Swing Slow! Keep your head still!

eddie_1878

Visit site
Keeping my head still has been fundamental in improving my game. 12+ months ago I was swaying off the ball on the backswing resulting in mostly fat shots...focusing on keeping my head in roughly the same position has helped keep my mass centred.

Similar with the downswing where if I focus on keeping my head in the same spot as I rotate, it makes it easier to get that side-bend.

The above has resulted in better, more consistent strikes with all my clubs. Very rare you’ll see lateral head movement on tour players until after the strike too.

Perfectly sound advice IMO.

As to ‘slowing’ the swing down. I’m sure most on here will testify that trying your hardest to hit the ball will result in poorer, weaker shots. I’d suggest that any beginner focuses on hitting out the sweet spot consistently for distance, as opposed to speed- which comes later.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Keep yer ’ed still.
We’ve all heard it.
What is really meant is keep a central part of the windmill steady. “Windmill” is a simple description of what is going on with those arms and the club. I must have read it in a book, maybe by Max Faulkner, I certainly have not made it up myself.
In reality the head might move up or down or whatever, but as long as somewhere between the neck and the middle of the lower body area is remaining centred and balance is maintained an effective golf swing can be achieved.
For a beginner or early improver the edict “keep yer ’ed still” is a good abbreviation for all of the above.
Take a look at some slow motion footage of a cheetah or a gibbon doing some seriously athletic stuff with limbs and body. How much is the head moving compared with the rest of the body and limbs? It is all about the eye-to-hand coordination in humans and the continuation of hand-to-club in golfers. Some central part of the mechanism must remain centred.
Speed of swing – “Slower”
Again, for the beginner or early improver it is a “must do” to avoid a too-fast backswing and a start of the downswing that is also too fast causing a deceleration rather than an acceleration towards impact.
A controlled and well coordinated backswing is required and the very start of the downswing must be slow so that acceleration is occurring through impact. The slow controlled start to the downswing is also beneficial to coordinating a centre of clubface strike.
It is a mistake to “muscle it” from the very start of the downswing. With a slow start to the downswing acceleration will occur naturally without any “muscling” or unnecessary tension in the arms. Optimum club head speed and acceleration through impact can be achieved while in full control. This is the “big easy” phenomenon.
All of the above is best summed up to the beginner or early improver as “slow it down” to see if they will achieve a natural swing with far less tension in the arms and make consistent well times strikes.
Now, everyone, go out there, swing as fast as you like and wallop the excrement out of it, it is such great fun!