Tell the Story of Your Most Outrageously Lucky Golf Shot.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Plenty time on our hands so I shall start.

Playing in the Wiltshire Team Shield at Salisbury circa 1992 ish
Team had a drop out and I was asked last minute to make up the numbers.
I had not been playing much and the handicap had slipped up to 5 or 6.
Drawn with one of the County hot shots and a fellow county official.

Dodgy start but managed to keep the score respectable whilst not in control of anything.
At the hole on the old course that used to have the gallops to the right.
Tees hanging off the back and the blackthorn shrubs adjacent on the left were 'noticable'
So much so that I completely knurdled my tee shot into them, immediate 3 off the tee.
Reload was a massive push which was sailing to the far side of the gallops and into the dense thickets beyond. [it may have been OOB]
Ball hits a furlong post about six feet up and rebounds onto the gallops.
Find it lying OK and hit a mid iron fairly close and hole the putt for a 5.:love:

Finished both rounds in the upper 70's so just about held my head up, was even one of the counting scores.
PS .....I should have explained that parts of the course were adjacent to Salisbury Racecourse.

Last edited:

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
In decades of golf, the vast majority oif my "nuclear" holes, doubles or worse, begin with badly errant drives.

I was playing the fifteenth, a short par 4, at Crystal Lake in Haverhill, Massachusetts.
A goose swooped in front of the tee and I toe hit my driver sideways onto the seventeenth fairway. There were no OB stakes.
From the seventeenth fairway, I hit a towering five wood over a stand of tall willows and the ball came to rest seven feet from the flag.
That's by no means a gimme putt for me, but I made it and carded a birdie after my worst drive of the month.

Zig

Visit site
Aged 43, never had a hole in one after playing for 15 years.

Last summer, Linden Hall 15th hole... holed a nine iron. Week later, punchbowl par 3 at Goswick, holed a nine iron again.
Not even near since, but two lucky shots in a week made me smile for a while!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
First hole in one

Our 9 hole course starts with a high tee, river about one third distance to the green.

First time i had hit any ball in 3 months, 7 iron completetly topped, lands on the lower tee just short of the river, bounces over it and runs the remaining 80 yards all the way along the ground and down in to the hole.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
First hole in one

Our 9 hole course starts with a high tee, river about one third distance to the green.

First time i had hit any ball in 3 months, 7 iron completetly topped, lands on the lower tee just short of the river, bounces over it and runs the remaining 80 yards all the way along the ground and down in to the hole.
Same for me as a junior. 4th hole at Whittington Barracks (now Heath). Topped iron up the path, over the bunker and into the hole.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I took my BiL out for his first golf course experience on a par 3 course.
His first tee shot went more or less sideways heading straight towards the guys on the 2nd green.
Big yell from us and fortunately the ball snagged up in the rough trickled onto the green and popped into the hole.
First time on a golf course and he covers two holes in one shot.:love:

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Thinned my approach to the first on the international at the London club for it to hit the tree at the back of the green and rebound to about 18 inches for a tap in birdie

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Only luck I get on the course is bad.:( Did have a three footer lip in once.:unsure:

Playing with the forum at Turnberry on the Robert the Bruce course, I did top a wedge that was going to disappear behind the green. It hit a playing partners ball on the green, and slowed mine up nicely to about two feet. (y)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Too many to name all of them, ha. I remember one last year on a long par 4 at ours, my third shot was a 50-60 yard pitch, I'm using my gap wedge. Absolutely knifed it, 100mph about a foot off the ground - but it smacked straight into the pin and ended up about 6 feet to the left of it. Made the most of my luck and holed the 6-footer for par.

Another one I remember from early last year, I think it was at North Middlesex. No great story behind it, but I was hitting a mid-iron into a green, not only knifed it as per, but pulled it well left as well. But it hit the bank on the left of the green at speed, which popped it back to the right, it rolled around the back of the green and down towards the pin, ended up about 6 inches away for a tap-in birdie.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
So many I cant remember them all.
One of the best I've seen was at my first club.
All the way down the 1st was a field full of cows.
One of the best players stood on the tee and hit a long, long drawing hook that went through the fence smacked a cow on the arse and bounced back in bounds..
Not sure the cow was as amused as we were.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wee golf day with mates. Short par 3 was nearest the pin. My pal was closest (a few groups in front). Hit a pulled wedge, which I knew would end up well left of target after the bounce. Landed on the middle of the green, ricocheted off my mate’s tee which was marking his closest-to-pin shot and bounced towards the pin on the right. Won the comp.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
On the 14th once, a par 3, I hit a 9 iron a bit fat that went 45 yards, hit a stone and bounced 11 times before coming to rest 30 feet from the hole.
I thought to myself "how queer"
14, 3, 9, 45, 11 & 30
Put the numbers on a lottery ticket and won £5 million. (blew the lot on old clubs)

Siolag

Visit site
On our 10th, a par 3, hit a wild iron shot which went out of bounds, got a lucky bounce off a stone, bounced off a fence post back into play. Thought it had gone in a bunker, but it was in the rough. Chipped in and made the putt for a 3.

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was on the course, my girlfriend was there for the walk. I accidentally hit the ball and it flew up her bum.

Took her to the Hospital, doctor examined her and said "That's up a fairway"

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Pushed a drive off the fourth at Innerleithen. Flew an inch over the clubhouse (with its massive gaping window in front), into the car park and missed a car also by an inch that was just driving out of the car park.

Got a free drop which was a bonus.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
13th hole on the darley, hit a 3wood out of a semi-decent lie in the rough but pushed it a fair bit, there happened to be a couple of train carriages sitting on the track just over the fence near the green. It hits off the edge of one of them and bounces back in to about 8 feet ? then proceeded to roll it in. Naebother

matt71

Tour Rookie
Visit site
15th par 4 . Hit my drive into the pond now on my 3rd shot 200 yards plus to green and only went and holed it for a birdy! ??‍♂️
luckiest shot ever

ferenezejohn

Visit site
Playing at Palm Springs, against my brother in-law all square playing eighteenth I bunkered my second to the green about 30 yards, brother in-law comes up short and chips it stone dead.
I hole out from bunker for the first time playing golf.
As there was a bit of needle in the game I'm getting called all the lucky bees.
A Hamlet moment!

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Playing with 2 mates at Patshull Park one evening and pushed tee shot right on the par 5 14th into a bush , took an unplayable thinned a 3 iron that hit a sign which stopped it going in the deep ditch, pitched in from 100 yards for a four :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: