Surrey/Kent Border - which golf club?

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Commute is a massive factor you should consider imo. Driving from croydon to sundridge every time to play a round will soon start to grind, although it is a good set up.
if money and travelling is not an issue, London Club . Best courses around that area and superb practise facilities.

Newnsy

Visit site
I’m a member at Tandridge, so if you have any questions just drop me a message. The best way to join at the moment is through the academy especially if you don’t have a handicap at the moment.
For 500 ish you get 10 1 on 1 lessons, as many range balls as you can hit and you can use the course after 3:30 in the summer 11 in the winter I think or any time with a full member.
That’s how I joined and it was the best decision I made ??

Newnsy

Visit site
and I know Tandridge has a reputation of being a bit snooty, honestly it couldn’t be further from the truth. Myself and my wife couldn’t have been made more welcome and we have made loads of friends and knew no one when we joined

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I know the pro at WK. I liked the course the only thing that would piss me off is the drive down the narrow lanes to it

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Commute is a massive factor you should consider imo. Driving from croydon to sundridge every time to play a round will soon start to grind, although it is a good set up.
if money and travelling is not an issue, London Club . Best courses around that area and superb practise facilities.
I
Not really much of a club feel about the place.When I was there as a members guest, it felt like a hotel lobby in the bar ?. Nice locker room ?

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Croham Hurst - i played there a couple of times as a kid and remember really liking it. The range was a bit small, but as Leftie says, space is at a premium and something is better than nothing. It is also very convenient for me, where i live now.

Farleigh -I mention this just to say why i've ruled it out as it would appear, on its face, to tick all my boxes. It has a very corporate feel to it. It does not appear to be a true members club that is geared towards its members, and has a pay and play feel. I love the range and use it regularly and can see why many would like the club - but it doesnt have the vibe for me.

Sundridge Park - Mr Leftie - you have drawn my attention to this club. It was not even on my radar as i thought it was miles away - it isnt! I hope i dont end up hating you for introducing me to the idea of this place....it looks lovely. I'm going to email and find out about pricing because what you say about interviewing 15 and having a wait list appears to suggest a course that can command a considerable premium. I'm hoping it is not out of my price range. I will also try to arrange a visit and check out the course / teaching / everything. If i am to join a club like this, it really has to be a forever club.

Tandridge - This was on my original list of two and people seem to suggest its good, if a bit snooty. Again, i can try and arrange a visit and judge the place out.

West Kent Golf Club - What do people think of this one? The lack of comments make me think its underwhelming? Leftie - you made some comments about it having improved (see, i have done some research into this - you made these comments back in 2013 on this forum). Have you played / have any experience of WKGC since then?

Kingswood - Looks nice and don't know much about it, so cannot rule it out without checking it out.

There is a final "curve ball" to throw into all of this that you guys may suggest is better for a separate thread as it is a distinct topic in its own right, but has become part of my thinking whilst trawling through all the website - academy membership. I know that this is not full membership and comes with a whole host of restrictions, but it has appeal for three reasons:

1. As i mentioned in the OP, i am coming back to golf after a long period off. Academy membership comes with a course of lessons that would force me to take them, rather than just hit the course blind and resume all the bad habits i once had.
2. It would provide me with a year to get a really good feel for the club, and for the members me, to see if i am right. Currently, i would not know anyone at any of these clubs to propose/second me.
3. I would get limited off peak access to the course, so would still be able to play.

Do people have any experience of academy membership / whether it is a good idea / whether it is frowned upon?

Sorry for all the questions - and thanks to all of you for your help through this decision.

I was mindful of where your base is and travelling preferences with my suggestions. I do know the area quite well.

Croham Hurst is almost a no brainer for you. Lovely course with 15 good holes. The other 3 (3/4/5th) are a bit meh but although short can be a card wrecker. I wasn't sure if their academy was for males as well as females but it appears that it is. I know 2 ladies who joined the club via the academy and one is now Ladies Captain elect. Only downside for you could be the slightly limited practice facilities. When I was leaving Westerham about 20 years ago, I was just about to join Croham when a friend who had recently joined Sundridge suggested I had a look there. I live half way between the two and having two courses arguably both probably better than CH was for me a no brainer. I don't know a lot about our academy but can try to get a bit of feedback on it tomorrow if you want. Travelling to SPGC for you could be a good 25/30 mins or more if you miss-time it. We have many, many members though who travel a lot further to play there - seniors coming in from Shoreham, Tonbridge and beyond and from central London.

