TaylorMade day at Woburn

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
I am thrilled to have been asked by Golf Monthly to go to Woburn tomorrow, along with 7 (I think) others for a day with TaylorMade.

It's billed as a product experience day, where we get to trial TaylorMade 2019 metalwood range and work with an expert custom fitter to understand what metalwood line up and specifications could maximise our performance. There's some coaching lined up too.

I've only been playing a few years, and only get out once or twice a month at most so am a high handicapper. I started my golf adventure with a good series of lessons, so that I could get out on the course, enjoy it, play at a reasonable pace, and not get in the way of others. Enjoyment of the game has been my big reason for playing, and I really do love it. I'd love to get better, I usually score at about 100, but know that I don't play or practice enough at this time in my life to get hugely better. The day for a membership somewhere and playing once or twice a week is a few years away yet!

I've never been fitted for clubs, so am really interested to see whether, even at my lowly standard, fitting produces tangible benefits. I suspect that coaching and practice would be the things that give me the bigger gains, but curious whether fitting for the latest clubs (I play G20's) is worth it. In the afternoon we get let loose on one of the Woburn courses!

If I'm honest, I'm a bit nervous and intimidated about the day, but also very much looking forward to it. I'm pleased I was honest with GM's Mike Harris about my ability when I emailed my entry for selection! Having said that, whenever I have played with good players, had coaching, they have, at least to my face, been completely generous and accommodating of my (lack of) standard.

I'll report back afterwards, but I'm interested before I go, whether others think I will benefit from the day. What should I ask about? What should I look out for? How do I make the most of this fabulous opportunity?

Last edited:

Wolf

Visit site
I'll also be there guys, no idea what to expect but the itinerary looks good.

I'm that bit extra nervous now after my incident on Friday that led to an unexpected surgical repair, but I'll be there ready to roll and enjoy the day fully dosed up.

Last edited:

Wolf

Visit site
good luck guys don't forget to try the GAPR clubs, you know you want too:ROFLMAO::LOL:
Might as well as long as I can do it wearing an inconvenient sandwich board to make hitting the ball as hard as viewing the forum when that ads on...

Can I ask naively why that's funny? I have a couple of hybrids in my bag at the moment between 5i and 3w, but don't get the most out of them?
Because of the GAPR ad that takes over the forum making it impossible to navigate

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
Might as well as long as I can do it wearing an inconvenient sandwich board to make hitting the ball as hard as viewing the forum when that ads on...

Because of the GAPR ad that takes over the forum making it impossible to navigate

Ah ok - never seen the ad. Yes I have an ad blocker! :sneaky:

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Try to relax and enjoy the experience. The fitters/coaches are there to help you and trust me they've seen it all before so will do their best to help you relax and get the most out of the fitting.

Enjoy the course - they are all stunning. Accept that they are tough courses (always beat me up) so don't get hung up on the score. Try to stay out of the trees!

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
Try to relax and enjoy the experience. The fitters/coaches are there to help you and trust me they've seen it all before so will do their best to help you relax and get the most out of the fitting.

Enjoy the course - they are all stunning. Accept that they are tough courses (always beat me up) so don't get hung up on the score. Try to stay out of the trees!

Thanks Amanda. That sounds like good advice. A friend who has played there a bit has said the secret to a decent round is to avoid having to play too many sideways chips back to fairways!

D

Deleted member 21258

Hope you all enjoy the day, sounded like it should be a cracker.

Be interested to hear the write up and what they changed during the fitting process?

shane3003

Visit site
I’m also one of the others, pretty pumped and can’t wait! Although slightly nervous same as you guys, I do a lot of playing on my own.

It will be interesting as I had a Ping fitting at Gainsborough last week and currently looking to upgrade my Driver and Woods. I’m excited to see how I fair with TaylorMade before I place my order.

See you’ll tomorrow!

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hope that you've had a super day. Looking forward to hearing how you all got on. I'm sure that you've had a great time.

Wolf

Visit site
So just back from a lengthy but exceptional day put on by GM, TM and Woburn. This could get a bit long but there's a lot to get through....

We arrived to a welcome of Bacon Butties, Coffee and a run down of the day in which we were to be split into 2 groups. One for Short game with Andy Proudman, Seb Owen & TM short game gurus and the other for Long game lessons and fitting with Piers Ward & the TM european tour fitting staff. As we set off to our respective sessions we were equipped with a goody bag containing 2 x TM hats, a TM towel (which someone my height could use as a beach towel!) some 4x Project A balls, 2 x TP5 balls and a copy of the new GM.

My group of 4 which had Nick, Eamon (sorry guys didn't get your forum names) and Lazkir in all set off for the long game area on the Marquiss course. When we got there everything was set up for us.

