Taylor Made Irons

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I am looking to buy new irons and have the opportunity to purchase any TM irons at a very significantly reduced price. I have been thinking about Ping i200s or the newer i210s (or i500s?). and no nothing about TM clubs. Any thoughts on TM irons equivalent to these aforementioned Ping ones?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I wouldn't touch TM irons with a ten foot pole. Heard stories about the faces collapsing on a few of their models. And the Robin Matthews-Williams video at the Orka fitting showed this his current TM irons were well off their spec for lofts and lie angles.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Had Taylor Made Burner Plus irons since 2013.
Would recommend and would consider again no problems.

Potential to argue that since 2013 TM have gone in a different direction in terms of high price / high marketing / big endorsement contracts.

However if the price is right, I don't imagine performance will be an issue at all.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I wouldn't touch TM irons with a ten foot pole. Heard stories about the faces collapsing on a few of their models. And the Robin Matthews-Williams video at the Orka fitting showed this his current TM irons were well off their spec for lofts and lie angles.

Had my TM R11s for ten years and never had an issue.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Pretty sure he bought a set of battered old TM blades off Ebay because in his own words, "they looked cool and everyone likes a blade".

I can assure you. Ever ageing bladed iron will have off lies and lofts. You smack them off the ground for years and they are a soft metal.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
M6s? think I can get set of irons for £400. Though looking at them - to my eyes - they look just horrid (apologies to M6 owners who love them). P760s look a lot better but the price tag of £1000 (I'd get them for maybe £700) is not so nice.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Had my TM R11s for ten years and never had an issue.
Probably just the more recent editions I heard it about. Like M2s etc.

Pretty sure he bought a set of battered old TM blades off Ebay because in his own words, "they looked cool and everyone likes a blade".

I can assure you. Ever ageing bladed iron will have off lies and lofts. You smack them off the ground for years and they are a soft metal.
They said in the video that the lies and lofts were off in the wrong direction for that to be the case. i.e. instead of being softer, some of the lofts were actually stronger than they should have been by 3°.

D

Deleted member 1147

I had a fitting with the P760's, they look nice from above, were easy to hit and went a decent distance.
The P790's didn't spin enough for me; they go a long way though and are very easy to hit.

The Ping i500 is a hollow club, so has similarity to the TM hollow heads.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Probably just the more recent editions I heard it about. Like M2s etc.

They said in the video that the lies and lofts were off in the wrong direction for that to be the case. i.e. instead of being softer, some of the lofts were actually stronger than they should have been by 3°.

I'd probably take that with a pinch of salt.

I've seen my irons and those of my friends being either strong or weaker than they should have been when they go to get checked.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I had a fitting with the P760's, they look nice from above, were easy to hit and went a decent distance.
The P790's didn't spin enough for me; they go a long way though and are very easy to hit.

The Ping i500 is a hollow club, so has similarity to the TM hollow heads.

I was looking at the Ping i200s - but they have been superseded (I believe) by the i210. That said -last week I hit a few shots with a friends i200s and really liked the feel - and he had got them for about £400 from golfbidder (which currently has used i200s for that same price). Why pay for new when nearly new previous model can save me £400...

And that's where the TMs come in as I can get TM M6s for £400

Redtraveller

Club Champion
Visit site
Had a set of burner plus a few years ago and they were great. Was playing with someone the other day who had a set of M4's he hit his 5 iron and the head snapped off.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
The new P range of TM Irons are gorgeous clubs. Have hit the P790s and absolutely loved them and they look great, definitely on the list of possibilities when I come to upgrade my irons. Personally wouldn't buy the M6 as they're far too chunky to suit my eye, but I'm sure they're dead easy to hit and go an absolute mile, just not for me.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The new P range of TM Irons are gorgeous clubs. Have hit the P790s and absolutely loved them and they look great, definitely on the list of possibilities when I come to upgrade my irons. Personally wouldn't buy the M6 as they're far too chunky to suit my eye, but I'm sure they're dead easy to hit and go an absolute mile, just not for me.

Your thoughts on the looks chime 100% with mine. Just squirming at the cost.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had M2s in a hire set. Awful. Was laying up to 200 yards so I didn’t have to use one 😜

They really were rubbish, cheap feeling, looking and dead to hit

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I like them and they are long. You certainly know if you've mis hit them, not that the ball doesn't still fly but that the sound is different

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was looking at the Ping i200s - but they have been superseded (I believe) by the i210. That said -last week I hit a few shots with a friends i200s and really liked the feel - and he had got them for about £400 from golfbidder (which currently has used i200s for that same price). Why pay for new when nearly new previous model can save me £400...

And that's where the TMs come in as I can get TM M6s for £400

If you like Ping i210's get Ping i210's. It's only money, you can always get more money. Far more important things in life than cash...