West Kent and Kingswood would be about the same travelling time for you as SPGC. I have never played Kingswood so can't comment. West Kent however, I've played many times and really enjoy it. The only downside for me is that most of the course follows valleys with the greens near the "floor" of the valley and fairways on the right hand side. Now, righties may prefer 2nd shots above their feet but definitely not a leftie's course. Again, practice facilities are somewhat limited (the driving range is across the first hole). Not a bad bunch of guys there and I think that the social side is quite good but you would need a sober driver to get you home. ;)

As far as I can see, there are several pros and cons with the academy route and, as you rightly say, possibly the subject of another thread. I do know of people who have joined SPGC without any proposer/seconder as they have moved into the area, come back into golf, or just lied.....:mad:

Feel free to pm me if you want any further info.

Blakey

Medal Winner
Visit site
Kingswood is nice, I've only played it once but its good course, you also got Surrey downs and Surrey National in the same vacinity.

What about Hever Castle?

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Kingswood is a proprietary club, not a members club, with lodges and a wedding venue business. It's a pleasant course, I'm not sure how it drains in winter if you are a year round player.

https://www.kingswood-golf.co.uk/10_reasons_to_become_a_member

if corporate is a concern for you, then Kingswood also might not have the vibe for you.

West Kent always was a very friendly members club, with a layout that I thoroughly enjoy, the only downside is, as others have said, the access can be a little challenging. I say was purely because I haven't played there for a few years, but I always thoroughly enjoyed the course and the company when I played there. It is also unique in my golfing experience as the only clubhouse I've been it that was struck by lightning whilst I was inside it! :eek:

Langley Park is a layout I very much enjoy. Henry Cotton I believe said that a good golf course makes you use every club in your bag, and Langley Park did that to me; it was also an Open qualifying venue in years past. The membership was a little more reserved than West Kent when I played there, again some years ago, but still very pleasant.

Sundridge Park has the huge advantage of 2 very good courses of different character; one more rolling and open, the other quite hilly and tight. The clubhouse and members were always very welcoming and if if I lived over that way it would certainly be a club I'd seriously consider joining.

Tandridge is probably the pick of the courses on your list, a fantastic test and a very nice clubhouse with fantastic catering. I've always been made to feel very welcome when visiting.

Croham Hurst is another course I enjoy, although I'd second Leftie's thought that it's 15 + the 3 in the paddock.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Cuddington would be another course to look at within your 30 mins or so travel time. It's a nice course but I'm not sure what the practice facilities are like. I know a couple of members there and both are a bit dodgy nice gentlemen, one of whom will, I'm sure, be along soon to give more info.

Dave1980

Assistant Pro
Visit site
West Kent is one of the clubs that I am a member and have been there since 2005, albeit only a social member for the last couple of years. The course has massively improved over this time and they have a really good course manager and the old pro is now the general manager. They are not taking green fees at the moment, but this should be changing by the end of the month. So I would give them a call and see if you can get a preview round in at some point. They have spent quite a bit on improving the practice facilities in the last 2/3 years although the driving range does go across the first fairway and runs out at about 250 yards. There are loads of competitions and I never had a problem finding a game.

backtogolf

Visit site
Thank you all very much. I have emailed three out of the various options suggested (WKGC, SPGC and Tandridge) so look forward to seeing how those pan out, before possibly emailing any others if needs be. Its quite exciting having the buzz of golf slowly come back!

Blue in Munich

Visit site
Cuddington would be another course to look at within your 30 mins or so travel time. It's a nice course but I'm not sure what the practice facilities are like. I know a couple of members there and both are a bit dodgy nice gentlemen, one of whom will, I'm sure, be along soon to give more info.

