Taylor Made Irons

Green Man

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I had M1 irons and had them replaced twice due to the face caving in. When they wanted to replace them for a third set I kicked off with Taylormade and eventually they replaced them for P790 irons. I love them nice to look at and for me go far and high and also spin when hitting into greens. As above I wouldnt touch the M range but the P range are great.

adasko

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Until the head flies off 😂
Did you have a set of any taylormade irons with a heads flying off the clubs?
This is my second set of TM clubs previous one was a Psi irons that I have for 3 years and never have any problems with them.
What about the ping golf clubs and weights falling off few people have that problem.
I don't think there are any golf manufacturer that didn't have the odd set of clubs that have a problem.

94tegsi

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Have P790’s in long irons which are quality bits of kit. Have a P730 7&9 irons for range work, beautiful clubs.

Sidsidgwick

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Playing parter bought M2 irons from new (after playing Ping for years) less than 8 months of playing twice a week and the 7 and 8 Iron face caved in. Sent back and replaced, 4 months later 8 went again. Replaced with M4 irons, 8 iron head came off after 3 weeks. He now plays Srixon 765’s and wouldn’t look back.

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
I loved the look of the p790s when getting fitted but the titleist ap3s gave me better figures on trackman so went with them still a players hollow head iron the big thing with them is the forgiveness miss hits fly out there still and you don’t have any of these face caving in ect problems the rest of my bag is Taylormade mind with no problems .

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Playing partners M2's are with TM at the moment - same issue - 6 iron face caved in. Would not touch the M range for free, not until their later models have stood the test of time.

He was playing with an older set this week and was complaining about severe loss of distance. I am sick of telling him about jacked up lofts in modern irons, TM being one of the worst.

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
Buy forged irons at least they can be moved if they are out of JIG, the cast list is pretty much set in stone unless you fancy snapping the head off trying.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The shafts will be fine. :)

OK - so only re-gripping and a refurbish of faces - specifically cleaning and sharpening the grooves - would be required. Maybe also a fitting?

I'm wondering now whether my need to change from the WS Tour Blade FFs back then was due to my struggle with the issues with my swing - which I still have. I am gradually sorting that - so maybe my WSs might be fine?

had a look on YT at some comparison vids where a current club is compared with such as the WS FFs. And the 40yr olds compare well. But I am just thinking that modern clubs must give me some help compared with these old blades - the sort of clubs which basically nobody off 9 handicap would think of using today.

As I have been 'accused' of being probably the only person in the club who does not use a distance measuring gizmo (that's an exaggeration I am sure - but maybe not so much amongst SF players) I can just imagine the comments I'd get when I roll up using 35yr old Wilson Staff Tour Blades - and no gizmo. I suspect I will get a new nickname - something like Rip MacWinkle :)

Hmmm. You have got me thinking...

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Getting your current set reshafted might not be a bad idea but not from the suggestion that the old shafts might be tired. Your swing speed may be very different to when you originally got them. At least go and get your swing measured as a starting point.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I do - maybe I should just get new shafts put in them - I'm guessing the shafts are pretty dead (they are the originals from 1984/5) :)
The shafts will be fine. :)
I'd add a tiny caveat of 'almost certainly' to that!

But changing shafts, certainly if buying new ones, is a rather expensive exercise - for quite possible very little actual gain!

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The amount I was quoted to reshaft irons was more than the irons were worth! If you know someone capable great, else you might be as well off upgrading (to something worth upgrading to!)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I don't think there is much difference between the I200 and I210 so I think both would be forgiving and suitable and Golfbidder usually have a decent stock in. I was put off TM when I had the three Burner woods checked (off the shelf and supposedly R shaft. The driver was S, the 3 wood fell inside the R category and the 5 wood was so whippy like wet spaghetti. No consistency

D

Deleted member 1147

I don't think there is much difference between the I200 and I210 so I think both would be forgiving and suitable and Golfbidder usually have a decent stock in. I was put off TM when I had the three Burner woods checked (off the shelf and supposedly R shaft. The driver was S, the 3 wood fell inside the R category and the 5 wood was so whippy like wet spaghetti. No consistency
Were the driver & 3 wood both meant to have the whippy shafts as well?