swing update vid - comments welcome

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Yeah - he's got the clubhead stuck in the ground and can't get it out.....:rofl::rofl:

If he keeps wiggling he might get it free :D

Made one that's not quite so 'squeezed'...

image.gif

and one of Tiger
(could get used to making these!!) :D

image.gif

Last edited:

Jimbooo

Challenge Tour Pro
www.gosimply.com
Hi James

Yep, this. I know I do this.. and I think I've always done this to some degree. :(

Do you have any drills to help me fix this? Something based on what it should feel like would help the most.

I notice that Tiger's head is much lower at impact than at setup...

Thanks again

ps. these comparisons are really great btw!

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Ok, you are too keen to swing inside out... your path from the inside will create a hook if you square the face (big draw missing to the left of the target) so in an effort to keep the face open you raise your hands and push the hips in, keeping the face open.

The idea is to change the path so that it comes thru the impact zone more neutral, you still swing from the inside but your turn makes the path LESS from the inside thru impact (so it's just a few degrees).

What you want to feel is that someone is standing to your right side with their arm around behind you pulling on your left hip, so as you start your downswing they pull your left hip backwards behind you. This should make you FEEL that the club will swing more left thru the strike instead of your hands swinging away from you. You don't swing across the ball like someone who swings OTT you swing from the inside but just exit more left as your left hip gets pulled backwards and around. Your right hip should then feel like it goes more 'targetwards' than towards the ball as it turns.

Keegan Bradley has some left hip movement similar to what I'm describing... he's not spinning his hips as fast as he can, he's backing his left hip out of the way...

[video=youtube;bizIgqt9Fxs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bizIgqt9Fxs[/video]

Last edited:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Don't know if you'll understand this pic but to me THIS IS THE FEELING of the club thru impact for a correctly pivoted swing.... (looking from above)

imp.gif

Jimbooo

Challenge Tour Pro
www.gosimply.com
Hi James

Yep it makes sense - thanks.

I'm off up Homelands range tonight in Ashford for an hour or two. Gonna try your suggestions out. I'll take some videos.

Cheers

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
If you turn left but throw the club outside (because you're used to the hands leaving the body) then you might hit a couple off the pipe... don't let that put you off though :p :D

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
^
^
^
If it's bad then report by PM :rofl:

If you find you're swinging left but smothering them or hitting them uber low then make sure you keep your head back.

(so many things to think about !) :p

Jimbooo

Challenge Tour Pro
www.gosimply.com

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
For some swings I concentrated on someone pulling my left hip back as you'd suggested, for others I concentrated on trying to keep hands closer to the body on the downswing.

Easy? Ball flight OK?

You have to get the hip out of the way so you can turn your torso thru, so you can turn your shoulders thru, so you can turn your arms/hands/grip of the club thru, so you can turn the club head thru.... it's a chain. With the hip in the way you can't turn so you have to stall and chuck your hands down the line.

Last edited:

Jimbooo

Challenge Tour Pro
www.gosimply.com
Easy? Ball flight OK?

You have to get the hip out of the way so you can turn your torso thru, so you can turn your shoulders thru, so you can turn your arms/hands/grip of the club thru, so you can turn the club head thru.... it's a chain. With the hip in the way you can't turn so you have to stall and chuck your hands down the line.

I'd say 'easy' might be going a bit too far... certainly wasn't difficult though (after a few shanks :)). Ball flight was generally good, expected loft and distance (maybe a bit less distance as I wasn't trying to kill it) and generally straight-ish - a few nasty hooks but I think I get the idea.

Are the new videos an improvement - am I heading in the right direction?

Cheers!

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
The hips look quite a bit better, even though the angle of the vid isn't quite the same. The hands (which you say were closer) aren't, although they look like they are exiting more left than away from you.

That said, the swing looks much better balanced and flowing, I think you can do MORE, but it's early days.

If you can clear your left hip backwards a bit more (left foot flared????) and get the grip moving more left (hands leading, 2 inch follow thru) then you'll be able to swing as hard as you physically can!!!

Would like to see you work on getting that right arm unstuck from your ribs on your backswing so you can swing a bit fuller.

Here's your 'images' from a couple of the shots, you can see there's less of a 'humping' motion as your right hip appears to go more targetwards.

ji2.gif

jimbo.gif

Last edited:

Jimbooo

Challenge Tour Pro
www.gosimply.com
Great stuff James many thanks - looks like I'm headed in the right direction then.

Back up the range today - might even get 9 holes in. I'll work on the hips more and the hands moving more left. I think the right arm might take a little longer to crack though - perhaps I'll leave that one until I'm happier with the hips clearing etc. Don't want too much to think about at once. ;)

Will report back! :cheers: