Taking your hat off at then end of the 18th

Tim Kav

Visit site
Fair play.. It's just a shame that sometimes, those manners don't appear to stretch to the art of "Not Judging".. I can only imagine that the world would be a better place if people learned to take less offense at the unimportant things in life..

Attachments

• 62DAD39B-5054-4AD9-B30D-6F3146F5369F.jpeg
    62DAD39B-5054-4AD9-B30D-6F3146F5369F.jpeg
    784.5 KB · Views: 15
  • BB03A9E4-3738-48A9-AB7A-F6E19EF4597D.jpeg
    BB03A9E4-3738-48A9-AB7A-F6E19EF4597D.jpeg
    960.2 KB · Views: 15

Tim Kav

Visit site
4 year old thread brought back to life ,why?
I get really tired of hearing guys say that “it’s a tradition” or “it’s a sign of respect”. I went back as far as the 2002 Ryder Cup matches and found that players wearing hats or visors left them on when shaking hands at the end of the matches. It’s a recent habit that has become a “thing”. Not my thing.

User20204

Visit site
Never do it when I play in my usual Saturday 4 ball but if I happen to be playing with folk I rarely play with or against another club, I do it every time.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I caddied as a kid, long before I ever played. Hats were always removed when shaking hands on 18th. They were also removed before going in the clubhouse.

It wasnt ever "a thing: it was just what you did....

It doesn't bother me if someone I'm playing with doesn't remove their hat... that's up to them. Like giving up a seat on a train.

D

Deleted member 16999

I get really tired of hearing guys say that “it’s a tradition” or “it’s a sign of respect”. I went back as far as the 2002 Ryder Cup matches and found that players wearing hats or visors left them on when shaking hands at the end of the matches. It’s a recent habit that has become a “thing”. Not my thing.
“Tipping your hat” as a sign of respect is centuries old, keep your hat on or take it off it’s the 21st Century do as you please, I’m more interested in the person wearing the hat and whether they’ve been good company on the course, one thing for sure though, it certainly isn’t a recent habit that’s become a “thing”

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
“Tipping your hat” as a sign of respect is centuries old, keep your hat on or take it off it’s the 21st Century do as you please, I’m more interested in the person wearing the hat and whether they’ve been good company on the course, one thing for sure though, it certainly isn’t a recent habit that’s become a “thing”
Whilst I like the "tradition" of removing your hat when shaking an opponents hand, it has to be said that there's plenty of videos out there of players from the era of Palmer, Nicklaus, Seve etc not doing it. It does appear to be a relatively recent thing in golf.

And before anyone says "show me proof" in that tried and tested forum tradition. Feel free to find it yourself. I can't be ar5ed in all honesty 😉

D

Deleted member 16999

Whilst I like the "tradition" of removing your hat when shaking an opponents hand, it has to be said that there's plenty of videos out there of players from the era of Palmer, Nicklaus, Seve etc not doing it. It does appear to be a relatively recent thing in golf.

And before anyone says "show me proof" in that tried and tested forum tradition. Feel free to find it yourself. I can't be ar5ed in all honesty 😉
There are plenty of videos both colour and black n white of Golfers removing headress, Sam Snead, Lee Trevino etc, I just don’t think you can draw a line in the sand to call it a recent thing.

User20204

Visit site
I'm also not fussed if another player doesn't do it if I do but what I have noticed is, when I remove mine to shake someone's hand, often the other(s) are almost embarrassed in to doing it as well.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
One thing that I don't like is the pro move of running their hand through their sweaty hair a few times before the shake.

Hallions.

Wolf

Visit site
Always have taken my hat of when shaking hands that could be before a round when greeting someone I've never played with, on the 18th Green after the round or even in everyday life if I'm wearing a hat which I often do. Just something my dad taught me as a kid along with removing it when indoors. Whether others see that polite or courteous or not is irrelevant I guess but something I was taught to do as a sign of Respect, I don't think it's a new thing at all.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Have been playing for 3 years, and never even knew this was a thing! Did get asked to remove my cap in the clubhouse last summer, again, I never knew that was frowned upon , it’s not included in the club’s list of what is and isn’t acceptable attire.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
It certainly isn't a new thing. Back in the late 1950's and 60's when I went to school we used to wear school caps and it was drummed into us to remove our caps when shaking hands or being indoors.