Talk about sweet and sour!

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Got the second card marked today, the Asst Pro took me round and with no time to warm up, I played the worst round of my golfing life, shooting an other 89.

I duffed two chips into the same GUR bunker on the 3rd and that just annoyed me. My short game is pretty hot to be fair and those silly mistakes frustrate me. I played the 16th which is a par 5 with a Drive and a 4 iron to leave me a 30 tard pitch. It took me 3 shots to get on the green :mad:

This is so uncharacteristic and I was completley embaressed, so much so I have vowed to put the time in practicing my pitching.

So, onto the 18th, short par 4 of the winter tee at about 230. Now, after the other posts the other day (Alchemy and Brendys) I reminded my self that a bad round can be saved with a god finish, so...

After driving the green with the best tee shot of the day, I felt good for a birdie! As we got to the green, pin was back left and I was 10 yards pin high on the fringe. I told Paul the Asst I was going to chip in for an eagle with my 7 iron. I took a little bit of time to weigh it up as it was a down hill left to right. I caught it so sweetly it looked in from the start. And in it went for an Eagle 2, my first ever!

It was my 3rd chip in of the day with the 7 but it was the best of the lot, I didnt even care I had shot 11 more shots than my previous round! :D

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The only bright side I can offer is that at least with two bad cards in and presuming you play to your normal standard your handicap will come down quickly once its et (and there may be a pot or two on the way). No-one wants to play (or they shouldn't) off a higher handicap than they know they can play too so go out next time, get the final card in and then use your practice time to sort the problems out

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yeah your right, I want to be as low as possible, that is why I play. I will nail the next card and get that figure right down!

jammydodger

Tour Winner
Visit site
Same thing happened to me Tony , came back after years not playing and they wanted 3 cards , one good one and 2 horrible ones and they gave me 12 h/cap. Played my first round afterwards with the old fellas and shot 1 under gross on the back 9. There was smoke coming out of the old boys shoes as they headed straight to the pro shop to get me cut another 2 strokes.

My point is you know you're better than your scores so be patient and prove it to yourself with some cracking scores in the comps to come.

007chappie

Club Champion
Visit site
Yeah your right, I want to be as low as possible, that is why I play. I will nail the next card and get that figure right down!

Nice to hear Tony, that's how golf should be played. One or two bandits cropping up at my place - but that's another post!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Don't put too much pressure on yourself for the last card. Try too hard and you'll make it worse. Just ease through it and keep the worries away.
Nice to get eagles innit!!

slugger

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've only managed two comps since getting my handicap when i started last year. Handicap is 25, but my last two rounds have been 87 and 91!!!

I've been practicing and getting lessons through the winter and it's beginning to pay off. I just hope i don't get labelled with the bandit tag if i shoot another 87 on the first medal of the year...

we'll see.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I say, panic not.

I practiced quite hard for my 3 cards and wish I hadn't; I got well and truly DONE on my best card since it was off winter tees and the secretary totally ignored the SSS of 4 under the par....

Whatever you do, just get the h'cap!! If it ends up being a bit generous, just enjoy having a couple of spare strokes whilst you are still building your game.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Last one should be shot today, Dont really care what it is now. Lad who is marking for me said he shot 2 89's and I think a 93, they put him off 16!

I have so far shot two 89's. As the asst pro said, the H/C sec will prob see the eagle 2 and knock a few more off in envy :D