Tee alignment

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
My opinion (I know you didn’t ask) is that an anchor is just a weight object and does not need to be “stuck” in the ground, it could be just resting on the ground.

Not if it's going to keep a ship from drifting. :) An anchor has to dig into the seabed or catch on a rock to be effective. If not it drags which is why I wondered in passing how we are to understand anchor in the rule.

Last edited:

salfordlad

Visit site
An anchor is something that would be stuck in the ground whereas Alan's lead fishing weight would be loose. Do you think that would exclude the weight from the exception?
Like Rulie, I don't think so either. My reasoning - I'm happy to report that "anchor" in the context of 10.1b does not require you to stab yourself.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I receive the information below from the then Director of Rules at the R&A in 2015

Are Two or More Tees Connected by a Length of Cord or String Conforming ?

This is a fairly common question and, if considered in the light of the following, then you might reasonably assume that such a configuration would be considered non-conforming – as the string could effectively be used to aid alignment.

As a general principle, if there is any feature on the tee which can be viewed by the player at address and used as an effective alignment aid, then such a tee is likely to be non-conforming.

However, this is one of the Rules with an Exception.

In many countries, but particularly in the UK, the use of two or more tees tied together with string has been fairly common for many years – especially in the winter when the ground can be hard due to frost, or when winter mats are in use.

Therefore, within The R&A’s area of jurisdiction (i.e. everywhere except the USA and Mexico) the use of a conforming tee which is connected to one or more other conforming tees by a length of cord or string is permissible – provided the cord or string and other tees are not used to aid the player in his alignment. Such a practice would render the player in breach of Rule 8-2a (Indicating Line of Play).

Tee Connected to a Weight or Other Anchor (e.g. a pitch mark repair tool)

A tee connected to a pitch mark repair tool or other weight or anchor by a length of cord or string would be regarded as non-conforming as it could be used to aid alignment. The distinction between this configuration and the above example of two or more connected tees is purely on ‘traditional’ grounds.

Subsequently I received the following from the then Director, Equipment Rules and Conformance at the USGA in January 2018

I'm glad you asked me to ask - just got the answer:
The USGA recently adopted the interpretation of the R&A (in an effort to eliminate differences to ensure a common set of Rules and interpretations).

However, just found (in the back of an old Decisions book) a scribbled note to myself which names a member of my club who had always used a large steel washer to stop his tee disappearing in frosty conditions. In the light of the above I had told him it was illegal but he would always ignore me.
The note says 'M S's washer now ok'.

Last edited:

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Whi
I receive the information below from the then Director of Rules at the R&A in 2015

Are Two or More Tees Connected by a Length of Cord or String Conforming ?

This is a fairly common question and, if considered in the light of the following, then you might reasonably assume that such a configuration would be considered non-conforming – as the string could effectively be used to aid alignment.

As a general principle, if there is any feature on the tee which can be viewed by the player at address and used as an effective alignment aid, then such a tee is likely to be non-conforming.

However, this is one of the Rules with an Exception.

In many countries, but particularly in the UK, the use of two or more tees tied together with string has been fairly common for many years – especially in the winter when the ground can be hard due to frost, or when winter mats are in use.

Therefore, within The R&A’s area of jurisdiction (i.e. everywhere except the USA and Mexico) the use of a conforming tee which is connected to one or more other conforming tees by a length of cord or string is permissible – provided the cord or string and other tees are not used to aid the player in his alignment. Such a practice would render the player in breach of Rule 8-2a (Indicating Line of Play).

Tee Connected to a Weight or Other Anchor (e.g. a pitch mark repair tool)

A tee connected to a pitch mark repair tool or other weight or anchor by a length of cord or string would be regarded as non-conforming as it could be used to aid alignment. The distinction between this configuration and the above example of two or more connected tees is purely on ‘traditional’ grounds.

Subsequently I received the following from the then Director, Equipment Rules and Conformance at the USGA in January 2018

I'm glad you asked me to ask - just got the answer:
The USGA recently adopted the interpretation of the R&A (in an effort to eliminate differences to ensure a common set of Rules and interpretations).

However, just found (in the back of an old Decisions book) a scribbled note to myself which names a member of my club who had always used a large steel washer to stop his tee disappearing in frosty conditions. In the light of the above I had told him it was illegal but he would always ignore me.
The note says 'M S's washer now ok'.

Which joins up all the dots. Thanks to all.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I’m pretty sure there’s a rule somewhere that says the only alignment aid can be on the ball and only be used in the green. Not sure what TY is but if he’s using it as an alignment, you could be right that he’s breaching the rules.

Confirming tees are mainly height but I think there are some banned ones too that are readily available and claim they are confirming when not.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Without starting a new thread I’m wondering about:

Fairway mats

I generally align mine with the direction of shot (as do others I play with).

Is this within the rules?
As the RBs have seemingly never commented re alignment, it would seem that they have accepted it. Traditional usage? ;)
The oblong mats could possibly be realigned to point 'off-line' but the 'rocket launcher' type couldn't. Though they have been approved.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
played again yesterday and another guy had done exactly the same as another PP I played with last week. A ty wrap around his tee. “ makes it easier to find “. Really a pink tee on green grass. Again I noticed that the Ty wrap always pointed in the direction the club head should be hitting through.

Why would you need to make it easier to find? I've got hundreds, literally, at home that I've found. He can have a bunch of them if he likes

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
So just an update, I went around to my brothers at the weekend. He has joined our fuddle. Anyway he played with one of the lads who uses a tie wrap on his tee. After a few holes one of the other lads questioned the player with the 5ie wrap around his tee. He told him point blank it was not allowed. Bro said there was a frosty atmosphere for the next few holes. He never got round to telling me whether the player continued with the tie wrap on his tee.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
So just an update, I went around to my brothers at the weekend. He has joined our fuddle. Anyway he played with one of the lads who uses a tie wrap on his tee. After a few holes one of the other lads questioned the player with the 5ie wrap around his tee. He told him point blank it was not allowed. Bro said there was a frosty atmosphere for the next few holes. He never got round to telling me whether the player continued with the tie wrap on his tee.
Was it indicating the line of play?