Swing Vision - comments on my swing please

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Looks great till the beginning of the downswing but you're coming over the top a little, Micky. Getting too steep on the way down. Keep your hands out in front of your body if you can. Are you finding you're pulling a few?

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Looks great till the beginning of the downswing but you're coming over the top a little, Micky. Getting too steep on the way down. Keep your hands out in front of your body if you can. Are you finding you're pulling a few?

IMHO I think JF's on the money there. Very fluid though. Nice one

Slaighty

Club Champion
Visit site
Agree with JF.
Great set up position.
Left knee seems to move too far laterally.
Upper body dips a tad into impact- check out head level against background.
But not much wrong there.

mickytwodesks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Cheers John, i definatley think my downswing is too steep. I seem to struggle with dropping my right elbow into my body. my shots can hook, slice, top, fat - sometimes all at the same time!

Homer if you play off 14 i dont belive your swing is worse than mine! :eek:

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Mike. You'll see coming into the ball that your right elbow straightens out too quickly. Your right forearm should actually be horizontal to the ground just before you hit the ball. Bizarre but true. Keep the elbow in front of you as you're hitting the ball and you'll be sorted.

stevelockie

Head Pro
Visit site
I concur with J_F. I'm fighting an over the top move at the moment too. I've been working on the feeling that I'm trying to hit the ball with the inside of my right elbow, seems to help me get into the right position, might work for you too.

Bloody good swing for a 28 handicapper though, well done!

B

birdieman

Mickey,
Your basics dont look too bad but there are a few problems :eek:- your hips and shoulder rotation is insufficient - that is contributing to the over the top move on the downswing. You need to work on flexibility so the hips gets to 45 degrees and the shoulder past 90 degrees.
You also look to be initiating the downswing with your arms and hands, you need to start the downswing with the body. As JF says you can't get your body out of the way at impact as the arms have led the downswing combined with a poor weight shift.
To start the downswing really push down onto your left foot and use the momentum of your body weight shifting left to pull your arms down, dont lead with the arms or you'll throw the club off line as you've done on the video. The arms should be passive, the body controlling the swing.
H. Haney :rolleyes:

mickytwodesks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the advice lads, i'll review my swing and try and focus on the right arm. one problem i have on the course is that i fall apart, mentally rubbish - hence the 28 handicap

Cheers for the good swing comment though! :D

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Off 28.....surely not.....much too good for this mate.

Some really good things. Side on, I like a lot although watch that left knee. Down the line.....hmm.....for my money, you are bringing the club back on the inside (look at your 9 o'clock) and then setting the wrists with a really flat plane. From there, things get a bit odd.

You have a reverse-furyk swing, flat on the way back and steep on the way down. I'd be surprised if you don't pull almost eveything at the moment.
The tempo looks good, I really like your "dip" into the ball on the way down. I noticed you hold a fair lag but lose it just a tad too early (like me, but I got down to 8). I love the way you drive your legs after the transition.
Cracking left arm through impact.

You need a drill to flatten it out on the way down.....I'd be tempted to try a shaft in the ground as a reference or something even more radical. When was your last lesson and was it with a video? One "good" lesson fixing this and I'd say you could tumble.

Good stuff, well done for the dual screen vid.....how d'you do it?

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Micky

Agree with a lot that has been said just a quick practice tip. try putting a head cover into your right armpit. This should keep your arms in front of your body keep it there as long as poss it will fall out but not untill you extend through to your finish. It will stop you coming over the top and get you rotating your shoulders keeping your arms passive.

clubchamp07

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
keep swinging like that micky and you wont be playing off 28 much longer. Looks to me just after u hit the ball you let ur arms go slack. Try and keep both arms going towards the target. Apart from that looks good to me.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
champ, what difference does it make to the shot if you let your arms go slack after you hit the ball?
I ask because I'm pretty sure that I do this.

clubchamp07

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It makes a lot of difference. I think that if your going to stop after you hit the ball that means your not comitting to the shot.
Whenever your putting do you stop as soon as you hit the ball? NO, I hear you scream, well then they tell you to follow through, this is because (I think) if your take away is straight back then it helps if your follow through is straight forward.
I always wondered your question aswell until I seen it for myself that the follow through is as important as the take away.

MVP

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I really like your "dip" into the ball on the way down.

thats not a good thing that is whats causing him(or is the cause off) to come over the top and swing to steep on the down swing.
there should be no dip at all he should be just turning his shoulders back through.
John findlay has pretty much written what i'd say about it.

You can always rely on good ol john.