Taylormade jetspeed woods

evahakool

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
So my new taylormade jetspeed 3 and 5 woods in senior shafts came last week and I have tried them out on the course.

First mistake was ordering them before trying , lesson learnt.

The shafts look a bit to long for my liking and I felt the head sits a bit closed at address , probably hit 20 shots with each club and the distance were poor, also they felt a bit to whippy

So will probably get a fitting for woods to see what suits best and try and trade them in.

I would be interested if anyone else plays these clubs to tell me how they get on with them.

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have the Jetspeed hybrid. I find not trying to swing it too fast helps, wen I get the tempo nice and smooth it goes like a dream

+1 to this.

I've the 3 wood (new in bag) and 19 hybrid. Fallen out with the hybrid because I'm not a very smooth swinger but the 3 wood is a beast when hit well so worth percivering with

shortstuff

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Could never understand why TM came out with the JetSpeed range when they had the better SLDR on the market for only a few months.

needmoreclub

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Currently have the driver and three wood, definately a longer shaft but very good clubs otherwise they wouldn't be in the bag. If you feel they are 'whippy' i would suggest you've got the wrong shaft, and as you said go get fitted.

evahakool

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
+1 to this.

I've the 3 wood (new in bag) and 19 hybrid. Fallen out with the hybrid because I'm not a very smooth swinger but the 3 wood is a beast when hit well so worth percivering with

Interesting, do you find the 3 wood a bit closed at address? Where do you play the ball at address ?I found I had to have the ball back and my hands in front of the ball.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Could never understand why TM came out with the JetSpeed range when they had the better SLDR on the market for only a few months.

TM have a policy of running 2 lines at the same time, one fixed one adjustable the sdlr/jetspeed is no different to the R15/aeroburner franchises at present.

I tried the jetspeed and sdlr before buying sdlr didn't like sound or feel of the jetspeed.

evahakool

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Currently have the driver and three wood, definately a longer shaft but very good clubs otherwise they wouldn't be in the bag. If you feel they are 'whippy' i would suggest you've got the wrong shaft, and as you said go get fitted.

I got senior shafts in my irons and I'm very pleased with them hence the reason for getting senior shafts in the woods.

It was a mistake buying before trying, as I don't like longer shafts in clubs I wouldn't have brought them if I saw them first hand.

When I go for a fitting will the pro take into account the length of the shaft do you think? If you don't mention anything about the length of the shaft would the pro just find the best club/shaft for you?

shortstuff

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I got senior shafts in my irons and I'm very pleased with them hence the reason for getting senior shafts in the woods.

It was a mistake buying before trying, as I don't like longer shafts in clubs I wouldn't have brought them if I saw them first hand.

When I go for a fitting will the pro take into account the length of the shaft do you think? If you don't mention anything about the length of the shaft would the pro just find the best club/shaft for you?

After fitting you might be able to get them in a shorter shaft. I know the option is available for drivers but not sure about woods. I've had TM stuff for a few years now, and one thing I have noticed is that their driver/woods shafts are not quite a like-for-like with other brands. For example, I use Stiff shafts but I know they are not as stiff as other brands. So the Senior shafts, especially if longer, are probably extra whippy.

needmoreclub

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
One manufacturers shaft can be totally different to anothers even though they are both reg, senior etc. Certainly a lesson learned for you, try before you buy, we've all done it in the past, that's why i've got a locker full of clubs i can't use. Regarding your fitting, the fitter should fit you for what's best for you regardless of make or loft or length of shaft. Just remember that certain places have 'fitters' and certain places have 'sales people' so do your homework before you book a fitting to make sure you get the best chance of getting the right club first time. Keep us posted how you get on.

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think all manufacturers put long shafts in these days, 43.5" is pretty long for a club to be hit off the deck, one of the reasons I'm considering a lower lofted hybrid.
I will say the SLDR S line has a shorter shaft if thats any good to you. I've got the 4 hybrid and its very easy to use and defo shorter than the SLDR range

evahakool

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
One manufacturers shaft can be totally different to anothers even though they are both reg, senior etc. Certainly a lesson learned for you, try before you buy, we've all done it in the past, that's why i've got a locker full of clubs i can't use. Regarding your fitting, the fitter should fit you for what's best for you regardless of make or loft or length of shaft. Just remember that certain places have 'fitters' and certain places have 'sales people' so do your homework before you book a fitting to make sure you get the best chance of getting the right club first time. Keep us posted how you get on.

I'm in Edingburgh next week so will try and get a fitting there, tried Scott Gourly in the past who was good but it was inside and I would rather try outside.
Any recommendations from anyone would be good .

mchacker

Head Pro
Visit site
5W in my sig is a monster, but it's a more controllable monster since I cut an inch off the butt of the shaft, was gripping down before that anyway

needmoreclub

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'm in Edingburgh next week so will try and get a fitting there, tried Scott Gourly in the past who was good but it was inside and I would rather try outside.
Any recommendations from anyone would be good .

Not sure where your based, but i've heard Mr Gourley has also got a place at Elmwood GC in fife, but don't quote me on that one.

evahakool

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thought I would give a update on how I got on with my jetspeed 3 and 5 woods, after giving them a good trial I just couldn't stop hitting the ball left ,about 2/10 success rate, I found the shafts to long with a slightly closed club face and as a consequence I had to hold my hands well in front of the ball to square the club face.

I went to a pro and showed him the length of my driver which I had cut down last year, the length of the jetspeed 3 wood was only 1/2 inch shorter than my driver so I decided to get him to take off 1 and half inches of the 3 and 5 woods.

The difference I found with the shorter shafts was remarkable not only could I hit them straight but they were also long with a success rate of 8/10
The long par 4s I was able to take the 3 wood of the tee and reach greens with a 3 wood of the fairway.

I also hit one 3 wood 230 into a par 5

It felt more comfortable with the shorter shafts as I didn't have to hold my hands so far infront of the ball at address .

So I'm very pleased with the changes as this will hopefully help to reduce my h/c.