Swing Speed and Shaft Flex

Raesy92

Assistant Pro
Visit site
What swing speed would require you to think of changing from regular shafts to stiff?

I currently just use regular shafts for all clubs as was clueless when bought my irons a year and a half ago but thinking I might need to go for ones with a stiff flex and concerned this might be affecting my game.

D

Deleted member 21258

This is a great video on youtube over shaft flex :-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=294TseHXs7k

Mark crossfield also has a video and kind of says flex makes little difference. So make of both the vids what you think.

There is plenty more data on the web if you google it, and basically swing speed and shaft flex isn't 100% linked. All depending on how you swing the club(smooth, or short or aggressive, early release etc).

I am having major issues with my driver at the moment, which was always a very good club for me and think this maybe my problem. Hence why I am researching it currently. My shaft maybe to weak (I have been increasing my swingspeed over winter). Initially the driver was going longer and longer in distance but about 6-8 weeks ago, as my speed increased more, I just cant feel the club and feel the clubhead properly and it is all over the place, strike is terrible, flights everywhere, low, high, slice, hook, pull, push etc. I have what it says in this video, ie every shot under the sun(rest of shorter clubs are still pretty much okay). Its only when I slow down to snail pace that the drives are okay.

I think to answer the question, you really need to go and try different shafts or get fitted. Certainly after last night playing, I think I am going to try some, driving is destroying my scores!

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Only my opinion.

Getting the right shaft flex (and weight) for you is 'fine tuning'.

I play stiff shafts with a driver ss of low 100's and 6 iron high 80's, but I'm sure I could get away with playing regular if need be.
In fact, I bought my current driver off the back of a round with a regular shafted demo club. I bought the stiff version but would have been more than happy with regular the way I was hitting it.

As long as it's not massively off the mark (flex that is), it won't make you hit horrible shots.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Most shaft manufacturers state a driver swing speed around 95mph as the cutover point from regular to stiff but this is only a guideline and varies depending on shaft and swing characteristics.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As there is no industry standard for what regular or stiff means, you just need to try different shaft/head combinations and find out what suits you best. Might be regular in one shaft for irons and stiff in another shaft for driver

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
With modern day shafts you really can't pick your shaft flex by your swing speed. You have to look at all the main aspects of a shaft, Flex, Weight and Launch.

With my SS I am at the higher end of the recommended SS for a Stiff shaft. I find I have 2 options, I either go for a lightweight higher launching X-stiff or a heavier lower launching Stiff. The X-stiff does give me a bit more distance, but the Stiff gives me better consistency so I go for the Stiff option.

Go get a proper fitting is the best advice. Do what I did and have a play around with different flexes and weights. Do not get caught up in what goes the furthest though, concentrate on what gives you consistency. I gave away about 15-20 yards by going for the shaft I did, but I rarely hit a poor drive now and even the bad ones are still in play more often than not.