TaylorMade GAPR

Fabia999

Visit site
Hey,
Has anybody got one a TaylorMade GAPR?
Which one have you got and what are your thoughts on it?
I have been looking at the ‘mid’ and ‘Hi’ version, but I have a slower swing. Is it suitable for a higher handicap?
Thanks

D

Deleted member 1147

All I know is that they weren’t very popular and are to be discontinued.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Early this year I wanted one as a kind of driving iron (doubt I could hit a proper driving iron with my ball striking). I went to American Golf to try them out. I couldn't hit the 'mid' version, but the 'hi' version was going like I wanted - it was the 19° one set lower to 18 I think, and I was hitting with a nice gentle draw which is what I was after. I picked one up second hand off Ebay for about £85, but out on the course I couldn't get on with it in the end. I didn't find it all that forgiving really. A good strike, yes I got that 200+ yard gentle draw, but the good strikes were not as regular as they are with my Ping hybrids for example - and this was just off the tee. In the end I sold it on (for £115!) just after lockdown and bought an F9 5 Wood instead, which I love so far.

I was actually tempted to get one to fill a different slot in my bag, the 6 iron replacement, but I've ended up buying a Benross club with a similar looking head in the end.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I have two. It's taken me a while to get comfortable with them as they haven't been the easiest hybrids I've ever owned, that would probably be the Mizuno JPX 850. They meet my needs in terms of length but where I really appreciate them is how, unlike most hybrids, they don't have a tendency to hook.
I have a feeling that it is the KBS shaft which makes them so hard to get comfy with. It's hard to describe but they feel quite stout when you pick them up, they don't "waggle" but when you swing they don't feel bad at all, stable is probably the best description.
Either way just based on the fact they don't hook they will be in the bag for a while.

Dannyc

Visit site
I’ve got the mid 18 degrees it’s a lot easier to hit than any other 2 iron I’ve had I’ve been trying find a forgiving driving iron for a while and this one so far is the best

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have two. It's taken me a while to get comfortable with them as they haven't been the easiest hybrids I've ever owned, that would probably be the Mizuno JPX 850. They meet my needs in terms of length but where I really appreciate them is how, unlike most hybrids, they don't have a tendency to hook.
I have a feeling that it is the KBS shaft which makes them so hard to get comfy with. It's hard to describe but they feel quite stout when you pick them up, they don't "waggle" but when you swing they don't feel bad at all, stable is probably the best description.
Either way just based on the fact they don't hook they will be in the bag for a while.
Having owned one I know exactly what you mean. It is hard to put into words. To be honest I duffed quite badly a couple of times, which I rarely do with other clubs, and I put it down to just not being able to get used to the feel of the club - probably the shaft as you say.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
My son has just bought a mid version from Ethan of here. He is hitting it beautifully but he is 20, flexible and has a decent swing speed. I have tried it a few times, I struggle to break the motorway limit and am a high h/c so I am more comparable. I have found it very balanced, comfortable to use, not at all intimidating. I have not yet nailed one but each shot has still gone a reasonable distance, all in the air and dead straight. I am surprised at how forgiving it is.

I don't hit it as far as my hybrids but it is undoubtedly straighter than them for whatever reason. I am not going to get one but I can see its merits and when my son goes back to university I may well pop it in my bag for a proper try out.

If you are looking for a club off the tee where accuracy is paramount and hybrids are not for you I would say give it a go. Worst case scenario, buy one, sell it 2 weeks later. The prices seem quite stable so you should cover yourself or close to it.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hey,
Has anybody got one a TaylorMade GAPR?
Which one have you got and what are your thoughts on it?
I have been looking at the ‘mid’ and ‘Hi’ version, but I have a slower swing. Is it suitable for a higher handicap?
Thanks

They are a good club, but for a narrow audience, in my opinion. They have good components, like the KBS shaft, and suit a good player who can exploit the shaft. I recently sold a Mid and a Hi here. I had played them a bit and when I caught them, went great, but I didn't catch them quite often enough. i don't think they really suit the higher handicap.