Swing help

socky

Head Pro
Visit site
I've played golf on and off for a few years but over the last 10 years it's only been 1 or 2 rounds per year. Obviously this isn't enough to improve. This year though I had some lessons and have worked hard to get my swing and game in order, I'm really looking to improve and get from 20ish down to 10 by the end of 2012. I am still really troubled by weak slicey long irons though (5,4 and 3). No real power or distance and a always a slice. Could you take a look at this swing vid, which is pretty typical of my swing and the result i.e. low slicey rubbish shot.

Any thoughts or pointers would be really appreciated! Cheers.

http://www.swingreader.com/video/view/QpIJg2ER/chris-4-iron

Thanks !

Last edited:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Hi
Nice swing overall.
Good tempo and backswing.
The problem is at impact as I see it.
You seem to be pulling the clubface out to in across the ball through impact. If the face was square to the swingpath, you would get a straight pull which I guess happens sometimes.
Try and feel the club staying on the target line for longer through impact. Then with the clubface square to that path, you will be alot straighter and longer

socky

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the advice, makes sense to feel like you are hitting through the ball, will try it and see what happens.

You are spot on though about straight pull, assuming that means I hit the ball left but dead straight :)

If you pause my vid at 3 secs, basically the top of the backswing, is the club face very open? I thought that perhaps it should be pointing down a bit more and this might be causing me to return the club face open at impact ?

Last edited:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Sorry to say it's the other way. It's a bit closed. That's why I knew you hit the pull sometimes.
It's not too bad and may just need a grip adjustment.
Fix the swing path first then the clubface should be fine

socky

Head Pro
Visit site
Bob,

Thanks for the time and advice, I have been looking around the forum and have read some other advice you posted regarding the sponge / head cover drill.

I'd deliberately changed to try to keep the face more closed quite recently, can revert back to normal now I'm confident the problem lies elsewhere. Shows what trouble you can get yourself in to by tinkering with your swing when you don't really understand the problem !

Can I ask one final question..... I have tried hard to stop an over the top swing, is my swing now just going wrong at the last moment and through impact, or is still 'over the top' ?

Thanks again
Chris

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
it is still a touch on the outside coming down.
Imagine there is a line through your toes down the fairway (in red)
Try and keep the clubhead inside that line as long as you can. (yellow line)
The headcover drill will help more so with the headcover in front of the ball (blue circle)

sponge.jpg

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
http://www.swingreader.com/video/view/aEyKA1WD/5-iron

I've been working on my address position, having a little less flex in the legs and standing slightly closer to the ball (as I was hitting a lot off the toe)

I can see some improvement, what do you experts think when compared to my previous swing?

Cheers!

personally I think you have a good swing and nice rhythm and tempo. I'm no expert but without seeing the grip and more swings the most effective change I would make at this stage is to quieten down the hips and knees on the backswing.
What I mean is I feel you turn the hips too much on the backswing and you also straighten the right knee too much imo (lots of vids of pros with straight right legs but each person is different)
so just resist the turn a tad more and it should help the downswing.

As I'm no expert this could be totally wrong for you but try it and see how you get on, what have you got to lose.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Even though the first ones weren't bad, that looks much better than what you had imo.

If that is your on course swing as well (rather than trying to smash it into oblivion) I can see your handicap tumbling (unless you're already very low?).

Is all the improvement just from the advice on this thread, or do you have lessons as well?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Your second video is much better, you have improved your posture and are swinging more from the inside. Your hands exit higher which suggests you are hitting more in to in. Very nice swing.

The only point I would suggest to you is that you are straightening your right leg in the backswing, this can create problems with your weightshift and get you off plane which will leak some power. (Stack and Tilt people may disagree but you are not using S&T) Take a look at swings of Luke Donald or Ernie Els and see how they hold the flex in the back knee.

Well done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08rpqW2Z9Vw&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGZbxYveIiw

Last edited:

socky

Head Pro
Visit site
Hey,

Thanks for all the kind words.

I joined a club for the first time this year, got 3 cards in and am now playing off 17. I've really struggled taking my swing (this is probably the best example of it) on to the course. It's very easy to get tempted in to trying to hit the ball too hard or trying to swing too quickly. I guess that's a mental thing and something I need to work on; just concenrate making a good swing rather than trying to direct the ball where I want it to go and looking up too quickly.

I will try to keep the left leg flexed more during the backswing swing, I did some swings at home to get the feeling and I think that will also restrict some of my hip turn in the backswing, which will help too perhaps. Will work on it for a few weeks and post another vid up (if you are interested).

The aim is to get to 10 by the end of the year. Fingers crossed.

Cheers all.