Tee or no Tee on a Par 3

V

vkurup

What is the difference between using a tee or not using one on a P3.

Situation: Faced with a 145y P3, would you tee up on ur 6/7/8i (or whatever you hit 145y). Does the situation change if you have uphill or downhill P3s?

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just tee it up a fraction to get a perfect lie. This is a no brainer surely. Why would it matter if the hole was up/down hill???

G

guest100718

A question more at Home on wrx.. Why wouldn't you tee it up?

V

vkurup

Had never considered the tee as a provider of the 'perfect lie', so this is interesting. I have mostly used tees, but in the past few knockabouts with mates have just dropped the ball and hit it.

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I would use a tee but saying that on a 145 yard par 3 I'm not sure I would need one for my 58 degree wedge with a half swing :whistle:

Jimbooo

Challenge Tour Pro
www.gosimply.com
Have there actually been any scientific studies showing that it's beneficial to tee up on a short par 3, or do all of the pros on tour do it? Personally I find I usually get better contact and more backspin for stopping the ball on the green if I don't use a tee with my short irons.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
as alreday shown, its personal preference as long as you are happy with the way the ball is lieing you tee up and lob on the grass to achieve the lie you wish.

i have seen a few signs at some clubs asking for a tee to be used with this in mind if you push in virtually right in whats the differenc really?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
My review pretty much mirrors other posts.

Why would you, potentially, make the game more difficult by not giving yourself a perfect lie?

FWIW, I went through a phase of just dropping a ball on the tee box and hitting it. Not really much difference if I'm honest.

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have there actually been any scientific studies showing that it's beneficial to tee up on a short par 3, or do all of the pros on tour do it? Personally I find I usually get better contact and more backspin for stopping the ball on the green if I don't use a tee with my short irons.
Do you really need a scientific study to know this?

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
No I don't need one, I was just curious. As I stated, for me I hit better shots without one.

The difficulty is judging the backspin, if I hit of the deck sometimes it will hop and stop others spin 2yards other spin 15feet. Tee it up pretty much stops within a foot of landing point.

How do you judge the backspin accurately?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
The difficulty is judging the backspin, if I hit of the deck sometimes it will hop and stop others spin 2yards other spin 15feet. Tee it up pretty much stops within a foot of landing point.

How do you judge the backspin accurately?

What!! Playing off 15!

So you can't putt then? :whistle:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
If the perfect lie for a tee shot is your ball sitting on a perfect 'carpet' of turf - then surely pressing a tee down so that the top is level with what would be your perfect lie is sensible. You are creating your perfect lie for teeing up.

I'm guessing that most issues we find when teeing on par threes is that we tee them up a bit - and a bit too much - because doing so makes it feels like that's better for us as we get the ball and club 'up' and 'clear' of any rubbish lie in the immediate vicinity - when in fact doing so actually is for the worst. That said - I can imagine that the very good striker of the ball would feel a difference in the strike when using a tee.

D4RK1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I generally don't use a tee at this time of the year as we are playing off mats. In the summer I'll play off a tee that's just shy of being flush with the grass.