Swing advice welcomed

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
I posted on here a while ago, but was on a paved area with no ball to hit.

To cut a long story short, filmed a few swings last night at the club, 1 3 wood and 1 7iron.

Any feedback or advice welcome.

My usual shot is a slight fade, my bad shot is a wicked slice.

3 Wood

7 Iron

Bob hope you're reading this. :D

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I posted on here a while ago, but was on a paved area with no ball to hit.

To cut a long story short, filmed a few swings last night at the club, 1 3 wood and 1 7iron.

Any feedback or advice welcome.

My usual shot is a slight fade, my bad shot is a wicked slice.

3 Wood

7 Iron

Bob hope you're reading this. :D

I am.
:)

Are you happy with the fade and how often do you practice?

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
I would prefer to get a gentle draw as my shot shape normally. But I practice about 4 hours a week and play a full round once a week.

I want to reduce my handicap this season to less than 15. I only started playing last March.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm guessing you're quite tall which tends to steepen the swing plane a little.
For you to hit a draw, you would have to change quite a lot.
I think your time would be better spent grooving the fade and getting rid of the slice first. Then, see how the handicap comes down.
People think a fade is a poor shot, I dont agree.

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
I'm only 5'11". Just a tad thin lol.

What do you reckon to prevent the slices. Lately I've been playing to way under my handicap, even beating my target for the season.

My putting averages 1.6 - 1.8 per hole, haven't 3 putted for over 90 holes. My short game is pretty steady just my tee shots, that is the reason I only have a 3wood and no driver, want to get this right before I go for anything with less loft.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
It's a bit tricky to tell from that camera angle but your left hand looks a bit weak. Try turning it a touch to the right and see if that stops the big slice

Mungoscorner

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Swing looks good to me,your posture and set up are spot on,and your angles look good all the way through the swing.Hard to tell from the angle you've filmed at,but i'd bet money your left hand grip is weak.Your right hand seems to be dominating the swing just before impact,which is stopping you from releasing the club correctly.Your swinging around yourself at impact instead of releasing the clubhead,so the club will be cutting across the ball,hence the fade.I honestly can't see you playing off double figures for long,if you can sort your release.
How many knuckles can you see on your left hand at address ?

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Looks nice for the most part. The only thing I 'think' I saw that no-one's mentioned is (especially with the iron) that your arms look like they're struggling for room at impact and not extended.

That might be ok though, I'll let an expert comment.

gazzroberts

Visit site
Swing is nice and smooth with a good tempo, and your position at the top looks good.

I would say the slice is caused by your hips.

If you watch the video closely you will notice that your starting your downswing with your hips as opposed to your shoulders.

Having your hips move forward before your arms come through will generate the out to in swing path thus causing your fade or occasional slice.

Try thinking about starting your swing with your shoulder turn and rotating around your hips rather than sliding them through.
I hope this makes sense and helps.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Pretty nice Steve and like you my bad shot is a slice.

I'm concentrating on hitting practice shots out to the right everytime. This is helping me to groove an in to out swing path. Perhaps this drill will help you too.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Swing is nice and smooth with a good tempo, and your position at the top looks good.

If you watch the video closely you will notice that your starting your downswing with your hips as opposed to your shoulders.

Having your hips move forward before your arms come through will generate the out to in swing path thus causing your fade or occasional slice.

Try thinking about starting your swing with your shoulder turn and rotating around your hips rather than sliding them through.

Sorry, but I don't agree with that. If anything, you need to start the downswing more with the hips. The idea is rotate the hips first around your spine axis, with only a subtle movement of them to the target to start the transfer of weight. The shoulders should always lag behind, thus at start of downswing, they shouldn't have moved while the hips have. Doing this will allow the hands to 'drop' into correct plane, promoting a decent in-to-out and assist with getting the arms extension that another poster noticed at impact. At impact, the hips should be open to the target with the shoulders slightly open - you can see this isn't the case for you as they are the same angle. This will contribute to an imbalanced finish, shown by your left foot fanning out (not helped by your footwear!)

Tbh, it's a good swing with good angles. I can't see wholesale changes myself! :)

Good luck :cool:

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Your hips at impact are still square/facing the ball. Just had a look at Schwartzel's impact position, and his hips have turned 90 degrees to the target. Even half way down to the ball he has turned his hips 45 degrees. Hope it helps, rather than confuses. ;)

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site

Sorry, but I don't agree with that. If anything, you need to start the downswing more with the hips. The idea is rotate the hips first around your spine axis, with only a subtle movement of them to the target to start the transfer of weight. The shoulders should always lag behind, thus at start of downswing, they shouldn't have moved while the hips have. Doing this will allow the hands to 'drop' into correct plane, promoting a decent in-to-out and assist with getting the arms extension that another poster noticed at impact. At impact, the hips should be open to the target with the shoulders slightly open - you can see this isn't the case for you as they are the same angle. This will contribute to an imbalanced finish, shown by your left foot fanning out (not helped by your footwear!)

Tbh, it's a good swing with good angles. I can't see wholesale changes myself! :)

Good luck :cool:

" At impact, the hips should be open to the target with the shoulders slightly open"

Surely square shoulders or slightly closed is better than open shoulders?

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I'm not very good with freeze framing, but this is pretty much the impact position.

Stevelev.jpg

Looks better than mine. I'd be happy with that, and just work on wot Bob says time being.

on the whole the swing is pretty good- no way you should be playing to a 15 h/cap, your swing looks much better.

2 small tweaks I would make based solely on the 3 wood video.
1) You start the club outside the swing plane, it can only cross back over now! try a couple of moveaway's moving only the triangle made by your arms and shoulders (dont take a swing) just to show you where the club should start, stick a tee peg in to guide you on a full swing after that.
2) In conjunction with the more on plane moveaway you need to pick the club up a tad quicker so your wrists have 'set' by the time your left arm is parallel to the ground (good check point)

try this and it will feel a bit awkward as all changes do but I think you'll 'feel' a more solid shot into the back of the ball as opposed to a slight glancing blow.

P.S Theres nothing wrong with a fade- ask Lee Trevino