Swinging easy or hard

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've found that (with a driver) I'm more accurate when I really go for it rather than trying to put one down safely in plan. When I hold back my miss is normally a bit of a slice, but going full on it my miss is just a worm burner to the left.

Is your accurate tee shot gunning for it, or do you hold back a bit?

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I can be on another planet when I swing harder, probably like most people, the art however is trying not to swing harder when you're trying to plant one down the middle.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
This season ive just been clipping the driver about the place.

Kinda like a consistent 20 yard slice.

Fairways in reg way up..scores coming down.

Very rarely jump out of my boots with any club.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's not about swinging easy, it's not about swinging hard. Just concentrate on putting a good strike on it. I fhave be when I try to rip one it will still go down the fairway, more or less. When I concentrate on a good strike it hits the fairway more and normally goes further.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
i always take driver when I'm nervous on the first tee and try and knock the skin off the ball. I've always found that i commit to the shot that way rather than trying to steer one down the fairway. even on friendly rounds if i find myself between clubs i prefer to force some extra out of a club rather than take some off

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I can be on another planet when I swing harder, probably like most people, the art however is trying not to swing harder when you're trying to plant one down the middle.

I don't think it works like that for me, maybe with irons but with my driver when i've been trying to leather the thing, even if i'm feeling a bit off the ball its going straighter than when i just try to swing smooth down the middle.

i always take driver when I'm nervous on the first tee and try and knock the skin off the ball. I've always found that i commit to the shot that way rather than trying to steer one down the fairway. even on friendly rounds if i find myself between clubs i prefer to force some extra out of a club rather than take some off

Glad i'm not alone in that :)

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Steery doesn't work. Lashed doesn't work. Committed does. Committed is your standard going for it swing. Not too fast, nor too slow, not too steady, not too loose.
My coach relates it to swinging a conker. Keep the string taught.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
The important word here is swinging.
Swinging, not hitting.
If I swing the club I'll normally make a good connection.
If I try to hit, I generally don't.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Steery doesn't work. Lashed doesn't work. Committed does. Committed is your standard going for it swing. Not too fast, nor too slow, not too steady, not too loose.
My coach relates it to swinging a conker. Keep the string taught.

This for me. Committed but controlled. If I swing hard it will likely slice.

D

Deleted member 15344

Smooth swing all day long - but make sure you get a clean connection and keep you swing consistent through the strike , anytime I see someone go hard at it they lose control and it’s going to be a slice. You will always get more distance and control from a smooth clean swing - timing is key not how hard you go at it

GasMan

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Try swinging to hit your driver 150 yards at a target on the range. You’ll generally clear your target by 100 yards with scary accuracy. The shorter I try to hit mine, the further it goes!

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
The problem with such discussions is one man's idea about controlled will lead to a steered shot, poor swing and no release.
So controlled isn't an optimum concept for many.
Smooth should work for everyone.
Balanced is normally OK, but can restrict the proper footwork for some.
Personally I like smooth and see the club head strike the ball...but it's not 100% guaranteed to prevent me pulling it

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Smooth. If I go at it too hard, my tempo is shot and it leads to all sorts of sequencing issues. Similar happens if I try and steer and everything gets out of kilter on my drives. I find I can control my irons better and take something off a shot easier if I need to

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've found that (with a driver) I'm more accurate when I really go for it rather than trying to put one down safely in plan. When I hold back my miss is normally a bit of a slice, but going full on it my miss is just a worm burner to the left.

Is your accurate tee shot gunning for it, or do you hold back a bit?
you need to hit at a certain speed to make the shaft work properly.

Trying to dolly it just dosnt work..

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I normally do best if I keep my backswing very controlled (slow and relatively short) and then just trust it and let go. Trying to hit it harder or swing faster only leads to me either loosing control in the transition (and then struggling to make a good contact with the ball) or spending most of my energy before the clubhead ever even comes close to the ball.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
For me, my best drives are aimed at a specific point 200+yds down the fairway. If I concentrate on hitting at that point my mind thinks about squaring the club face. If I go after I risk a big high slice - not every time but often enough to be careful what holes I choose to have a lash.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
you need to hit at a certain speed to make the shaft work properly.

Trying to dolly it just dosnt work..

Such statements show a complete miss understanding of clubhead speed IMO.

Really going for it is rarely a formulae for more clubhead speed in amateur golf.

For those that remember Lanny Wadkins (who was probably the most obvious example of a tournament pro who always seemed to be "going for it" - he got no more clubhead speed than Fred Couples or Ernie Els swining slow and smooth.