Swaying or being trapped on the back foot

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For me this seems to be a perennial problem, it then causes all kinds of issues.
I am pretty sure it’s a common affliction!
Currently I have a solution but it’s a little off the wall, so I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions..

cunnini

Visit site
lessons.......... that's what helped me - note it's plural not singular!

i now focus on turn right hip in backswing and then shifting weight to front of left foot

on YT B DeChambeua has some good drills for strike, look at one with him giving Rick Shiels a lesson, and also one indoor he puts some tape on the mat re strike (but i can't think what to search on YT for this one, but it is Bryson)

Good luck

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Be ready for 100 different solutions. This is what worked for me:

Swaying - imagine squeezing a beach ball between your thighs. Honest, try it. It keeps your lower half stable.

Being trapped on the back foot - I was on my heels, the pro had me more on the balls of my feet. It almost feels as though I'm toppling forwards, in reality I'm not, it just feels different. That helps me get through better.

Obviously see a pro, blah blah. Where is the fun in not getting loads of online advice that may or may not help you 😄

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A fault I often have, mainly as a result of reluctance to put weigh on my leading side due to injury.

I will often start with my weight more on my leading foot and reduce the transfer to weight to the trailing foot in the back swing as this is the lesser of two evils.

As a memory reminder when the injury problems are reduced I practice swing to an extreme - on the back swing I take the leading foot totally off the ground and on the forward swing I take the trailing foot totally of the ground and swing backwards and forwards few times without stopping for half dozen swings.

Mandofred

Visit site
I've always been a fan of the Stack and Tilt.....when I catch myself swaying again and usually hitting fat I go back to that 60% weight on the front foot....and LEAVE it there until follow through.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would start by understanding how the right hip should move, there’s loads out there and it’s not really something that there can be any debate about - everyone agrees.

Then watch some videos, (or speak to a pro, whatever your preferred way of learning is) there are loads of different suggestions as to how to feel that move. Practice a few and see what works for you. Something that works for one person might not work at all for you.

Key to any practice is feedback, you need a way of knowing you’re doing it right. So use a mirror or a video camera or whatever to check you’re doing what you think you are.

FWIW, for me, the feeling is pushing my right hip back by applying pressure in my right foot, I have to flare my right foot to be able to do it. Feels like my right hip goes back on a 45 degree angle. If I try and do what feels to me like turning, I don’t get into a good position.

Examples of coaches explaining it:

All pros will explain the same thing in slightly different ways. Find something that resonates for you.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1147

Other than listening to the pro on here, Bob, the only advice I could give is “don’t sway”.

I wouldn’t get advice from forum hackers either.

D

Deleted member 1147

The weather is rubbish, we can't play, let us have some fun 😝
Ok, what he should do is: turn his hat back to front, fill his lead pockets with additional weight and stand only on his lead foot.

Or, make practice half swings with his feet together. If he sways he'll fall over.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Ok, what he should do is: turn his hat back to front, fill his lead pockets with additional weight and stand only on his lead foot.

Or, make practice half swings with his feet together. If he sways he'll fall over.

Isnt that how Roy Macavoy in Tin Cup got rid of his shanks?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

See, that's more fun, isn't it? 😄

We know seeing a pro is the right answer but in the current weather circumstances it's possible to think about what might help in the meantime.

I've used your second tip myself, it's very effective.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s up to Harpo in the end. I don’t think the answer to all forum questions of this nature should just be “see a pro”. If someone wants some ideas on a particular issue or feel they should be free to ask for them.

Whether they’ll make them any better at golf though, is a different question altogether!

Everyone has a different approach. I like to take the time to understand how the swing works rather than blindly following the advice of a pro, so working in tandem with a pro and getting other views / feels on the points I’m working on has served me well. Some people (most, perhaps?) have no interest in how good swings work, they just do what the pro tells them and that’s enough. No right or wrong way to learn, everyone has their own preference.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
This is something I have struggled with and have worked on over the years. For me, the sensation to stop it is to feel that on the back swing my weight and pressure is going into the inside of my heel on the trail leg - if you were to sway from that position you would lose your balance and fall over.

Another good drill is to take a slight step to the right (as a right handed golfer) with your trail foot as you start your backswing and then a slight step to the left with your lead foot - this helps greatly with weight transfer and stops the sway.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, I have tried a few of them and I was just wondering if there was more out there. I only suffer with the driver, I can get back in time on the shorter clubs.
The ball between the thighs sounds interesting..
I think some of the issue is I tweaked my knee and my body was protecting it. I have now lost both ACLs so everything has to be strong around the knee but any resistance in the system makes its way to the knee because it is the weakest link.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is something I have struggled with and have worked on over the years. For me, the sensation to stop it is to feel that on the back swing my weight and pressure is going into the inside of my heel on the trail leg - if you were to sway from that position you would lose your balance and fall over.

Another good drill is to take a slight step to the right (as a right handed golfer) with your trail foot as you start your backswing and then a slight step to the left with your lead foot - this helps greatly with weight transfer and stops the sway.
Yes that locks the hip from my findings and I can get really into the ball knowing the ball will be left side at worst due to impact position or me still closing the face.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s up to Harpo in the end. I don’t think the answer to all forum questions of this nature should just be “see a pro”. If someone wants some ideas on a particular issue or feel they should be free to ask for them.

Whether they’ll make them any better at golf though, is a different question altogether!

Everyone has a different approach. I like to take the time to understand how the swing works rather than blindly following the advice of a pro, so working in tandem with a pro and getting other views / feels on the points I’m working on has served me well. Some people (most, perhaps?) have no interest in how good swings work, they just do what the pro tells them and that’s enough. No right or wrong way to learn, everyone has their own preference.
The pros teach one swing they don’t teach to maximise what you have. When my knee locked out in a lesson the pro was confused and was quite horrified.. it made an unpleasant noise and I said I would rather not do that again.

Mandofred

Visit site
As a retired teacher, sometimes it just helps to be reminded of something that triggers an improvement. There are a million different things you are supposed to do when teaching.....there were times in meetings when someone mentioned something that caused me to go "hey, I used to do that and it worked....why'd I stop doing it?" Same in golf for me, watching a video usually does nothing...but occasionally it just reminds of something I've dropped from my brain (probably beer caused) and stopped doing. Anybody who just watches YouTube video's and flip flops from one thing to another will end up like Roy McAvoy and will need to be put away in a padded room somewhere. 1705503595348.jpeg