I got to go on fitting first( which due to my recent surgery on Friday was worried about but couldn't have felt better) Sam the Tour fitter set me up on Trackman and got me warmed up then had me hit my own driver (Cobra F6 10.5° R shaft) which we found my spin rate on was ridiculous it was in the high 3700 range, my launch angle was quite low so even good shots were just not going that far and my ball speed averaged at 139mph. He put me into an M5 with a stiff shaft (not sure what shaft it was) had me hit 4 balls and they were all horrendous... I literally couldn't feel the clubhead, so he kept the clubhead changed shaft to a Tensi Orange Stiff and instantly things improved we had a few tweaks and things were just getting better by the end of the session (about 45mins) my ball speed peaked at 154 but averaged at 153, my launch angle was 11.5° and spin was down to 2507, was getting so much more hang time, distance and rollout. Driver was set to 11°, with the weight set one slightly toward back of club and the other toward to toe to allow it to sit a little open at address (which Sam told me is better for good ball strikers) I didn't ask why I was still shocked by the numbers... But not only that my dispersion was so much tighter as well thanks to reduced spin.

From there I moved on to my session with Piers for a lesson, again put me on trackman filmed a few swings and then came crunch time telling me how bad my swing was😳 to my surprise he complimented my swing and said there isn't anything that needs to change, but if he were being picky to take me to the next level work on my left hip flexibility to help control impact more and create more neutral path, gave me a drill to work on which can only be described as to do a Tommy Fleetwood move through ball with a cut off action. We did a few of these and the idea is as a result if I'm not playing great I've an got option to take 1 side of the course out completely which felt really good. ..

From there our group was ferried over by buggy to the Tavistock short game area. Which all I can say is Wow what a facility. We had a chipping challenge set up by Seb, I had a play with the new High toe Wedges and loved the feel so much so that I've found the answer to my long term hate of my Vokeys, I'll be ordering a 50, 54 and 58° HiToe in the bronze finish, they felt sensational. From there over to the new putter fitting with the putter Guru who said my stroke definitely favours a toe hang putter, he compared their offerings to my current Scotty and gave me the most honest answer of the day! He told me DO NOT ever change from the putter you already use its the best for you and that there putters cannot improve on what I have. Which felt good as my Putter is my most reliable club in my bag. From there I had a play in the bunkers and short game area with Mike H we were trying to hit the 64° HiToe as hard as we could out of the bunkers and it just performed so well but we both agreed there's no real use for it in our set ups..

I didn't get to have my short game session with Andy Proudman due to we got tight for time, so back in the buggy with Mike H to the range where we had a clinic with Ewen Ferguson (former walker cupper and current challenge tour pro) his ball striking was a sight to behold and the way he knew his numbers at one point being asked to squeeze out extra distance, he knew he needed exactly 2mph more clubhead speed to get the carry he needed, hit the shot and then was told by his fitter that get got the exact 2mph he wanted and hit the exact number he said he would.. Really nice lad as well talked to us about his routines and bits and Bob's. From there we were ferried back to clubhouse for lunch.

We were then split into 3 balls for a tour scramble in the Duchess course myself, Eamon and Andy Proudman. Enroute to tee got given another 8 x TP5x balls as they'd Opendd a new box for Ewen and had some spare. Andy hits a seriously good long ball, the course was just stunning, so tight and penal. Happy to say for the most part my game held up but from about the 7th I stared to feel the painkillers wearing off so couldn't quite get through the ball, but that wasn't ruining my fun, we had a really good game chatting, enjoying the course, company and all that was to offer. Andy even took on course video with me that he's put on the Instagram account which I look awful in 😂. After the 9 it was announced Shane group won the scramble and lucky lad gets a free driver, 3 wood or hybrid of his choice... If you don't want it Shane I'll send you my specs 😂.

Some of the guys the chose to continue to play the rest of the 18, which I really wanted to do but my body wasn't really feeling up to it. But all I can say overall is what a sensational day by GM, TM, Me and My Golf, as well as all the guys on here it was a pleasure to share it with you today. I'm now a convert of TM drivers and have to persuade Mrs Wolf I need one! Also that I am for a fact going back and playing Woburn as soon as I'm fit and healthy, anyone wanna join me...

So all that's left to say is thanks to everyone that put the day on for us.

Last edited:

Lazkir

Head Pro
Visit site
Fantastic day at a fantastic venue!
Met some top forumers (is that even a word?) and some amazing people from Golf Monthly and Taylormade. The Woburn club and course was just incredible!
Unfortunately I have an early flight to Spain tomorrow so the wife has me sorting baggage etc out at this time. I will do a fuller review of a great day when I get back.

All I can say for now is that if Carslberg did golfing days.... it wouldn't be a patch on today!

P.S. Oh and all the forums guys were lovely, top blokes!