Swinging easy or hard

Mark1751

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I need to swing smoothly otherwise I get all out of rythum.

I play with someone who absolutely smashes it on everything other than a short wedge into the green.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Neither, swing committed.

Having to swing hard or soft means you are off plane and physics isn’t working in your favour.

When physics is on your side it feels like your swinging easy but really your committed and not fighting mass and momentum.

94tegsi

Assistant Pro
Visit site
For me it is usually about getting into the right position in the backswing, I can then go for it.

Unfortunately, what I tend to do is try to hard on the way back, overs-wing and then struggle to get it back to square.

Need to feel it slow and relatively short in the back swing, then I can get the near the middle of the club. It feels like I am swinging softer, but in reality I doubt I am.

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If I try to think about what I'm doing with the driver it could go anywhere. I just end up overthinking things, getting too mechanical.

My best strategy is just tee it up, pick a target and then just hit the thing and deal with the consequences. Yeah i'll occasionally hit a really wild one. But over the course of the round I'll hit way more good ones this way than bad.

Oddly enough this only happens with my driver :confused:

D

Deleted member 23270

Ernnnniiiieeeeeee -------->

Ellss <--------------------

Works for me :thup:

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Interesting that most people talk about swinging harder when they want to go for it, rather than swinging faster.

Harder is generally best saved for the bedroom!
Faster will generally serve you better on the golf course!

Yant

Head Pro
Visit site
I’ve always hit the ball better when I’ve not tried to hit it hard. Smooth and under control is my usual swing thought. Trying to hit it harder very rarely results in more distance. For me.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
You should never swing hard or easy, you should swing at the speed you can control with the driver. The best drivers of the ball always look in control of what they are doing. If you want to hit it further you need to swing faster, not harder.

I have gone on the range before and recorded my swing when swinging hard, swinging easy and swinging at what I would call my normal speed. It was no shock that my normal swing was the straightest and had the most consistent distance. The easy swing had me getting stuck on my back foot and closing the face, the hard swing had my body getting infront of the ball, knocking it out to the right.