Swing Slow! Keep your head still!

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Why do people insist on using these? Why would you swing slower? If you want to hit a ball like a 3 year old or a fragile old man then go for it, would you tell a boxer to punch slower?! The golf swing is a dynamic movement - why would your head be still!!!! Watch any video of golf pros and they don't keep their heads stationary!

Slower should be about timing and rhythm not speed.

Why on earth do people insist on saying this!

Boomy

Visit site
Possibly for people who are excessively fast on their backswing? Or if someone has an excessively wobbling head movement issue during their swing?
Swing smooth, and keep centred might work better though.
Personally I’ve never heard a single soul say “swing slow, keep your head still” like that.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
My son, who is 14 and plays off 12 has a tendency to swing way too fast. Rather than say slow down it is all about the tempo but really he needs to slow down. His other fault is dipping the chin as he takes away and pulling everything up as he comes through. The problem is when you try and focus on this he either moves his head too much or his chin is up too much. Again we practice via his coach and maintaining the correct posture including the upper body and getting the tempo right is a a focus when he is playing poorly.

We could say slow down and stop moving your chin but we don't.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Swing slower is about keeping your timing right, arms and body as one. When people swing fast it's often all arms so the power goes, timing is off, rubbish shot here you come. It's something mentally to hold on to.

Boomy is right, swing smoothly is what they mean but perhaps that doesn't work as well as a swing thought.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
people confusing tempo with rhythm

people believe that they will achieve better rhythm by reducing their tempo

for instance, a lot of people think that Els has a slow tempo, and call him the big easy. But him side by side with an amateur, he will have finished his swing before the amateur has finished their backswing. He swang fast, club head speed well above 100mph. He had fantastic rhythm though that gave him the appearance of swing slowly.

Someone did an analysis and worked out that the most consistent pros all have a tempo of 3:1, so swing slower does not make sense you are right

D

Deleted member 29109

Who’s giving golf tips? We are/were discussing the OP’s original question? It’s what you do when someone raises a question on a forum.
I must have missed where the OP asked about this in relation to the forum?

I interpreted it as common advice that is often handed out. Similarly, keep your head down, or keep your eye on the ball. As I said, usually handed out by the very people you don't want to be receiving advice from.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
"Keep your head still" is a bit of a misnomer, but from personal experience I find it more of a shorthand way of saying don't lift your head and/or shoulders until you've finished striking the ball. As that's a good way of consistently topping it. But it doesn't, or shouldn't mean keep your head perfectly rigid throughout the swing.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
They all have their purpose. And can be great advice. Normally given by someone who has had success by applying said advice.

Very common though as BiM suggests that those giving the advice, have zero clue about its purpose, meaning or correct application. Nor understand if their success is related to it or not.

You could very easily use the phrase, 'Try to change your biomechanical timing in an attempt improve the efficiency of your kinematic sequence' means the same, sounds intelligent, is still tosh if neither teacher or student understand.

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Maybe the idea is too concentrate on one thing whatever that maybe and not 100 swing thoughts...

I suffer with thins, so the keep your head down thought is the one I’ve got going on. It’s lasted more than a few holes so it has its merits ?

RichA

Visit site
It's just interpretation, isn't it? I'm not a good golfer, so concentrating on wrist bend and club path is way beyond my current skill set.
I don't "keep my head still", but often have to remind myself to keep looking at the ball until I've actually hit it, rather than looking up a fraction early to watch it's graceful trajectory, as it trickles past the forward tee.
Don't all golfers talk about what they're doing, even us bad ones? It doesn't necessarily mean we're giving advice. I really hope nobody's taking any of my comments as such.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Sorry I must explain, the Swing Slow, head down wasn't said as one complete sentence, more the two bits of advice I hear being said.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I agree with you on the swing slow.
I would rather suggest swinging smoothly to a balanced finish.

But keeping the head still always has been and always will be good advice in my x professional opinion.

Would you like a list of names? might be hard to do that:ROFLMAO:

It's more a general set of terms I hear random people

I meant are these people pros or amateurs?

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I agree with you on the swing slow.
I would rather suggest swinging smoothly to a balanced finish.

But keeping the head still always has been and always will be good advice in my x professional opinion.

I meant are these people pros or amateurs?

Got you - Amateurs.

When I say keep the head still - like not moving it whatsover, and keeping it static. Try doing something like a baseball swing or punch keeping your head down and not fluid.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Got you - Amateurs.

When I say keep the head still - like not moving it whatsover, and keeping it static. Try doing something like a baseball swing or punch keeping your head down and not fluid.

Try moving your head around (up, down or side to side) and returning the clubhead to the same point every time.
Not impossible but very difficult for most amateurs