Might be a bit of a stretch in 30 minutes Leftie, depending on exactly where in Croydon the OP is looking at where the OP is looking. Practice group is about 200 - 250 long, also has a shed to hit out of if it's tipping down (there's also a bar if it's tipping down (y) ). Lots of recent work removing trees which is starting to come good; you wouldn't recognise it.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Might be a bit of a stretch in 30 minutes Leftie, depending on exactly where in Croydon the OP is looking at where the OP is looking. Practice group is about 200 - 250 long, also has a shed to hit out of if it's tipping down (there's also a bar if it's tipping down (y) ). Lots of recent work removing trees which is starting to come good; you wouldn't recognise it.

Hmm. South Croydon - Cuddington? Would be disappointed to take more than 30 mins (peak travelling periods excepted).

Wouldn't recognise it ??? Don't hit it far enough now days to reach the trees that have been removed :). Would like to have another look when all this madness has settled down. Maybe a reciprocal for you to see our new bunkers ;) Got some new fairway ones at about 260 off the Whites. Just about your range :whistle:

C&R

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Have friends who were members there last year. Couldn’t play the courses for 2 months in the winter due to it been on clay and then coronavirus hit and closed again ( not the clubs fault ) when the membership renewals came out end of April NO DISCOUNT for all the months closures, not even a months free play They left for the Addington
Meant to say it was sundridge park they left

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have friends who were members there last year. Couldn’t play the courses for 2 months in the winter due to it been on clay and then coronavirus hit and closed again ( not the clubs fault ) when the membership renewals came out end of April NO DISCOUNT for all the months closures, not even a months free play They left for the Addington

They should have read the club's communications :rolleyes:

And I suppose no other club in the area had closure issues during that time. e.g. Langley Park - closed more than most. The Add is "lucky" that it is on gravel but this isn't a plus sometimes when playing your 2nd/3rd shot to the green (although it's better than it used to be). I've been a member of Sundridge for 20 years and I've only experienced 2 years where there have been more than a few days closure in the winter (other than from snow). Yes, during intense rainfall the river does flood closing some holes, but it is designed to do so to protect Lewisham from flooding (why ????????? :unsure:)

C&R

Assistant Pro
Visit site

And I suppose no other club in the area had closure issues during that time. e.g. Langley Park - closed more than most. The Add is "lucky" that it is on gravel but this isn't a plus sometimes when playing your 2nd/3rd shot to the green (although it's better than it used to be). I've been a member of Sundridge for 20 years and I've only experienced 2 years where there have been more than a few days closure in the winter (other than from snow). Yes, during intense rainfall the river does flood closing some holes, but it is designed to do so to protect Lewisham from flooding (why ????????? :unsure:)

did 150 members leave in may because of the closures? I’m not slating the place I love playing at spgc. I’m only telling what I heard Sorry

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site

And I suppose no other club in the area had closure issues during that time. e.g. Langley Park - closed more than most. The Add is "lucky" that it is on gravel but this isn't a plus sometimes when playing your 2nd/3rd shot to the green (although it's better than it used to be). I've been a member of Sundridge for 20 years and I've only experienced 2 years where there have been more than a few days closure in the winter (other than from snow). Yes, during intense rainfall the river does flood closing some holes, but it is designed to do so to protect Lewisham from flooding (why ????????? :unsure:)[/QUOT

would Lewisham be missed if it was swept away?

Reactions: C&R

Blue in Munich

Visit site

I'm trying to think why anyone would leave Sundridge Park for The Addington? That suggests an underlying issue other than the weather and the Covid 19 related problems.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
did 150 members leave in may because of the closures? I’m not slating the place I love playing at spgc. I’m only telling what I heard Sorry

No. You heard wrong.

Bear in mind that with approx 1500 members (not all with full playing rights), there will always be a sizable turnover for health/moving/death/etc reasons. As I understand it, 48 members did not renew their membership/resigned from the club but only 30 of those had full playing rights. So that's 30 - not the 150 you are bandying about. and 18 non-playing members. 78 members changed their category to social - some because they didn't play enough to justify full playing rights, some because of their employment position, some thinking that they wouldn't be playing again for several months so trying to save their monthly fees by not supporting the club, and others for whatever reason.

Hope your mates enjoy The Addington. Love playing there a couple of times a year but personally it's not a club that I would care to be a member of.