Taking your hat off at then end of the 18th

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Does it apply to all headwear? I’ll take my cap off to shake hands etc but does it apply to beanies in the winter? I’m not sure, I don’t want to make a winter golf, headwear related faux pas 😱

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
How about going to a restaurant to have a meal, would anyone sit and eat with a hat on?
Americans do.

That maybe why some are saying its a recent think and you don't see so and so doing back in the day... simple they are Americans, they may not but, we deff took caps off to shake hands after a Cricket match at School and club and look at old films, very often men wearing hats tipped them when meeting or greeting a lady and shaking hands with a gentleman

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Don’t know where it’s originated from but I always do it. Thought it was just etiquette / manners.

Although I’ve been caught out Once or twice with the flag stick in one hand, putter in the other and someone reaching out to shake hands

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It certainly isn't a new thing. Back in the late 1950's and 60's when I went to school we used to wear school caps and it was drummed into us to remove our caps when shaking hands or being indoors.
What about before tiffin 😱👍😜

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Don’t really like shaking hands after a round. Germs. But I do reluctantly. Very rarely take my hat off if I have one on as my hairs a mess and unkept.

arnieboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Our crowd always remove their hats but it wouldn't bother me if someone didn't. Can't bear people who keep their hats on in a restaurant though.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Does it apply to all headwear? I’ll take my cap off to shake hands etc but does it apply to beanies in the winter? I’m not sure, I don’t want to make a winter golf, headwear related faux pas 😱
I do. Beanie off and a polite handshake and quick word with the PP's and then get the hat back on to keep my ears and head warm. I always take my headwear off on the 18th and always had. As for the 19th my club has a no hat in the bar policy so it's easy and no confusion

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Blimey are we doing this subject again?

Because there are only so many subjects to cover. We just keep doing them on an endless circle as new people join the forum.

Don’t really like shaking hands after a round. Germs.
I am all for swapping out handshakes for fistbumps. It’s also OK to do that with hats on!

Two problems solved with one solution!

Last edited:

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Our crowd always remove their hats but it wouldn't bother me if someone didn't. Can't bear people who keep their hats on in a restaurant though.

This, but is it a young cultural thing same as having your phone on the table perusing it whilst the eating interrupts your phone time. ☹️

triple_bogey

Tour Rookie
Visit site
No, the thing to do is whatever makes you happy and not be a judgemental arse if someone else does something else 👍
(y)

Remove or not, I'm really not bothered. I've sometimes forget to remove my headwear, didn't seem to affect anyone.

But if you're pissing for England, than a light quick fist bump is all you getting. Manners or not! ;)

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I guess I'm conditioned to do, having played golf for so long. I might miss the odd time when the conditioning doesn't kick in. No one has said they'll never play with me again. Equally, if someone else doesn't do it I'm not bothered either way.

I'd be more bothered where they stand when I'm teeing off or if they held the flag...;):ROFLMAO: