Taking your hat off at then end of the 18th

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To turn it round, and maybe cut out the distracting Tom Kite such as Medieval Jousting and (ir)relevance to clubhouse dress code...

Is anyone really offended if their pp offers their hand but keeps their cap on?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
To turn it round, and maybe cut out the distracting Tom Kite such as Medieval Jousting and (ir)relevance to clubhouse dress code...

I wouldn't be offended but I would certainly think they lack manners

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I wouldn't be offended but I would certainly think they lack manners

Interesting.

I...

Always open the door for others.
Always say please and thank you.
Always look after my guests before myself.
Always try not to judge a book by its cover.

But sometimes forget to take my cap off when juggling putter, flag, scorecard, ball on the 18th green.

Does that mean I'm ignorant or lack manners?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Interesting.

I...

But sometimes forget to take my cap off when juggling putter, flag, scorecard, ball on the 18th green.

It isn't necessarily what you are it's how you appear to be!

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Interesting.

I...

It means you can't multitask and are unorganised :smirk:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

I couldn't care less. It says nothing about your manners to me. I find it odd that it upsets people. I'll play a round with you and I wouldn't mind even if you wore your cap in the bar afterwards. It's a non issue to me.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Interesting.

I...

If you don't take your hat off tomorrow I'll bitch slap you into the middle of next week you uneducated oaf!!!:D

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Doesn't that attitude say rather more about the judge than the judged?

Maybe, but my generation was bought up with certain standards of manners that we aren't likely to abandon in later life. If, 50 years ago you didn't take your hat off before shaking hands or going indoors you would certainly have been told off. Things may have changed, it's not for me to say whether that's for the better or not.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Maybe, but my generation was bought up with certain standards of manners that we aren't likely to abandon in later life. If, 50 years ago you didn't take your hat off before shaking hands or going indoors you would certainly have been told off. Things may have changed, it's not for me to say whether that's for the better or not.

Fair play.. It's just a shame that sometimes, those manners don't appear to stretch to the art of "Not Judging".. I can only imagine that the world would be a better place if people learned to take less offense at the unimportant things in life..

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Even though they may have peed all over their hands in the bushes as long as they take their hat off to shake hands its ok.

If I've had a mid round wee I will always lick my hands first before shaking hands with my opponents.

Seriously though.... everyone I know always removes headgear before shaking hands.... though I did have to quietly ask one youngster the other week to remove his baseball cap in the clubhouse.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Fair play.. It's just a shame that sometimes, those manners don't appear to stretch to the art of "Not Judging".. I can only imagine that the world would be a better place if people learned to take less offense at the unimportant things in life..

Makes sense to me.

Strange how a fc takes his hat off on my last match to show manners and respect then half hour later doesn't say please and thank you to the bar staff.

Its a hat for christ sake. Get a life

D

Deleted member 15344

For a lot of people it's a natural reaction to take the hat but if someone doesn't do it then it's not a big deal nor does it say anything about them

Most clubs though request hats not to be worn in the clubhouse so if someone does knowing that then that's just failing to respect the wishes of the club

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I always have and everyone I have played with does.

Yup and I would say a good majority of golfers, club or not, do so. If someone didn't it wouldn't bother me, I just do it as I feel it is respectful to my playing partners. Glove is not on at that point, usually back in the bag before approaching the green on the last.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Those who suggest its a lowering of 'standards' are mistaking traditional behaviour as a sign of 'high' standards. No such thing, the way you treat and speak to others will display your respect, courtesy and education. Blindly following a tradition merely allows the scoundrels to hide behind playing by the in a long life of business and sport I have found some well behaved, well spoken untrustworthy gits.

Whether you take your hat off for me will make not a jot of difference, demonstrate bad language etc in mixed company, now that's another matter!

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
If someone doesn't take off their hat when shaking hands, then I'm surprised rather than offended. It's just something you do. And I'm sure it's not just a golf thing. Don't remember when/where I learned it, but I'm sure it wasn't on a golf course.