Tee or no Tee on a Par 3

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I do something a little unusual. If for eg im inbetween a 7 and 8 iron I will tee it up just short of a cm. That way the ball comes off the face a little higher and doesnt go as far. I was given this tip by a golf pro called graham far. It works great

S

Snelly

I always use a tee. Seems a bit daft not to really. Why not give yourself the advantage?

V

vkurup

When you play off the turf... (in an ideal swing) you are looking to compress the ball..

However if the ball is sitting in a slightly elevated position e.g. on a tee, you wont get to compress the ball, so it will be a bit of a sweeping action or as Hovis mentioned, ball comes off the face a little higher and does not go far.

Surely there is a difference between tee and no tee beyond just a perfect lie. (or am I thinking like a WRX guy?)..

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
When you play off the turf... (in an ideal swing) you are looking to compress the ball..

However if the ball is sitting in a slightly elevated position e.g. on a tee, you wont get to compress the ball, so it will be a bit of a sweeping action or as Hovis mentioned, ball comes off the face a little higher and does not go far.

Surely there is a difference between tee and no tee beyond just a perfect lie. (or am I thinking like a WRX guy?)..

My understanding is that you never actually compress the ball into the turf, so teeing up won't be a disadvantage

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
The difficulty is judging the backspin, if I hit of the deck sometimes it will hop and stop others spin 2yards other spin 15feet. Tee it up pretty much stops within a foot of landing point.

How do you judge the backspin accurately?

I used to play with a guy now and again who could spin the ball for fun.
Not once did I ever see him pitch it over the flag and spin it back stone dead.
Always landed it short and draw it back even shorter.
He has a driver swing speed of 117mph.
I think you've woken up a better golfer than you went to bed as.:D

LanDog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For longer irons I use a tee, but for anything 7 iron or under I don't tend to use a tee. Just find a nice bit of grass on the tee box.

Matty

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I tee up almost everything - I will take every advantage legally offered. The only time I don't is on a winter mat that allows a perfect lie to be created anyway and you can't get a tee into it without a hammer in your hand.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I the words of the great Jack Nicklaus "always tee up when possible".

Surprised that one took so long to come up, but he's right. Only time I didn't was at a previous club which had a winter mat on one tee that you struggled to get a tee into, otherwise I'd tee it up.

G

guest100718

Why when some like to bang on about the virtues of GI Irons and assisting off centre strikes are you prepared to let grass get between club and ball which can cause a flyer when there is no need?

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
What is the difference between using a tee or not using one on a P3.

Situation: Faced with a 145y P3, would you tee up on ur 6/7/8i (or whatever you hit 145y). Does the situation change if you have uphill or downhill P3s?
Hitting your shot cleanly rather than risking a fat shot! And No!

S

Snelly

Why when some like to bang on about the virtues of GI Irons and assisting off centre strikes are you prepared to let grass get between club and ball which can cause a flyer when there is no need?

You and others clearly know more than Jack Nicklaus.

Everyone should always use a tee. End of story.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site

You compress the ball against the club face (.... Not the ground)

If you are hitting down sufficiently you will compress the ball.

You can also compress the ball when it's tee'd up. For evidence look on YouTube at superslow driver impact positions.

Heres one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNNvrrF5ZDQ