Swing Aids & Wilson clubs

Chrystovski

Visit site
Hi all,
I started playing golf about 4 months ago so apologies in advance if I end up asking daft questions or using incorrect terminology.
I'm after a bit of advice with regards to my swing and swing aids in paticular and was hoping some of you may have some experience using either this product (Swingyde)

http://www.americangolf.co.uk/balls...ZTQo52Znt_rX3kjuAT92cd5Vmb_ufUfmXEaAs6i8P8HAQ

or this one (PGA Tour Swing Grip Trainer)

http://www.americangolf.co.uk/balls...-aids/pga-tour-swing-grip-trainer-249134.html

My main issue is that I cut my back swing causing the ball to dog leg to the right whilst the ball is in flight.

I have had 8 group lessons and am due to have a one hour personal session in 10 days time which will hopefully help me cure this issue but if anyone could offer some insight on the above products I would be most grateful.

I've definately seen some improvement since I started the group sessions and have managed to get my 9 hole round score down from low 70's to low-mid 60's, I've not managed an 18 hole course yet as it takes me too long to get around the 9 hole just yet. I'm sure I won't be making the tour anytime soon but I'm really enjoying it. ;)

Also what do you all make of Wilson clubs? I purchased a Wilson Driver & 5 wood and managed to break both of them already. The driver broke twice (manfacturers fault) which I have now replaced with a Cobra S3 max driver and the 5 wood broke on Monday. I'm awaiting to find out the cause of the issue with that, but I'm starting to think I should avoid Wilson kit.

Thanks in advance

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't know much about Wilson clubs, although from what I have heard, it's supposed to be decent - although possibly Wilson Staff rather than the cheaper end of the spectrum.

With regard to the swing aids, I have a Swingyde and a grip trainer (although I have this one http://golf-grip.com/).

The Swingyde is good but only if used properly. It's very easy to get into the habit of cheating and hunting out the position it's trying to get you into by manipulating your hands rather than making a proper swing and using it to check whether what you're doing is right or not. Used properly I think it's a good tool, used badly I think it could be disastrous.

I chose the grip trainer that I did as I like that I can use it on my actual clubs and actually hit balls with it on the club. I see that the one you're looking at would allow you to swing indoors, but for me the benefit of that would be outweighed by then not having the same feeling when you pick up your own club.

Getting lessons early is a good shout and I wouldn't be afraid to ask your coach what he thinks of these aids and whether they are consistent with what he's trying to teach you to do (I can't see that they wouldn't be, particularly the grip).

Chrystovski

Visit site
Thanks for the reply Canary maybe I have been unlucky with Wilson clubs or maybe I am not quite getting my swing right...

i guess self discipline is required when using the swingyde, I'm determined to get it right so I'm sure it will be of benefit to me.

That grip trainer does look like it would be more useful than the one I originally looked at, as like you said you can use it on an actual round.

ill have a look into that and speak to my coach to see what he suggests.

adiemel

Head Pro
Visit site
I recently brought a set of Wilson staff D-100 Irons. I have to say I am really happy with them the 4 and 5 iron are a hybrid style and then 6iron thru to sw find them a joy to play with. couldn't be happier

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have the golf grip too which is great for getting the hands in the right place. I've had loads of aids over the years and most are discarded pretty quickly. I'd save the money and get a lesson. Better long term outcome

rob_golf1

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I have the golf grip too which is great for getting the hands in the right place. I've had loads of aids over the years and most are discarded pretty quickly. I'd save the money and get a lesson. Better long term outcome

Yep I second the idea of a lesson. They've helped me no end in tidying things up.