Tablet/Laptop hybrid

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Anyone have one of these and if so which and would you recommend it?

Looking at the MS Surface and the Dell Venue but open to other suggestions.

My laptop (17" desktop replacement style) is coming to the end of its life and I noticed that Ive cracked the corner of the screen on my nexus tablet when sat at the poker table last night so both are going to need replacing in the near future.

Is it possible to get one machine to replace both?

Usage wise the laptop currently sits on my desk, used mainly for email, some relatively lightweight MS Excel spreadsheets, storage for my MP3s (albeit these are backed up to an external HDD) and the occasional game of online poker

The tablet is used mainly as a kindle (i could continue to use the nexus for this so not too important) and for when Im playing live poker (internet browsing, playing videos via youtube/skygo etc mainly)

Am a bit worried about it not being big enough as a laptop and too big as a tablet. Would I be better off with 2 separate machines again?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would go for 2 devices as that is my preference. I have a 7inch tablet as I find any bigger than that makes them less easy to carry around anywhere and partially defeats the object of them being portable. I then find it difficult to type anything that is of any great length or needs precision. For anything like that I use a laptop or desktop. To be fair, I use my phone almost as much as my tablet now and it may be that in the future I stick with the laptop, ditch the tablet and go for a phablet sized phone as my portable option.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I would go for 2 devices as that is my preference. I have a 7inch tablet as I find any bigger than that makes them less easy to carry around anywhere and partially defeats the object of them being portable. I then find it difficult to type anything that is of any great length or needs precision. For anything like that I use a laptop or desktop. To be fair, I use my phone almost as much as my tablet now and it may be that in the future I stick with the laptop, ditch the tablet and go for a phablet sized phone as my portable option.

Have had a 7" nexus for a few years, definitely want slightly bigger, probably 10" portability not such an issue as my main use is at the poker table where it sits on the edge of the table, been finding the 7" on the smallish side (my eyes are getting worse as i get old lol). If I go the one machine option it has to have a proper (detachable) keyboard

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
be careful saying that after your comments on the car thread lol!!!!

pm details mate, assume its gonna be only a laptop (not tablet too) and if so on the smaller side of laptops?

yes matey, an ultrabook is a small light laptop. check out my twitter feed, it was on ebay last week but didnt sell.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have a surface pro 2. Perfect size.

So glad I went for one of these rather than a cheaper alternative.

So good. Has a usb drive so memory isn't an issue. Screen is fantastic.

Can't recommend enough.