Swingspeed = How far should I be hitting ball?

Moff

Head Pro
Visit site
I do not hit the ball as far as I should with my irons due to a swing which does not deliver the club in optimal conditions based on what all the internet coaches preach.

Is there a formula which shows roughly how far my 80mph swing speed should be hitting the ball based on a text book delivery of the clubhead?

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Without saying distance isn't everything I would say knowing how far you usually hit is more important than how far you can hit it.

With no formula all I can offer is that as a healthy 30yo with old irons, a dodgy swing and not a lot of speed I hit my 6 iron 155 with roll.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I do not hit the ball as far as I should with my irons due to a swing which does not deliver the club in optimal conditions based on what all the internet coaches preach.

Is there a formula which shows roughly how far my 80mph swing speed should be hitting the ball based on a text book delivery of the clubhead?

Aldila used to post a driver carry estimate for swing speeds.

IIRC,
80 mph was 190 yards
90mph was 215 yards
100mph was 240 yards
110 mph was 265 yards

Few of us deliver the club in optimal conditions.

ruff-driver

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
CarryDistanceSwingSpeedChart-600x218.jpg

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Ive got the GM forum chart for Swing speeds, below.
70MPH 300
80MPH 300 yards
90MPH 330 yards
100MPH 360 yards
110MPH 400 yards

G

guest100718

Distances will soon start dropping off quite a bit as the weather cools down.

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Optimal launch is so important as the slightest difference can cause massive reductions. I was getting swing speeds of circa 100 - 105 mph (measured on my swing analyser device) and was getting approx 200 yard perhaps slightly more total distance on the range with range balls. Not sure on how much less distance they go, but according to that chart I should be getting carry of circa 240-250. Goes to show that just because I'm swinging relatively quickly all other factors take a lot out of the distance.

Swing Analyser was compared to a Trackman and was pretty comparable in terms of recorded speed.

G

guest100718

Optimal launch is so important as the slightest difference can cause massive reductions. I was getting swing speeds of circa 100 - 105 mph (measured on my swing analyser device) and was getting approx 200 yard perhaps slightly more total distance on the range with range balls. Not sure on how much less distance they go, but according to that chart I should be getting carry of circa 240-250. Goes to show that just because I'm swinging relatively quickly all other factors take a lot out of the distance.

Swing Analyser was compared to a Trackman and was pretty comparable in terms of recorded speed.

Spin is a real killer on drives

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Slap bang in between the LPGA and the old guys in where I am.

Quite an interesting chart. Good find!

Is an interesting chart.....

For me more so the relationship between irons and driver. I hit my irons pretty much spot on the distances in the appropriate column but my strike with the driver is poor so the distances there are a lot less consistent.