Temporary local Rule - Ball in Bunker

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
When a player's ball lies in a bunker, the player may take free relief ONCE by marking the ball’s original position and then placing the ball back in the bunker within 6 inches of its original position, not nearer the hole. The ball may be cleaned before being placed.

Discussion today as the guy I was playing with in a 3 ball said that I could only take free relief ONCE when the ball was in the bunker when I did NOT get it out the first time. I disagreed and think he was taking the wording literally.

On another point, whilst not marking my card today, is another player (none marker) allowed to suggest a penalty?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Being in a bunker makes no difference. The Preferred Lies rule applies and you may lift etc after each stroke.

Other players are not referees. He cannot award a penalty but he may advise you that he thinks that you may have incurred a penalty. If he and/or you are concerned, the matter must be reported to the committee at the end of the round

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
First point, you get to lift and place each time, same as winter rules.

Second point, what do you mean?
Thanks on point 1 which was my opinion.

If you are in a 3 ball and if your marker does not agree with something he does not need to sign your card I understand.

is the 3rd player( none marker) express an opinion and are you bound by their decision?

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Being in a bunker makes no difference. The Preferred Lies rule applies and you may lift etc after each stroke.

Other players are not referees. He cannot award a penalty but he may advise you that he thinks that you may have incurred a penalty. If he and/or you are concerned, the matter must be reported to the committee at the end of the round
Cheers RF

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thanks on point 1 which was my opinion.

If you are in a 3 ball and if your marker does not agree with something he does not need to sign your card I understand.

is the 3rd player( none marker) express an opinion and are you bound by their decision?
The player is always responsible. If they are asked "are you sure?" that will normally be sufficient for them to consider their action / decision / score again.

Similarly if a player asks a fellow competitor (not a referee) their opinion on a rule it is the player who is responsible if between them they get it wrong!

Refusing to sign a card is really the nuclear option.

MartynB

Assistant Pro
Visit site
On a similar note, courses where we play the bunkers have been declared GUR. Does the ball have to be played a club length from nearest point of relief, no nearer hole or outside and behind the bunker?

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
On a similar note, courses where we play the bunkers have been declared GUR. Does the ball have to be played a club length from nearest point of relief, no nearer hole or outside and behind the bunker?

Since the whole bunker is GUR, the NPCR is always going to be outside it at the nearest point not nearer the hole where there is no interference to ball, stance or intended swing from the sand.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
The nearest point of complete relief might be behind the bunker or beside it. There is no requirement, nor can there be (without a mandatory dropping zone) which can force the player to always drop behind the bunker.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

If you do not opt to play the ball as it lies the actions you must not take are, to take relief inside the bunker, or with one foot or two feet inside the bunker and neither must your club face strike any part of the bunker during the stroke.

I.e. if you are going to take relief it must be full relief.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Our LR say that in a bunker we can place within 6” not nearer hole. No caveat in respect of your lie in bunker so no debate over whether lie is poor due to no rakes. And the rule notes that you can do this for each shot you have to play to get out of the bunker as each situation is separate from the previous.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our LR say that in a bunker we can place within 6” not nearer hole. No caveat in respect of your lie in bunker so no debate over whether lie is poor due to no rakes. And the rule notes that you can do this for each shot you have to play to get out of the bunker as each situation is separate from the previous.
It simply the standard Preferred Lie rule extended to bunkers.