Does Driver head size slow your swing speed the bigger they get.

Dereedwa

Visit site
Hi just wondering about the size of driver heads/weight.

Is there actually a break point where the size of the head slows you down, if so what is the optimum size to maximise your speed?

Cheers

Budds

Banned
Visit site
Hi just wondering about the size of driver heads/weight.

Is there actually a break point where the size of the head slows you down, if so what is the optimum size to maximise your speed?

Cheers
I don't believe there's any noticable difference with modern drivers. I can remember the Integra Sooo Long (it was too) that was 650cc that didn't seem to reduce swing speed noticably. And any loss of speed caused by the heavier head is compensated for by the increased mass and conservation of momentum (M*V) applies.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Several of the manufacturers now take aerodynamics in to consideration with modern designs. Rare to see a driver that does not meet the maximum size allowable these days anyway.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don't know what the answer is but I suspect the smaller the head of the same profile the faster the speed.
But gains I n efficiency of strike outweigh the small loss of speed due to increased air resistance.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
The 460cc limit was brought in to stop heads getting any larger.

600cc had already appeared and while drag might have been higher, it was still beneficial to the golfer to have the larger head.

Dereedwa

Visit site
I don't believe there's any noticable difference with modern drivers. I can remember the Integra Sooo Long (it was too) that was 650cc that didn't seem to reduce swing speed noticably. And any loss of speed caused by the heavier head is compensated for by the increased mass and conservation of momentum (M*V) applies.
Nc1 cheers, 650 is huge lol
Thanks Derek

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
When I had a fitting for a new driver the Ping G425 came out best and the pro advised as I’m a senior not to go with the max but the smaller headed driver.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
What was his reasoning?
He said as I have a slow swing speed the smaller head would give me more swing speed than a larger head. I would like to try the max sometime to see if there’s any difference.

I’m doubtful if there would be much difference in distance between the two.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
He said as I have a slow swing speed the smaller head would give me more swing speed than a larger head. I would like to try the max sometime to see if there’s any difference.

I’m doubtful if there would be much difference in distance between the two.
The smaller headed driver is also a lower spinning driver...the combination of an extra couple of mph + 3 or 400 rpm less spin will up your distance, especially if you put too much spin on the ball to start with.

ThinBullet

Visit site
Ping heads have generally been heavier heads (apart from the G430), so they employed counter balanced shafts to combat the extra swing weight. I noticeably swung a Ping driver slower than something like a TSi3. Ball speeds weren't too different because the Ping has more mass behind the ball. It's just what you prefer feeling. At times, on a windy day though, I could feel the Ping dragging a bit. At times it felt heavy. Whereas my TSi3, just cuts through anything. Not very scientific I know, but it's all I got.