Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5 years plus

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

thecraw

Having had my knuckles rapped for the use of the word tw@t which in my opinion is not swearing and never has been a swear word I was wondering what the general consensus is in relation to said word??

Swear or not?

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Seriously Craw, just take it on the chin and move on. Is it really that big of a deal to chat maturely with other guys who abide by the simple rules?
Its not being naughty btw, its rude and lacks repect when you start calling other members this word.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
You wouldn't have Her Majesty saying it in her Xmas speech, put it that way, Crawford. Now, get to the back of the class after doing 100 lines.

To be fair mate, you've answered your own question by inserting the asterisk. Doh!

Should have said twit.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Interesting word. Like a few others, its origin is both rather rude and historical, but it seems to split opinion on whether it is really very rude or not.

Doesn't particularly bother me one way or the other if somebody uses that word. Much better than some of the alternatives.
How come James May gets away with using the word "cock" almost every week in front of maybe 3 million viewers when it is only ever used in a derogatory way?
:D

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Interesting word. Like a few others, its origin is both rather rude and historical, but it seems to split opinion on whether it is really very rude or not.

Doesn't particularly bother me one way or the other if somebody uses that word. Much better than some of the alternatives.
How come James May gets away with using the word "cock" almost every week in front of maybe 3 million viewers when it is only ever used in a derogatory way?
:D

"Male" swear words are considered less offensive in practice. Makes no sense, but that is how it is. There is another swear word with the same anatomical meaning as the word under discussion that remains a very strongly offensive word to many, and there are also words that describe the same action as the best known commonly used swear word that are less offensive. Like I said, no sense or logic.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Fore, that may be correct, the moderators cannot read every single post and depend on someone using the report post button. Some of them may also be predating the mods appearances.
The thing is, on every other forum Ive ever been on, if someone steps out of line, they get corrected or informed and that is it. On here every time the "offender" gets narky and cant handle being reprimanded in private nor public and has to start a debate, ie monogate, homergate and now this. Just let it go, life is too short to worry about it.

As an aside, the likes of overclockers and a load of other forums block key words, OCUK has got to b e one of the stricter forums Ive ever visited and everyone still gets on.
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/faq.php?faq=vb_user_maintain#faq_vb_avatar_how

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
The thing is peoples perception of the word are different and i personally don't think it is but i've corrected on here before about it.
Is it a regional thing where people have a different meaning for it - Tw@tted - means hit something . Just my own thought on the matter.

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ah Great Britain..The only country in the world where anything anybody say's or does causes offense to someone, somewhere. We must be the laughing stock of the whole world. ;)

Fore

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm not denying your right but when these topics pick up momentum they certainly keep you on the edge of your seat waiting for the next post. Makes riveting reading at times.

I just thought that as Smiffy does not appear to be around at the moment i would take up his mantle of keeping things going for a bit. :D

Moderator = Thankless task. Keep up the good work.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ah Great Britain..The only country in the world where anything anybody say's or does causes offense to someone, somewhere. We must be the laughing stock of the whole world. ;)

You must be unaware of a place called the US - much much worse than here.

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com

It worse than that because we don't do anything in case we offend this tends to cause the most offence :D

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
So did the mod clear it up off his own back or did someone actually have so little going on in his life he thought he should report someone using the word *** which by the way does nothing to offend me, so as the last time I checked freedom of speech was still allowed in not so Great Britain I will use in its full form... :p

Status
Not open for further replies.