Swing speed and shafts

golfdub

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Does anyone have any good knowledge of what swing speeds suit what flex shafts ? I'm currently playing steel stiff and swing at 105 mph but I'm in the market for a second hand set but just want to make sure that I get the correct flex.

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
there is more to it than just swing speed.
what do u swing at 105? driver or irons?
my driver ss averaged at 109 i use a stiff flex 70g shaft i think im borderline for x flex but i like my driver, at my iron fitting i was measured at 93 for 7iron, but the fitter said the s 300 would give more workability than an x flex.

golfdub

Tour Rookie
Visit site
there is more to it than just swing speed.
what do u swing at 105? driver or irons?
my driver ss averaged at 109 i use a stiff flex 70g shaft i think im borderline for x flex but i like my driver, at my iron fitting i was measured at 93 for 7iron, but the fitter said the s 300 would give more workability than an x flex.

That speed is with a 6 iron and most of the clubs I'm looking at have the s300 shaft fitted

MGL

Challenge Tour Pro
www.mygolf.me
Your chances of getting the 'correct' flex like this are just guess work IMHO.

I use about 6 or 7 different companies steel shafts (KBS, TT, Apollo, FST, Shimada, PX, etc). If I frequency measured all of their S flex shafts, I'd probably get 7 different 'S' flex frequencies - ranging from an R flex to an XX flex!

Depending on the sort of trajectory desired, i would chose different shafts as there is much more to it than a letter on the shaft label.

One companies S flex is another companies R flex is another companies X flex. Its really like comparing Apples with Tangerines!

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Does anyone have any good knowledge of what swing speeds suit what flex shafts ? I'm currently playing steel stiff and swing at 105 mph but I'm in the market for a second hand set but just want to make sure that I get the correct flex.

well you are blessed with the club head speed of a tour pro - so make the best of it and get fitted properly for your shafts; it would be a real shame to waste all that talent.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Min 160 max 170.

Those figures just don't add up. My driver swingspeed is slower than your claimed 6i speed but I'm hitting my 6i the same distance as you are. I'd get those figures checked again if I were you.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Master Luke is about 92mph and his 6 iron on a sunny day will be around 185yds.

Sure your not quoting your driver SS as I don't think I've heard of 105mph with a 6. 105 with driver is quite common though!

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Must be either driver speed. 105 with a 6 iron is Alvaro Quiros territory.

Anyway, the answer is the same. More to shaft choice than swing speed, so you need to get to a fitter and have it checked out.