Swing speed

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had a lesson the other night. Was really good. One of the things that confused my coach was my swing speed. I averaged 89mph with a 7 iron and 102 with my driver. Yes the ball was still going 390 yards (that was the 7 iron).....
But seriously, forum distances aside, he said he would expect the driver speed to be higher given the 7 iron speed. He put it down to confidence...
Anybody else have something similar? or what is your driver ss compared to your 7 iron speed?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Had a lesson the other night. Was really good. One of the things that confused my coach was my swing speed. I averaged 89mph with a 7 iron and 102 with my driver. Yes the ball was still going 390 yards (that was the 7 iron).....
But seriously, forum distances aside, he said he would expect the driver speed to be higher given the 7 iron speed. He put it down to confidence...
Anybody else have something similar? or what is your driver ss compared to your 7 iron speed?

Age. That's what I put it down to!

User20204

Visit site
What was it that confused the coach ?

Just reading your post it says 87 for 7 and 102 for driver, I'm not quite getting what he was confused about ??

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site

Karl.. Is your Driver standard and your irons fitted longer..

Wolf

Visit site
Don't actually know what mine is would love a launch monitor of my own to set up and use to get the numbers regularly but I don't think Mrs Wolf would be happy with that expense

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What was it that confused the coach ?

Just reading your post it says 87 for 7 and 102 for driver, I'm not quite getting what he was confused about ??
He thought given the extra length of the driver shaft the driver ss should have been higher. Some driver swings were 97 mph and highest 105...

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Try a feeling of a slightly longer backswing.

You generate a naturally strong iron swing but could maybe do with giving yourself more time to unleash the big dog. Wind it up, smooth transition and then turn on the power late. BOOM. Let it fly.

Give it a bash. Nothing to lose except a bit of accuracy and even then they say speed can stabilise the clubhead.

User20204

Visit site
He thought given the extra length of the driver shaft the driver ss should have been higher. Some driver swings were 97 mph and highest 105...

Just checked my trackman stats. Driver average 100, 7 iron 83, yours seems along the same lines comparably to mine.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
last set of data I have of mine, 7 iron was 88mph, Driver was 109mph my irons are half inch longer and that driver is cut down approx an inch, that said I do go (too) hard at the driver