance have we got if the professionals even require rule officials to intervene at times. Once again many thanks guys.

coolhand

Head Pro
Visit site
More general question on this subject:

Why would you have the flag tended if you where off the green? You don't get penalised for hitting it and it improves your chances of chipping in as it stops a ball that's rolling too fast to drop.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Cheers guys for the correction. Always amazes me that people will play a sport including me and not know the rules. But there again what chance have we got if the professionals even require rule officials to intervene at times. Once again many thanks guys.

My point wasn't about you not knowing the rules as much as your pal, inventing a rule that sounds potty, doesn't exist, and being willing to penalise you for breaking it.

Last year in a quarter final 4BBB match an eejit we were playing against tried to say I was out of a hole because I had (inadvertantly) played out of turn and was quite stroppy when I asked when had he made that particular rule up?

Chris

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Chrisd i was not the OP and I never took it as you critizising me for not knowing the rules. It was me kicking my own backside for playing a game and not knowing the rules. I was just thanking you for putting me right.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Chrisd i was not the OP and I never took it as you critizising me for not knowing the rules. It was me kicking my own backside for playing a game and not knowing the rules. I was just thanking you for putting me right.

Sorry mate, Its an age thing and past lunchtime where I should be having my nap.

Let's be honest though, most of us dont know half of the rules, its the ones who make them up that get on my t*ts

Chris

A

Alex1975

Yep, surly this is correct, I mean tending I have no idea, but if the player is off the green he can have it in or out but only to be elected before the shot?!

TXL

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
More general question on this subject:

Why would you have the flag tended if you where off the green? You don't get penalised for hitting it and it improves your chances of chipping in as it stops a ball that's rolling too fast to drop.

I heard an interesting fact from last years tour where someone had recorded the number of shots taken from just off the green where the player had left the flag in and the number where the flag was removed. The pure numbers supported your comment.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
You can have the flag attended wherever you are on the hole, not just on the green

For example:

[video=youtube;aqKweki8Sxc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqKweki8Sxc&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PLE51707D316E62B62[/video]

now THAT is class!

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
Hi,

Was playing yesterday morning when my friend who was just off the green, asked for the flag to be tended, he then thinned his chip.

Before it reached the hole / flag he shouted "leave it in", so I did, ball ended up off the green on the other side not hitting the flag or any part of the green :rolleyes:

But the third player in our group said " I should have not left the flag in as he asked for it to be tended so when the balls gets near I should have removed it "

Was I right to do as asked by the player or once the ball was on its way should I have removed it all together ??

Cheers

Del

I would say your 3rd player was correct. As your mate had asked for it to be attended, he can't change his mind while the ball is moving.

A

Alex1975

Ah, watched the clip now, so once the person tending the flag sees the ball in the air he has to pull the flag, is that the deal?

So if you have asked someone to tend when you are off the green then they have really elected to have it out but want it in place to line the shot up?

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would have thought in OR out, one or the other , i didnt think you could change your mind after you hit it , but wouldnt be sure on this , if you notice Bones had the flag gone long before the ball thought of landing..

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Ah, watched the clip now, so once the person tending the flag sees the ball in the air he has to pull the flag, is that the deal?

Yes and no. The person tending does not need to remove the flag but if you hit the flag you will incur a penalty if he has left it in.

eg You are chipping and ask me to tend, you flub your chip and it's clearly not going to make it to the hole.... I light up a cigarette and laugh... and I never bother pulling the flag. Had you thinned it at me I'd have ripped the flag out and ran... just so you didn't hit the flag pole of course. Had you airmailled the green i'd have lit that same ciggy whilst watching it fly high above.